Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 1088 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
This is a great thing to do for the forum. I would never be able to compare a group of speakers like that. Hopefully I will be able to put together a higher quality setup than my 3.1 system in the near future.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can't wait to hear the results of this shoot out as I fall right into this bracket. I recently sold my Salk Songtowers and center and moved to the SVS Ultras up front. This was a big improvement from me and I am glad i did it. This will be a great thread to follow.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I can't wait to hear the results of this shoot out as I fall right into this bracket. I recently sold my Salk Songtowers and center and moved to the SVS Ultras up front. This was a big improvement from me and I am glad i did it. This will be a great thread to follow.
Hi Steve, I'm curious about the 'big improvement" moving from Salk's to SVS Ultras as Salks have a very good reputation on speaker building. What part was a 'big' improvement (response, detail, imaging, etc.)? I really like the SVS Ultra looks and also SVS products, so not doubting you, just that Salks are made with some nice drivers/parts also with a good designer behind them.

I'm also very interested in this evaluation! I've heard some of the speakers on the list, but not a all (such as the SVS Ultras and the Emerald Physics). This should be interesting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is a great event, however, will this prove which speaker is truly better... Or that each speaker sounds differently? Comparing them is part of the fun of being an audiophile. The giveaway is fun too of course!

·
Registered
658 Posts
That top picture with all the speakers looks awesome! What a great collection of products. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing all the measurements and reading your thoughts on each system. While I'd be happy to own any of these speakers, the ones that interest me the most are the SVS Ultra Towers and the Emerald Physics CS2Ps, and I'm hoping one of these two will come out on top. What are the details of the $20,000 stereo system?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another great shoot-out to look forward to. I probably should have done a little forum digging before posting this, as the question I am about to pose may have already been answered, but it is early and i am already posting this response, so here it goes:

Have you done shoot-outs like these where a DIYer builds a set of speakers in the same price range that are then used in shootout and compared to the retail speakers? Or perhaps a restored vintage set that were either a) the same relative cost when new adjusted for inflation - or - b) similar in cost now if you take into account finding them, having them shipped if required and then the cost of rebuilding, re-foaming, etc? After a few years chasing the latest new speakers around, I have now collected and restored a decent size collection of vintage speakers. I am always surprised how in-expensive some of these units can be purchased for (25$ set of B&W's DM3000's at a garage sale anyone?) Or, sometimes they are even free when they only need new foam (I have a plethora of RS series Infinty's - they were all either cheap or free due to foam rot).

Just thought about this after seeing a few postings from members who say they don't have this kind of $$$ right now to spend on speakers. A few hours of time spent here on HTS helped me learn enough to put together some quite respectable sounding vintage systems on the cheap.

Anyway, I just thought about this due to one of my other hobbies that runs on money (vintage cars). You can spend 1k to 100k on a reconstruction, but some of the best hot-rodding comes from either re-purposing old parts in new ways or making some yourself.

On that note, I am looking forward to the shoot-out results...with the direction my HT addiction has taken the lately, I may own some of these units in 10 or 12 years ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm really looking forward to seeing how all these speakers stack up. I think the price point is just about where it needs to be for this evaluation. Kinda wish I could conduct this kind of test in my studio!

·
Registered
512 Posts
This kind of thing is what makes the forum great. A really well thought out comparison that most of us could never do on our own. My only wish is that I could loan you my own ears!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Good luck with this project.

One thing about shootouts is that it looks like you’re asking each product to do the same thing, which implies “fairness” or a level playing field. Except that everyone has different taste. This might manifest as a preference for one type of material for the participants in this “shootout”, i.e. action movie, drama, fantasy, etc. This is going to be true of all reviewers, so don't take this personally.

If you subject all of the systems to “one” type of movie, you might miss out on qualities that will revealed by and appreciated by a different type of listener. You may well reveal to your readers what your preferences are, but that may not be the same profile of preferences as your readers.

