Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

161 - 180 of 1088 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Neat shootout. Glad to see you are using the Oppo BDP-105 in the setup. I have the Oppo BDP-95 and it rocks. I understand that the speakers were selected by the masses. Any plans to try additional speakers at different price points?

·
Registered
65 Posts
The SVS Ultra Towers are very interesting too. I'm a BIG Paradigm fan, but they may soon be out of my price range, so the comparison between the Ultras and Studio 60s could be thought-provoking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Dyanaudio tweeters are something else. It is not heavy like most dome tweeters. I have not heard the Paradigms and the Maggies but I also heard they are very good speakers. This is going to be a very good shootout once again! Thanks for making it happen again!

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is a really nice selection of speakers, with interesting design differences. It'll be cool to see the REW graphs for each, as an additional comparison.

Sounds like it'll be a fun event, glad we can participate vicariously.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This looks to be a fantastic gathering! Of these specific models I've only heard the SVS Ultra towers, but I've heard Magnepan and Martin Logan Electrostatics before (different models) and both offered a unique and interesting sound characteristic over traditional speakers!

Some have stated the SVS towers might be a bit borderline boomy or muddy on bass when used in full range, but I did not think that at all during the time I spent with them at one of the recent g2gs in IA. In fact the SVS towers were one of my favorite speakers of the day at that meet --- and there were some tough contenders there - many offerings costing several times more.

I hope this event proceeds without any major hitches and is well enjoyed by all in attendance. I'll definitely stay tuned for the results!

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Sonnie,
Are you removing the unused speakers when you are doing your evaluations?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looking forward to the results. Although this is way out of my price range, I like to see reviews of high end components to see what the money buys and what makes it worth it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Dynaudio DM 3/7
Emerald Physics CS2P
Magnepan 1.7
MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL
Paradigm Studio 60
SVS Ultra Towers
It is interesting to me that the only speaker in this collection that I have not investigated at least for an audition is the Dynaudio.
This is a tough comparison when you consider that the panel speaker ML and Maggies and the open baffle CS2P's can really challenge the room acoustics while the more conventional speakers can, potentially, be more forgiving of room acoustics and placement. So the challenge will be to invest the time in placement and room treatment to unleash the full potential of the "panel" speakers so as not to game the results.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
For a music suggestion please invest the 4:56 to check out "Shock" by John Tesh. My #1 instrumental go-to test track.

Tons of respect for your review panel. We are all looking forward to your careful analysis. I for one would like to read a brief pre-review stating what each reviewer is expecting. Posted before the event of course. Which speakers have you previously experienced, what favourites do you have? Some will parrot on about "expectation bias", but that pop psychology can't stand up in the face of men with integrity willing to say "Hey, I was wrong. Brand X surprised me, and Brand Y didn't live up to my overblown expectations"
That John Tesh track is pretty good... I really like it. Just listened to it with my headphones.

I think it will be hard to list all the speakers we have listened to... as several of us have been to a few audio shows and heard fifty-eleven speakers. Of course I have owned quite a few, which I believe are listed in our Personal Speaker Evolution Thread... mine is the first listed.

I can't say what to expect... learned better from the first one, when I got it totally wrong. I was even biased a bit (I think), but that did not seem to matter.

Just for fun can you guys test some 96/24 or higher bit rate vinyl rips? You choose the records.
I am not sure how to do this, but if you can PM Wayne (AudiocRaver) he may know how to accomplish it. I have a turntable and several albums.

Any plans to try additional speakers at different price points?
Yes... we will likely do one more $2.500... then possibly move to the $3500-4000 range.

Sonnie,
Are you removing the unused speakers when you are doing your evaluations?
Yes... they are all in the hall, even my ML Prodigy's will not be in the room, however, there will be some smaller speakers in there that we can easily move out of the way for testing other placements of the evaluation speakers.

By the way... we have our RMAF forum up and running. We don't have all of the rooms posted yet, but the guys are working on it. Expect a LOT more threads for other rooms. We have all the sponsors posted as Sticky Threads... other rooms are starting to show up below those. Again... expect a LOT more. Please check us out and let us know what you think. Comments in those threads are very appreciated. :T

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) 2013 Show Coverage

·
Registered
11 Posts
This will be a pretty interesting shootout.

I'm mostly a HT guy and own the Maggy 1.7's and switched from Dynaudios. I previously used the Dyn Audience 52's, 72's then the 82's, then contours, and actually still use Dynaudio for my center channel and subwoofers (dual sub300's to complement the 1.7's). I also use the mmg as my rear channels. The system sounds very good now actually and I've stopped looking to change it, imagine that! It has surround speed with the Maggy's and softness, presense and slam from the Dyns. FWIW, the rest of my gear is outlaw audio (975 prepro and 5 2200 monoblocks).

I havent researched the newer Dynaudios, and cant wait to hear the results. Maybe I'll switch back! One of my mmg blew a tweeter, so now I have an excuse to do some rearranging, hah!

