Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1001 - 1020 of 1088 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mostly agreed on the idea that a good speaker for music should make a good speaker for movies too. The only exception would be those that are unable to handle lots of power and play loud enough. Now, sometimes the reverse is not true - sometimes a speaker will be voiced to be initially very impressive for theater but end up disappointing for music. Ultimately it will probably prove to be not as great for movies as initially thought for the discerning listener though.
I listen to music pretty loud sometimes. I play movies with significant amounts of music in them sometimes.

The true bottom-end of sound, where the subharmonics of, say, Master and Commander run, are perhaps not heavily represented in music (they do exist though). I would also say that the possibility exists in stereo LF recordings of having sounds that will not sum well electrically to go into a subwoofer; but I think these are relative outliers rather than common-case.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Sonnie,
earlier you mentioned that the low grade finish on the Arx speaker cabinets are a negative point. Anything can be re-finished. New real-wood laminate or paint of any color with any degree of gloss finish is possible.
Would this make the Arx speakers cost more than they are worth?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,004
I don't think I stated "low grade", but rather that I just did not prefer it. It might be more like mid grade if I had to grade it.

I think each person would ultimately have to decide what they would be worth to them with whatever finish they prefer. In my opinion they are already worth more than they cost. If they had a high quality painted Satin Black finish, to me they would be worth even more.

You are probably asking that backwards... you should ask would it make them worth more than they cost, not would it make them cost more than they are worth.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
The finish on the Arx speakers seems best described as basic, simple, entry-level. It is a nice enough finish, and there are some fairly expensive speakers that are available with that as their basic finish with options for more refined finishes involving more expensive veneers and more time-consuming staining or painting processes. Its low-reflection surface is really a pretty good home theater choice. But some will prefer a different look and might even choose a speaker that is known to not perform as well sonically but will look better in their room.

For me, the sonics are everything, and as long as a speaker is finished and not banged up - and even that can not be said of my beloved 20+ year old Polk Monitor 5jr's, which had a piece of collapsing ceiling fall on one of them - I am pretty happy. Sonnie has said it is not his favorite finish, but you will note he still has that pair of A5's.

Refinishing a pair of purchased speakers is not trivial. Doing it right means complete dis-assembly, and not everyone is that brave (probably resulting in a voided warranty) with a new $800 purchase.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sonnie,
earlier you mentioned that the low grade finish on the Arx speaker cabinets are a negative point. Anything can be re-finished. New real-wood laminate or paint of any color with any degree of gloss finish is possible.
Would this make the Arx speakers cost more than they are worth?
True. Anything can be rebraced, re-cabineted, re-crossovered, or re-drivered as well though, yes?

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Arx finish is a good quality version of the ubiquitous simulated black ash that's been adorning all the hipper, sexier, trendier, and finer loudspeaker brands for decades. Who knew?

Given that it seriously impacts price, what threw us, actually, was the growing demand for a high impact semi-gloss black catalyzed paint. Actually what threw us was the call for paint, and we put in place the means to make that particular finish and others.

In December we'll start to prototype the first 2014 A5 in paint along with an A7 tower, which is a new concept, also in paint. I think it's safe to say that Q2 2014 should see as much as the entire line available in paint for an upcharge.

I ask that you remember that the reason Arx costs what it does is that ultra-cool PVC wrap people have forsaken so many cozy Black Friday soirees nationwide to admire. In a black paint they will rise.

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
The Arx finish is a good quality version of the ubiquitous simulated black ash that's been adorning all the hipper, sexier, trendier, and finer loudspeaker brands for decades. Who knew?

Given that it seriously impacts price, what threw us, actually, was the growing demand for a high impact semi-gloss black catalyzed paint. Actually what threw us was the call for paint, and we put in place the means to make that particular finish and others.

In December we'll start to prototype the first 2014 A5 in paint along with an A7 tower, which is a new concept, also in paint. I think it's safe to say that Q2 2014 should see as much as the entire line available in paint for an upcharge.

I ask that you remember that the reason Arx costs what it does is that ultra-cool PVC wrap people have forsaken so many cozy Black Friday soirees nationwide to admire. In a black paint they will rise.
Something to think about. If you offer paint... Will you only offer black or will you do custom colors too?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,009
I have no plans to sell my A5's... at least not until the A7 painted version comes to Cedar Creek Cinema and Listening Room. :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
If anyone can translate this into American, please PM me. :D

·
Registered
918 Posts
Jon,
Hopefully you will continue to offer great sound with the cheap"er" finishes. I would much rather pay for the sound than the look. And because of this speaker evaluation I may end up being a paying customer soon.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Jon,
Hopefully you will continue to offer great sound with the cheap"er" finishes. I would much rather pay for the sound than the look. And because of this speaker evaluation I may end up being a paying customer soon.
Jon and I have been discussing this - how to keep the less expensive vinyl wrap finish for the budget conscious customer while bringing some paint finishes into the line up of ARX speakers.

Feedback like yours is helping to confirm that we need to keep the most cost effective approach available along with the higher priced catalyzed paint finishes. Thank you. :T

·
Registered
267 Posts
Jon and I have been discussing this - how to keep the less expensive vinyl wrap finish for the budget conscious customer while bringing some paint finishes into the line up of ARX speakers.
There's a speaker builder near me. He actually contracts out cabinet building in general, but even if he didn't this story would go the same.

Like you, he's using relatively basic wrap and finishes, but as his speakers are moving into higher price categories, I think there's a market for "better looking" finishes for him as well.

My recommendation to him is going to be to contract out those finishes (to a local artist actually). This lets him continue to do exactly what he's doing while saying "and if you want the fancy finish, I hand the unfinished cabinet over to a subcontractor and you pay the costs". We'll see if he likes the idea.

·
Registered
868 Posts

Feedback like yours is helping to confirm that we need to keep the most cost effective approach available along with the higher priced catalyzed paint finishes. Thank you. :T
I second that feedback. It's nice to have a gorgeous speaker, but my budget demands that I spend every available penny on the best acoustical performance possible. Perhaps that would be different if I had five-figure money to spend and I could have the best of both worlds. That's not where I am at right now though.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
There's a speaker builder near me. He actually contracts out cabinet building in general, but even if he didn't this story would go the same.

Like you, he's using relatively basic wrap and finishes, but as his speakers are moving into higher price categories, I think there's a market for "better looking" finishes for him as well.

My recommendation to him is going to be to contract out those finishes (to a local artist actually). This lets him continue to do exactly what he's doing while saying "and if you want the fancy finish, I hand the unfinished cabinet over to a subcontractor and you pay the costs". We'll see if he likes the idea.
Jon has something in the works that is fairly close to what you are suggesting. Our new subwoofer line up (100 units are in production now) will be all "USA Built" as will some of the higher end ARX designs on which he is working.

When he gets more of this sorted out, look for some details on this. I think everyone will like where he is headed with the A-7's that Sonnie has been pushing Jon to build.

1001 - 1020 of 1088 Posts