If you can, I’d suggest that your evaluations be further focused on reporting that might read “On drama with a lot of dialogue, the X system, dialogue intelligibility was higher making for a more relaxed, intimate experience; while on action movies the dialogue intelligibility didn’t matter, but the speakers shortcomings on macro dynamic swings was more evident; and finally, with music videos . . . .

Doing this lets the reader know what products “sing” under what conditions. Each listener reads with their own “agenda” and grading performance more finely will provide a more useful report.

Despite my long windedness here, I think this will be a fun event to be at. Hope you all have fun.

·
Registered
288 Posts
A DIY versus Manuf. evaluation would be incredible and would most likely let those of us building DIY speakers if there truly is fruit to be had of our labor. Although I can't afford a pair of $2500 speakers, this will be an interesting read. I enjoy reading listening impressions over interpreting graphs.

I too think this should be a blind folded evaluation for the listeners so that it erases bias, preconceived notions and any other irregularities that could skew the comparisons. Dedicate someone to place and wire up the speakers. Blind fold the listeners before entering the room and in no way let them know which speakers they will be listening to (making sure they are blind folded before seeing which speakers AREN'T in the room!). After they've heard the test material, as soon as they leave the room they write down their impressions WITHOUT TALKING TO EACH OTHER. Only after they write down their opinions can they share their thoughts. I know this would require more time and strict "rules" but would offer up the most "accurate" way to evaluate the speakers without influences.

Looking forward to reading more!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd have to say after looking at and reading about the speakers in the test, and my own life experiance being somewhat of an audiophile for 40 years the Martin Logans would be what I'd prefer in my home. The speed at which the information comes thru and the details you just don't hear on a piston type speaker makes them as close to live as I've ever heard.:wave:

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'd love to be a part of a shootout like this! Those MartinLogan's in the back sure make the ElectroMotion ESL's look small LOL. It'll be interesting to see how the ML EM ESL's compare to the Magnepan's (well the others too).

·
Registered
39 Posts
No reason to limit this concept to speakers. Could also do receivers at various price points (low, mid, top end) and TVs/displays. Although TV are a bit tougher because of the complication of calibration for best performance. I'm sure people would love to see a properly staged apples-to-apples competitive comparison of the major top end AV receivers. Denon, Pioneer Elite, Onkyo, Yamaha, Anthem, maybe Cambridge if avaialbe

·
Registered
11 Posts
This looks like a great speaker evaluation. I'm looking forward to the results. I'm assuming you're evaluating the speakers by themselves full range without the addition of a sub? Also, I'd like to see a list of the music you're going to use for the evaluation.

·
Registered
95 Posts
What! No Bose?????? But seriously, this is a great idea and it should be an interesting attempt at an impartial evaluation of some interesting speakers. Can't wait for the results. Would've liked to see the TOTL GoldenEar speakers, however.

Jim

·
Registered
78 Posts
This is awesome! I wish forums would do this more often other than just reviewing one speaker - here's a chance to see how one speaker compares to a bunch so if you are in the market for a new pair and are deciding between a few in the shootout I think it provides valuable information to help someone make their decision on which one to go with!

I would like to see a few shootouts in categories up to about $10,000 - I think after that point you start to reach diminishing returns!

Keep up the good work!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I look forward to your detailed evaluations including pictures of the equipment as well as surroundings. So many times speakers sound different from room to room. We have tried various sound treatments and floor coverings with varied results. Your descriptions of the furniture, room size and other factors will be appreciated. I am very interested in your findings regarding higher end speakers as I am unable to evaluate any of those brands locally. Thanks for going to all the trouble to arrange this!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds like a great event and I really like the emphasis that it's an audition and not a shootout. Everyone has different ears and tastes so it's pointless to try and claim one piece is "the best". Can't wait to read the results!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi, It is good to see the Magnepan and Martin logan electrostatic speakers in a shootout.. I am interested to see how they fair compared to a Cone Speaker..

Since I am in the market and was thinking of getting some Maggies. I am wondering what others thought of them..
I was wondering since you are using a Oppo and it proally has SACD/DVD-Audio capabilities are you going to play and multichannel disks either SACD or DVD-A??

41 - 60 of 1088 Posts