BTW, when you do your testing with the 1.7's, make sure that you test a bit while orientating perfectly ON AXIS with the listener - I'm looking at your room pic in the first post... The speakers sound good everywhere but there is a VERY tight band where they sound amazing and image/stage well. The Dyn's typically sound better a little off axis. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Happy to see a thorough review of speakers in this price and quality range. As some have stated, speakers in this price range would not be practical for me to purchase, however seeing the designs and components may affect some of my future speaker projects. As a car audio fanatic, I am partial to brands such as Peerless, Morel and Dynaudio...so I'll be paying close attention to the Dynaudio review. :T

Thank you for taking the time to do this review and filling us in on the details of the results!

·
Registered
482 Posts
If we can make track suggestions, I've always loved Jennifer Warnes: Way Down Deep track. Beautiful vocals, great instrumentation and can really showcase a speakers low end prowess (or lack thereof).

Just my 2cents :)

Scott

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Hello, Fellow 'Shacksters!

As someone with passionate roots in audio -- both mobile and home oriented (I still remember my yesteryears of blasting incredibly deep bass notes through my massive Kicker SS12 box in the rear of my 1991 Nissan 240SX :rubeyes: :rubeyes: :unbelievable:) -- but without, unfortunately, the necessary funds to put together a truly high-end, top-shelf system in multichannel or two-channel configuration, I truly enjoyed reading about this evaluation. Indeed, I truly wish I could afford loudspeakers of such formidable pedigree (being a contract freelance writer, even for multiple publications across a multitude of genres, is not a profession I'd recommend for anyone looking to survive or make any kind of money :sarcastic:) but I have instead learned to truly love more affordable, easier-to-attain gear. How I would love to sample these speakers in this roundup, though; I wonder if my Onkyo TX-8555 stereo receiver would be able to power a pair of any them comfortably...:rubeyes: :huh: :T

There is indeed something so magical about a good, solid two-channel system with formidable floorstanding tower loudspeakers and a stereo integrated amp or receiver driving them...all, of course, showing off their gorgeous black brushed-aluminum faceplates!

Keep up the good work, Sonnie and the rest of the HTS staff that puts these wonderful roundups together! :T

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is great! As I am a mastering engineer, I constantly deal with different styles of music, so I am picky about where and thru what I listen to my projects in order to put out the best product possible. I have three rooms, the mastering room, which has a 5.1 surround speaker system in a balanced audio room, the recording room that that is pretty flat, no echo what so ever, with a stereo set of studio speakers, and a 7.2 surround sound theater system with speakers mounted in the walls with special boxes, except for the 2 subwoofers, and of course I have a small boombox to use as well. this set up allows me to test our projects and get a mix that sounds good in all the different speakers. So I am pleased to be a member here as I find that the newbie as well as the pros can come and find out whats available in audio equipment and what the so many experts that frequent here have to say. It sounds like your test room, Cedar Creek Cinema (The 2 Car Garage), is set up really nice. I will be very interested in finding out the results of these tests as I always have people asking me what they should buy for their home theaters. Have fun, and I hope you listen to some great music.

·
Registered
487 Posts
That John Tesh track is pretty good... I really like it. Just listened to it with my headphones. I think it will be hard to list all the speakers we have listened to... as several of us have been to a few audio shows and heard fifty-eleven speakers. Of course I have owned quite a few, which I believe are listed in our
Sorry Sonnie I didn't make myself clear on that earlier. I meant to ask which of the speakers in the shoot out each reviewer had previous experience with, not all the speakers you had heard in general.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I haven't been posting much these past few months as summertime is outdoor time for me but with the cooler air rolling in, I'll soon be picking up where I left off with my home theater build and the build thread I started earlier this year.

When I read about the shootout I thought it was a good opportunity to get my feet wet again. I mean, who doesn't love a good shootout and it comes at a great time for me because I have yet to purchase my HT speakers and some of the models being tested are of genuine interest to me.

It's impossible for me to audition such a fine selection of speakers locally these days. We used to have at least a dozen stereo shops who carried different equipment back in the 70's and 80's. I used to spend many Saturdays making the rounds to audition the latest and greatest equipment and speakers but those days are long gone. Today we have 2 local stereo shops not counting the one remaining chain store. Of those 2, one carries only 2 brands and the other only 3 or 4 and both offer very limited stock for auditioning. I actually ran a small stereo shop out of my home back in the 80's and was an authorized ESS dealer. Does anyone remember the ESS brand and infamous "Heil Air Motion Transformer"? Well, that's a story for another time so lets not clutter the shootout thread with "I remember ESS" posts. :D

While a shootout is not quite as much fun or beneficial as an in person audition, it serves a much needed purpose for those of us who have so little to choose from locally and I am looking forward to reading the results.

Thanks HTS, for putting this shootout together. :T

·
Registered
503 Posts
You have great sets of speakers for audition. I am most interested in the Maggies. Beautiful speakers.

It is so hard to decide on speakers I am glad you are putting this together. Even when I audition speakers I have a hard time with the different rooms the speakers are in. You guys have taken out as many of the variables as possible and we all thank you guys for giving us (I'm sure) great reviews

161 - 180 of 1088 Posts