Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 1088 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am definately interested in seeing the SACD capabilities of this system. I can think of a few disks that would be ideal tryout SACD's!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow that's a great line of speakers up for the TEST, cant be there in person but looking forward for the results, Lets get ready to rumble and enjoy the show guys.
PS: Hope someone can post a short video on youtube later !

·
Registered
11 Posts
I look forward to finding out about the results. Information like this helps us consumers make better buying decisions without having to spend endless hours searching for locations that sell the various combinations - if they do at all. Thanks for "working" hard at getting these evaluations done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
At $2500 all these are way out of my budget, however I am glad this is being done. I always enjoy getting the truth about products. I wonder if, it may sound crazy, but if internal cabinet design could be explored and commented on. I am sure most people would think :unbelievable: when reading about opening up a set of $2000+ speakers to see its guts, I just find it interesting what the big players do to the guts, if they brace them, if they are double baffled, material thickness etc etc etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Steve, I'm curious about the 'big improvement" moving from Salk's to SVS Ultras as Salks have a very good reputation on speaker building. What part was a 'big' improvement (response, detail, imaging, etc.)? I really like the SVS Ultra looks and also SVS products, so not doubting you, just that Salks are made with some nice drivers/parts also with a good designer behind them.

I'm also very interested in this evaluation! I've heard some of the speakers on the list, but not a all (such as the SVS Ultras and the Emerald Physics). This should be interesting.
What I meant was for my listening environment and material (rock/hard rock music) the Salks just didn't seem like a good fit for me. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Salks and they sounded great but I wanted something different and for now the SVS have done it. The soundstage is definitely bigger with the SVS and I really like the ultra center for movies better than the Salk. I don't know how else to put it, just that they sound better to my ears, and that's what I've always been told is what counts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have not seen this posted anywhere, although it may exist somewhere on the web. I would absolutely LOVE to see a blind comparison of the CABLES used in this test versus generic, if only a quick one. I notice that you are using XLR cables, which I always thought were only a benefit for longer runs between components, is that the case for this test? If you could at least test the speaker wires versus generic 12 gauge wire from Monoprice or whatever. Not sure how much of a premium the RAM cables command, but it adds up fast when you are running a 7.x or 9.x system. I realize that RAM is a sponsor, but I would hope that you could indulge us. Especially when it comes to digital cables, like HDMI, I fail to see how one cable could be better than another, so long as it actually works, since they transmit only 1s and 0s.

·
Registered
507 Posts
:wow:

HTShack is at it again and I personally wish to shout out a big :thankyou: to all of the HTShack members and sponsors involved, :yourock:

The lineup of speakers here is :eek:utstanding: and I can't wait to see/read yalls impressions! I learned a lot before/during/after the 1k speaker evaluation and I expect the same this time around as well.

:eek:fftopic2:
Spoiler
This is going to be a great read, can't wait for the $250 dollar shoutout :)
:rofl: , +1 JQueen
I have a feeling the Pioneers designed by Andrew Jones would be a top performer in that price range :eek:lddude:

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is fantastic! What joy it must be to play with so many toys. This is really helpful since how do we ever get the opportunity to review such a variety in our own.

We appreciate it...I am sure you do too :)
Brian

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
That truly is a killers row of speakers being auditioned. Better still that the room and associated equipment are stellar. While many stores might satisfy the latter, most of the stores I have been to have been lacking in respect to acoustics.

Many props to all involved and I look forward to the results.
All the best,
Jack

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Great Timing

Coincidentally, I am neck deep in my first paying DIY speaker build for my #1 client.... I have invested apprx $2500 in drivers and xover components from PE... Wishing my design could be evaluated at your event (sigh) I was up til 2 am last night wiring the cabinets as Im pushing for a delivery and install next weekend... I have certainly learned alot from my time spent reading speaker reviews and studying the speaker build projects here at HTS.... Ill be posting up my project soon and am looking forward to reading the results of your evaluations.... Maybe the next trip could have a member sponsored to attend.... Thanks again for all you that contribute... I benefit much as do my clients, and it is highly appreciated... Thanks again Sonnie... :T

·
Registered
41 Posts
Im mostly looking forward to the $20,000 two channel setup since all of these are simply a dream for me, I might as well dream BIG! Excited to see the results.

You guys live the dream life with all these "toys" you get to play with

·
Registered
251 Posts
I love these tests!!..I just finished up my dedicated home theater and thinking of making an upgrade, so this is perfect timing!!..I trust your opinion and it will highly influence my decision..I can't wait to hear your evaluation on the SVS Ultra Towers!!..Have fun guys and thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great idea here and I am really looking forward to the results. The speakers chosen are some of the ones that I would like to audition but dont have access to in this area without driving 1.5-2 hours. Even then, I may get to listen to 1 or 2 or drivers that have been chosen.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looking forward to the panels comments on all the said speakers. How they interact with the room what each individual likes and dislikes and how they describe their strenght and weakness with the various source material. Fwiw...I own the Ascend Towers and voted fro them eariler....but GTG or listening sessions as this I always fine very compelling & interesting to read.

Thanks HTS....Bill...:D

·
Registered
730 Posts
This is very cool. I wish I had a way to come and hear how the system sounds. I have won some of the contest they have here on the Home theater shack. I won some great speakers twice! I am still using them and love them but I am thinking these maybe better then my current speakers. I love the look of a lot of these speakers I just hope they sound as good as they look!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Good luck with this project.

One thing about shootouts is that it looks like you’re asking each product to do the same thing, which implies “fairness” or a level playing field. Except that everyone has different taste.
Yes, in my limited experience, it is difficult to agree on material with which all listeners are sufficiently familiar
to identify reproduction differences, not least because folks will become so tired of that material that they
may not want to hear it again for quite a long time.

I think this will be a fun event to be at. Hope you all have fun.
It would be interesting for comparison to have participants, prior to the event,
document what results they anticipate.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sure wish I could be a part of that! I guess some guys have all the luck. I do look forward to seeing the results since I will not be able to hear the results. It's nice to know though that there is a forum out here that you have some serious minded people that are willing to slave themselves into watching and listening to great A/V equipment and willing to post the results so others can have a little of something to go on. This makes for an easier task for the DIY that wants a good starting point. You sure you want to wait for such a long time to run this test? Tomorrow would be a good starting time!

·
Registered
328 Posts
This looks very compelling. I would love to watch video highlights of the event, but I can understand about all the work that would require to record, edit, post, etc. But there's always a next time. But what might be cool in the meantime:

:ponder: Maybe we could have a mini-contest/poll to decide which blu-rays you guys evaluate on? :ponder:

I'm sure all the discs will be demo/reference grade titles by all accounts.

I'm really curious as to how the Paradigms do in this event and will be waiting to see the results. Paradigms and Axioms have been my favorites for a long time. Granted, I am an unabashed Axiom fanboy. But still I like good sound wherever it comes from.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've heard a lot about this event, but just felt that it's not really of great interest outside of the USA. Many of the models listed aren't available over here so it's of limited interest I'm afraid. Added to that I've just spent £4,500 (sterling) on speakers since I could find anything cheaper that was suitable.

(Hope that wasn't too negative, but it did exceed 25 words ;) ).

61 - 80 of 1088 Posts