Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1061 - 1080 of 1088 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wayne has those too and that review should be forthcoming not too long from now.
I almost feel sorry for Wayne having to get through those reviews. Then I note that the review comes after spending time listening to and enjoying some very nice gear and my sympathy wanes a bit over such arduous and unrewarding work. ;)

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,064
And he goes all out on his reviews... takes a lot of time and gets very detailed.

He has no doubt been hustling with the HTD, Seaton and MartinLogan reviews. He's flying over to our home in January to review the Montis and Stage X. And no telling what else.

·
Registered
19 Posts
And he goes all out on his reviews... takes a lot of time and gets very detailed.

He has no doubt been hustling with the HTD, Seaton and MartinLogan reviews. He's flying over to our home in January to review the Montis and Stage X. And no telling what else.
Yes, Wayne' s work and effort put into his, what is as you say, "very detailed", reviews are certainly appreciated. They make for a great read, as attested to by the desire on the forum.

Edit..while I envy his listening sessions, I deffinately do not envy his work load that follows

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Wayne has those too and that review should be forthcoming not too long from now.
I am truly looking forward to his review on the Logan's. They do so much well and only a very few things less well.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
When I first got into building speakers I heard about the company Focal. After reading information from there website it looked like their drivers were something I would be interested in using in a project. Unfortunately their products seem to be a bit pricey so I abandoned the idea and eventually found this site and started making some of these builds but I would be very interested in the focal evaluation. I hope others agree.:paddle:

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
When I first got into building speakers I heard about the company Focal. After reading information from there website it looked like their drivers were something I would be interested in using in a project. Unfortunately their products seem to be a bit pricey so I abandoned the idea and eventually found this site and started making some of these builds but I would be very interested in the focal evaluation. I hope others agree.:paddle:
In this round of evals, unfortunately, we did not evaluate any Focal speakers. We did, however, evaluate the 716V in the $1000 event. You can find our review here:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/two-channel-audio/69421-official-1-000-speaker-evaluation-home-audition-event-results.html#post634758

·
Registered
868 Posts
I don't think you've missed it. I've been checking every few days myself, waiting with baited breath. I guess you can't rush Wayne, and really there's no reason to because, if history is any guide, when it comes out it will be really in-depth and worth the wait.

I suppose it will be with other reviews when it is published. That would be in the General Shack Area > Home Theater, Audio and Video Equipment Reviews > Speaker and Subwoofer Reviews.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
It wasn't about winning or losing...it was more about extoling the virtures of each speakers design based on a given format. All speakers have their strengths & weaknesses, depending on what you like in a speaker & given your room responce, might give you some insight into a speaker(s) to listen to.

That being said, sometimes it's not too hard to tell if somebody liked a particular speaker.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Exactly. Every one of the speakers that we reviewed would be a winner for someone. And a loser for some other. The first of our group reviews was intended ton find one winner, but it was in the context of what Sonnie wanted for his priorities, in his room, with his equipment choices. Even that one ended up being very hard to decide.

Speakers vary in so many ways that it is impossible to say one is better than the other in any objective sense. We all have different ideas of what sounds good, where speakers can or should be placed, expectations for dynamics and bass extension, aesthetics, and design preferences.

As a reviewer it is very difficult to impart an understanding of the product without filtering through one's own perception and preferences. What we tried to do was focus on getting the best out of each speaker with optimum placement and exploring what each did well, and not so well, under the same conditions to the degree practical. You have to read the reviews of each to get a window on that experience and to get some idea of how each speaker might work for you or might not.

All of the speakers we reviewed have an appeal to someone and do lots of things right. There are also dozens more that we did not review that are just as good in some way, or maybe better. We did not intend to end up with a one step buying guide, just to make a dent in the problem of our readers better understanding a wide array of speakers. And have some fun. As Tonto will confirm, it certainly was that.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Very nice selection. I wish there were more local places to audition these on my own. But living vicariously through the reviewers has to be the next best thing. And each pair is a gem in it's own right. :)

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
It was a blast, and a pure joy to meet you guys in person. If I walked away with anything, it was realizing how a room can really effect a speakers sound. There are several compaines that allow for in home demo, some even offer return shipping. While it is a bit of expence, comparing "in house" is the best way to evaluate a speaker. Coodos to Sonnie & HTS for putting this on.

Hopefuly there will be more!!! A bookshelf eval would sure be nice!!! Hint, hint, hint.

·
Registered
868 Posts
+1. I get the feeling though that Sonnie was spearheading this and that current management is not similarly motivated. Hoping I am wrong on that. I was actually reading some of the $3000 event last night and was reminded of just how interesting and insightful these events were.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just a guess, but I don't think any speaker manufacturer wants to be involved in a "shoot-out" for fear of not being #1, or shudder, coming in last. And all based on an arbitrary group of dudes (and ladies?). Now this group was obviously incredibly professional and the results of a shoot-out would likely be applicable to a wide ranging audience. But the manufacturers have no way of knowing how good any particular "group of dudes" will conduct what needs to be a very scientific study.

*Now*, that said, I disagree with those who say "there can be no winner". I think if you take ~ > 5 experienced listeners and give them excellent review conditions, preferably with the ability to blindly A/B switch. Then give them let's say 100 points to allocate among the transducers as they see fit. Then add up the points and publish. I think it would be a reasonably good buying guide for those not able to do a study like this themselves.

So I think it's possible to conduct a good shootout, in theory. But who among us has enough money to buy 6 $2500 speakers for testing purposes and then set up an excellent experiment as described above? Don't go looking for submissions from manufacturers. Like I said above, no matter their confidence level, they're all scared to death sales will plummet when they wind up in the middle or bottom of the list -- in a situation that's out of their control. In fact, I wouldn't even put it past a deep-pocketed manufacturer to sue a shoot-out publisher for misrepresenting their product and harming their ability to earn.

Possible in theory? Yes. Practical? Nope.

1061 - 1080 of 1088 Posts