Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

101 - 120 of 1088 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Magnepan speakers are fast, if placed properly seem to disappear and by virtue of their midrange performance are incredible with live recordings. However, placing them correctly is the key. With stereo it is possible to place them perfectly and create a magnificent sound stage. Home theater is another matter. For instance, I have a 110 inch screen and the 1.7's would need to be far enough apart to flank the screen. Not ideal for the Magnepans. I am curious to see if you can place them to maximum advantage in your home theater. Once upon a time, subwoofers were extremely difficult to integrate with Magneplanars because of the speed advantage the Magneplanars membrane construction. Happily, subs like the Kreisel DXD 2012 have cured that problem. With the right placement and the right sub Magneplanars provide one of the most realistic performances I have heard.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sonnie et al:

Good luck in your latest adventure. It's sure to be entertaining and informative.

When I read the title, I wasn't sure if it was about $2500 speakers or $2500 speaker pairs. Since I'm not familiar with the specific models under evaluation, I checked a couple out and it's $2500 speaker pairs in case anyone else is unsure like I was.

Again, you guys will have a blast and do a service to the community at the same time. Thanks! :T

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looking forward to the results of the speaker evaluation, especially the Magnepans. I have always wondered how they sound and compare to traditional cone type speakers. I have thought at times of upgrading my current speakers to Magnepans.

This evaluation has peaked my interest and I may have to go to the dealer in town to have a listen.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am as well interested in these results, specially the Magnepan 1.7. I have always being curios about them and many people use to bring up the Magnepans when I bought my av123 Strata Minis.
From what I am reading, Magnepan behaves similar to the Strata MInis in which you do not want to place them too far apart or the stereo soundfield will collapse.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Awesome. I was wondering when we'd see the speaker comparison. Will all of it be evaluated by ear or will there be special equipment brought in? I'd love to see the real world frequency response of these speakers to help me better understand when it comes to speaker building and matching.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Great Idea!
I'm looking forward to the results from your testing. I've considered Magnapan products before, but couldn't decide since I didn't have any actual test data at my disposal at that time. I'll be really interested in all the results of your testing.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
So glad to see this thing kicking off now. I've been anticipating it since the last eval. I'm not going to be there for this event, but if it's anything like the last one, I know you guys are in for a great time.

I can speak to how serious these evals are, having been part of the last one. We did not give any precidence to any speaker ahead of time. We set them up, spent the time necessary to position them to the best of our ability, and had no time limits on each evaluator...even allowed for extra music. We truely stated what we heard. Those were some great speakers, I can only imagine how these are gonna sound!

Sonnie has a great forum here & all I can say it it's great to be a part of it.

PS: Guy's, don't let Sonnie get out of smoking the ribs this time!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like a great event. Although since I live in San Diego, this is a bit far to travel. I hear there is a rocky mountain event which is closer, but obviously southern California would be idea. I currently have a 5.1 theatre system using Onyko TX-NR616 receiver, and a Optomo HD33 3D projector. Would love to upgrade to a 7.1 or 7.2 configuration which my receiver supports. I use two Boston 8 inch ceiling flush speakers for my two surround sound positions, and Polk (replaceable) for my other 3 speakers which are adequate but definitely not optimized. I do have a woofer, failing to remember the name at the moment, but definitely in market for getting the most out of my sound system.

I am wondering if wireless is possible for my last two speakers (upgrading from 5.1 to 7.1 or 7.2), as I would like to get away from pulling wires if at possible. Perhaps a complete 5 speaker system that includes a pair of wireless, while still using my ceiling mounted Boston speakers for the 6th and 7th speaker? Anyway, open to as much guidance and recommendations as possible.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am very interested in this speaker evaluation because you have 2 brands of speakers that I particularly anxious to hear about. That would be the Paradigm 60 and the SVS Ultra line. I have had my Paradigm Ref. 20's for 14 years now and while they still sound very good and I have been thinking about upgrading after all these years to something like the Paradigm 60s or even the SVS Ultra.

This is a great idea and comes at an appropriate time for me with my interest in these speakers. Thanks again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wish I could be there to hear them all myself. Way too much fun, I wish my job was like that.

