Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1041 - 1060 of 1088 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
No. Working on it now. I should know better, but had an editing error wherein I lost a day's worth of writing. Bummer.
Seeing all the work that went into the review and witnessing the extensive listening and note-taking involved, I'm impressed you didn't tell Sonnie the Catalyst 8C review could wait till next year! :dizzy:

Only those who have made related attempts at such extensive reviewing have any idea as to the work involved in such efforts. Hats off to the 4 of you. I'll try and make my presence more known where appropriate in the coming weeks & months.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Seeing all the work that went into the review and witnessing the extensive listening and note-taking involved, I'm impressed you didn't tell Sonnie the Catalyst 8C review could wait till next year! :dizzy:

Only those who have made related attempts at such extensive reviewing have any idea as to the work involved in such efforts. Hats off to the 4 of you. I'll try and make my presence more known where appropriate in the coming weeks & months.
Well, Mark, I would love to have your presence somewhere in the state of Wisconsin after I take delivery of some amazing new speakers! ;)

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hmmm, I think I may have had my expectations set too high on these. Being bright in Sonnies room would mean that in someones untreated livingroom they may be a problem. The mushy bass mentioned may be something that can be dealt with if an external EQ is added even the brightness but if your going to hook them up directly to a receiver (most people will) not sure what would work.
I love the looks of the SVS towers and was considering them for a two channel system but given the above reviews Im not sure now.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,046
Ultimately I did not think they were bright... and they certainly were not bright at CAF (large room) nor RMAF (small room) in completely untreated rooms.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,283 Posts
Well, Mark, I would love to have your presence somewhere in the state of Wisconsin after I take delivery of some amazing new speakers!
Well now, there's a surprise (not) ;); seems like every GTG I've been to where Mark has also been in attendance at least one person buys something from him. It's almost predictable at this point.

For those interested... Mark will be on a podcast this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Well now, there's a surprise (not) ;); seems like every GTG I've been to where Mark has also been in attendance at least one person buys something from him. It's almost predictable at this point.

For those interested... Mark will be on a podcast this afternoon.
Nice guess Jim... ;)

Mark made an offer that I just could not refuse!

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I suppose it depends on what you are looking to help you choose a speaker... not sure why else you would look at speaker testing... other than maybe entertainment. Knowing that 90% of people preferred flat over voiced doesn't help me learn anything... other that 90% of people preferred flat over voiced. I want real world variables for what would be typical. It is not typical for a person to sit in front of one speaker. If it were an evaluation like we did... it might be useful for me. As it is and as it was done, it serves no purpose for me. I can't get any closer to determining what speaker I would buy based on that testing. :huh:

If the test is to determine preferred qualities, they missed quite a few that would be what I would prefer. The reason I do speaker comparisons is to determine what speakers sound the best to me. We share that info with our readers, but it won't tell them what is best for them, although it might tell them that certain qualities are easier to obtain with speaker x over speaker y. That is why it is more useful.
Very well stated Sonnie. :clap: While a speaker may tend to have a certain quantitative quality all be it flat or voiced the so called "best speaker" is determined by a infinite variable which is an individuals specific preference and personal hearing ability.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hmmm, I think I may have had my expectations set too high on these. Being bright in Sonnies room would mean that in someones untreated livingroom they may be a problem. The mushy bass mentioned may be something that can be dealt with if an external EQ is added even the brightness but if your going to hook them up directly to a receiver (most people will) not sure what would work.
I love the looks of the SVS towers and was considering them for a two channel system but given the above reviews Im not sure now.
I feel the same way as you do about the SVS towers. I am leaning towards going with Paradigm for my next speaker upgrade but the Paradigm 60s may be a little to expensive for me. The new Paradigm Ref. 20s look really nice and that is what I currently have even though they are about 13 years old. They still sound great after all these years.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I feel the same way as you do about the SVS towers. I am leaning towards going with Paradigm for my next speaker upgrade but the Paradigm 60s may be a little to expensive for me. The new Paradigm Ref. 20s look really nice and that is what I currently have even though they are about 13 years old. They still sound great after all these years.

