Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Which pair of speakers do you think will be chosen? (Please read details before voting.)

• Total voters
141 - 160 of 376 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I voted for the Focals. Just from what limited experience I've had with them, I loved the sound (and am looking forward to your review to see if I should try a set for my HT). That, and I have little to absolutely no experience with some of those others. I don't think I could vote on name alone. So, I had a few choices (by listening to other models within the brand) to choose from. :) Went with the Focal.

Have fun in your testing!

·
Registered
590 Posts
I voted for the Martin Logan Motion 12 set by spec. I feel that they will represent the better sonic capabilities where they will be placed in your environment. However you choose just have fun with your testing and let your own ears decide. :D

·
Registered
531 Posts
While I haven't heard any of the speakers in this evaluation my vote is for the Tekton Lore's which are probably the underdogs in this test since most people probably haven't heard of them. From the reviews that I've read they should put up quite a fight against the other big boys.

Whatever happens I'm really looking forward to hearing your impressions on all of these speakers.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Voted Vandersteen 2Ce . Why...they seem to have a long term reputation, they are less likely to be lister subjective (love/hate), a balanced speaker.

Have never listened to a pair, just from what I have heard or read about them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
These are all way kewl posts, listening to who likes what. Guess that's why there are apples and oranges.
It gets even more complicated when you remember these are people's selections based on the group of speakers selected and for the specified use, e.g. 2-channel listening, not necessarily what folks would choose for their their own use. For example I chose the Vandersteens for this use in this size room. However, I can't use Vandy's myself.

The only room I have large enough to get them far enough out from the walls to image properly is our main living room. This system is primarily HT that has to accommodate the whole family when they are over. This means folks who range in height from 4'8" to 6'4" and sitting on furniture of varying seat heights. The narrow, 6", vertical listening window of the Vandersteens would pose a problem for this use.

Then, while I do have a room set aside just for me for reading, listening to music or watching movies my wife doesn't want to watch, the Vandys won't work here because the room is too small (originally a child's bedroom) to get the speakers far enough away from the walls.

So even though I think he'll like the Vandersteens best, it doesn't mean I can have a pair of them. :sad:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mr Acoustat - I Love that comment " Think Outside the Box" - must remember that.
One of my current systems uses Magnepan 3.7R with twin REL G1 subs (corner loaded) and it sounds very nice, effortless and transparent with a huge soundstage. The other system used Infinity IRS Betas, which are a combo of box for the woofer towers and dipole for the planar mids & tops. It has certain qualities that make it a joy to listen to. Like most guys I guess my ideal speaker system would be a combination of the sounds & qualities of several brands & types that I have heard over the years.... now if we could have that Infinity IRS V soundstage and bass extension with the size & wife acceptance of a Proac Tablette and do it all for $1k.... dream on methinks...

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Any chance you can see which of the 8 speakers are less effected by side walls? :bigsmile:
It may be possible with REW... Wayne would probably know more about that than I would though. I will find out.

These are all way kewl posts, listening to who likes what.
Yep... I have thoroughly enjoyed reading them all. This has turned out to be a whole lot more fun that I anticipated. I think we'll definitely have to do more of these. :T

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mr Acoustat - I Love that comment " Think Outside the Box" - must remember that.
One of my current systems uses Magnepan 3.7R with twin REL G1 subs (corner loaded) and it sounds very nice, effortless and transparent with a huge soundstage. The other system used Infinity IRS Betas, which are a combo of box for the woofer towers and dipole for the planar mids & tops. It has certain qualities that make it a joy to listen to. Like most guys I guess my ideal speaker system would be a combination of the sounds & qualities of several brands & types that I have heard over the years.... now if we could have that Infinity IRS V soundstage and bass extension with the size & wife acceptance of a Proac Tablette and do it all for $1k.... dream on methinks...
How about this.?????

·
Registered
25 Posts
Planar speakers are generally less affected by side wall reflections as they have a null at the sides, and as they produce sound from both the front and rear they tend to energise the room more evenly which also reduces "hot spots" off side walls.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah, those are what I am searching for. In the meantime, in the meantime the smaller IRS Betas are doing me just fine..
I'm sure Gary would be happy to build you a pair.:rofl:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah I'm sure I could get a new pair of Genesis ones, but then I'd have no house as the divorce would be imminent ! Will keep on the lookout for a used pair of IRS and see what pops up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dunno where the photos went, thought I should be able to post them after having 5 posts, but maybe I am linking things wrongly, will read up on it & sort it out

·
Banned
79 Posts
Yep... I have thoroughly enjoyed reading them all. This has turned out to be a whole lot more fun that I anticipated. I think we'll definitely have to do more of these. :T
I think everyone is always interested in how there speakers compare. For those about to buy it gives you one more piece of info. Would be cool to do one for subs , and maybe one for a 1500 dollar receiver and 1500 dollar seperates.

141 - 160 of 376 Posts