I will be very curious to see how the SVS speakers stack up against the others.

Please get the results posted quickly so we don't have to wait much longer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can't make the audition! !! Glad to see some of the speakers I thought should be reviewed will be included, particularly interested in the SVS and Paradigm feedback and with that Anthem amp....oh my goodness!!! Great event, looking forward to the results!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I am personally very interested in your thoughts on the SVS towers, particularly because they have a similar design to my Polk LSi 15's.

Now I realize they utilize different parts and crossovers, but I have been curious as to how those towers sound.

I am also significantly interested in how the Maggie 1.7's sound. My wife and I have heard the MMG's and she loved them and actually gave me the "OK" to purchase a set someday. With that said I know they get better the higher up the line you go. I dont think she would like the size of the 3x models but the 1x models are not much wider than the MMG's, just a bit taller, and also dont need to be out as far as the 3x models.

This should be a very interesting read and I look forward to the results.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Looking forward to the evolution of this thread and the shootout.
A good price point and selection for lots of people moving up from their 1st set of speakers.
Also, thx for posting the acoustic chart in post#1, if possible I'd like to see some gated ETC charts 0 - 50ms to truly see how dialed in your treatments are for managing the 1st reflections.

I am particular to 2 of the brands below - having done extensive listening to them via local brick-n-mortar, however will see how everything plays out, so I'm un-biased.
The Speakers

Dynaudio DM 3/7
Emerald Physics CS2P
Magnepan 1.7
MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL
Paradigm Studio 60
SVS Ultra Towers
btw, a lotta reserved posts in the thread.....all 1st page....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, looks like an awesome line-up. Wish I could be there to check it all out myself. You guys have great jobs – testing out the coolest, latest and greatest equipment, and then relaying the info to all of us at home drooling over it all! Look forward to seeing the results! :clap:

·
Registered
10 Posts
What a nice test! I love the price range, but I believe that special treat of this test is that it's without the burden of proving anything!
It is simply meant to show what trusted people think of selected "sweet spot" group of speakers! At least IMHO this is the price wise sweet spot... :)
Well, enjoy, and do share as much of your impression as possible!

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Here is a good white paper by Nyal Mellor "Acoustical Measurement Standards for Stereo Listening Rooms"
http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/static/513e1e34e4b00efcff5b05fd/51523db2e4b05218a1268532/51523db3e4b05218a126876f/1340681100537/acoustic_measurement_standards.pdf

Some of the many questions that can be found scattered across the internet and overheard in conversations amongst audiophiles today relate to room acoustic measurements:

What are the key measurements?
How do I interpret them?
What does good look like?
How do they relate to each other?

These questions arise from the recent availability of cheap and accurate 'consumer' acoustical measurement products like XTZ Room Analyzer, Room EQ Wizard and Dayton Audio Omnimic. Whist these packages allow you to measure your room they do not provide any guidance on how to interpret the results relative to the audiophile situation of two speakers in a room.

In April of 2011 Nyal Mellor of Acoustic Frontiers and Jeff Hedback of HdAcoustics recognized this and started work on creating a set of measurement standards specific to the requirements of the two channel audiophile. Many hours of hard work have culminated in the release of the white paper Acoustic Measurement Standards for Stereo Listening Rooms which you can download as a pdf by clicking on the link.

This paper is recommended reading if you are interested in understanding how room acoustics can influence sound quality. It also provides clear targets for the acoustic measurements that characterize your room's performance.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks so much for going through all the trouble to do this for us. I'll be pulling for the Maggies as an owner of the Tympani IVa flagship models

·
Registered
8 Posts
I really enjoy reading about high end speaker systems and especially speakers that I may purchase because of this evaluation. Thank you for doing this and go Magnepan!!!

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I was sad to see that the Philharmonics didn't make the cut. I was really interested in what you guy's thought about them. My next choice would be the SVS ultras. I am not in the market for speakers at this time but this will help in choosing or giving advice to someone in the future. Thanks guy's.....:T

101 - 120 of 1088 Posts