I love my Ultra Towers. Other owners I have spoken to haven't complained about the brightness. I would still urge you to give them a demo, especially since they are risk free. I don't think I would ever consider trading mine for a pair of Studio 60s. Especially if you need a true full range tower for music without a sub, as the bass is much better on the towers that the Studio 60s. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I keep getting eMails asking me to reply here. As a 2PH3 Klipsch array (Stereo Klipshorns and LaScala in the middle, mono, about -6 db on wide wall), life was good. Then came Home Theater on DVD.....5.1. and the quest began................using only old dollars, on the cheap.

I have all pro Klipsch gear, all used, from a Regal theater that got all new stuff for 7.1 Onkyo receiver fed by used OPPO 83 SE with the Sabre DACs. The Ausyssey XT saves the day for the room (amazing). 4 KPT-200 for sides and rears (100 db sensitivity), Heresy for Center voice channel. R and L are a tri-amped horn "stack" Peavey FH-1 bass bins (stronger, cheaper than LaScala) with EVM 15L PEQ'd with a Behringer DCX active 50-320 Hz. (no inductor on woofer) Mid horn Klipsch K-402 with K-1133 320-4,000 Hz. to B&C DE-250 tweeter on QSC horn that looks like a "mini-me" of the big midrange horn. Power is B&K multichannel with gain tweaks for each section at 60 W per section, all gain tweaked before applying Audyssey. Since I use 0.025 watts to get to 85 db at my sweet spot, and about 0.010 W on the mid & tweet I have a minimum of 33 db headroom for whatever "crest factor" hapens. Front and Rear center wall Super Spud subs from Danley the incredible DTS-10's (100 db/W) driven by used Adcom 555 gen 1 stereo amp with RCA Y0connected mono from receiver Sub output.

For CD's, I use the SE output to the receiver Analog input which still give me 2.1 with the Danley subs and Audyssey XT EQ and Dynamic volume. Bottomless bass with micro resolution and scary dynamics on all program materials from good recordings. The ridiculously low distortion and transient response makes some recordings (mostly pop and rock) unlistenable at high volumes.

Blue Rays with modern LFE vibrate stuff at the other end of the house, along with the couch frame right where I sit 9 feet from JVC LED TV. It's ok, I don't want anymore kids anyhow.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Let the reviews be a guide, but I recommend you audition the SVS Towers for yourself. I've never heard them have sloppy bass, and I'd call them extended on top but not bright. IMHO they are one of the best bargains around. When I've heard them I thought they gave a little away in ultimate detail to the best, but were quite competitive in midrange naturalness, soundstaging, bass dynamics and extension, and ability to play loud without glare, and they look like they cost $10K.

·
Registered
487 Posts
If the 60's are out of your reach check out the Paradigm Monitor 11. You get 70% of the aesthetics and 95% of the sound for 50% of the price.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I love my Ultra Towers. Other owners I have spoken to haven't complained about the brightness. I would still urge you to give them a demo, especially since they are risk free. I don't think I would ever consider trading mine for a pair of Studio 60s. Especially if you need a true full range tower for music without a sub, as the bass is much better on the towers that the Studio 60s. Just my opinion.
Thanks for the input. Yes, I would actually like to hear the SVS Towers for myself before I make a definite judgement.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Let the reviews be a guide, but I recommend you audition the SVS Towers for yourself. I've never heard them have sloppy bass, and I'd call them extended on top but not bright. IMHO they are one of the best bargains around. When I've heard them I thought they gave a little away in ultimate detail to the best, but were quite competitive in midrange naturalness, soundstaging, bass dynamics and extension, and ability to play loud without glare, and they look like they cost $10K.
Yes, auditioning them for myself is the best way to make a good decision.

If the 60's are out of your reach check out the Paradigm Monitor 11. You get 70% of the aesthetics and 95% of the sound for 50% of the price.
I have heard good things about the Monitor line for Paradigm. I just want speakers that sound as good or better then what I currently have.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Unless they have changed a lot, the only Paradigms I heard were two generations of Monitors and I thought they were extremely veiled. I had to assume that the Studios and Signatures were quite different to get the acclaim they did. That was about three years ago, I believe.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
FWIW, the room & setup seem to make quite a difference. I agree there is a lot of value there and they are worth a try in one's own environment the way they will be used. Be sure you have a measurement mic to see how well they match.

1041 - 1060 of 1088 Posts