Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Great BD too. :T
Chris Botti in Boston, on Bluray - is a key one that I use as reference, to test
speakers. > One of the key tracks that I use is Emmanuel, playing with Lucia
Micarelli - to test the trumpet and Violin sonic sound, and the imaging. >>

Another track that I use is with Sy Smith, singing the Look OF Love.

This is a good Bluray to test Orchestra, trumpet, male and female voices for
good imaging and soundstage presentation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One I really liked was Tricycle. I will be exploring Flim some more.
Ah, Flim & the BBs. After 30 years they are still my go to tracks for demoing dynamic range. I guard my F&BBs CDs like they're part of the family jewels and only play my ripped FLACs nowadays. Those discs are still some of the highest performers in the DR Database, especially Big Notes and Tricycle.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Ah, Flim & the BBs. After 30 years they are still my go to tracks for demoing dynamic range. I guard my F&BBs CDs like they're part of the family jewels and only play my ripped FLACs nowadays. Those discs are still some of the highest performers in the DR Database, especially Big Notes and Tricycle.
Glad to see you post - a belated welcome to HTS!

I was exposed to Flim just within the past year when Sonnie brought it along to one of the audio shows. Now, I have at least one of their albums and willbe more than likely getting more.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Well, Leonard is on the road home and I will be leaving in a couple hours.

Wayne and I are spending a bit of time today with each set of speakers and applying one more test to each.

I must say - I am exhausted, but it is well worth it. Hope you all like the glut of information that is going to be coming your way! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad to see you post - a belated welcome to HTS!

I was exposed to Flim just within the past year when Sonnie brought it along to one of the audio shows. Now, I have at least one of their albums and willbe more than likely getting more.
Thanks for the warm welcome. Been lurking for a long time, mostly in the REW threads.

Those Flim & the BBs discs have been out of print for quite a while, luckily they're readily available on the used market.

Will be interested to see how the Salk SCSTs and the Tannoys did in the evaluation.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Yeah it's pretty obvious when you read Wayne's reviews or articles that he is very thorough and either loves digging into the nitty gritty details or is passionate enough about the end result to go through those details that most are not patient enough to deal with (or, probably, both).

Just take a look at his Audyssey investigation! Yowsa!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Aww. Was hoping that the Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower (RAAL Tweeter) would be picked. Oh well. At least the Salk SongTower SC was chosen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think many of us were hoping to see the Salks and Ascends go head to head. I was also hoping for a coaxial battle between Kef and Tannoy.

Of course this is not a shootout or comparison....

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think many of us were hoping to see the Salks and Ascends go head to head. I was also hoping for a coaxial battle between Kef and Tannoy.

Of course this is not a shootout or comparison....
There were many speakers in an event in northern Wisconsin a few years ago. Ascends were there. That discussion was on AVS I believe. Maybe search under the Salk or Speaker categories there. I was there. Seaton was there as well.

Found it:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1324185/se-wi-tower-speaker-gtg

·
Registered
868 Posts
:whistling: . . . . Eerie silence . . . . cue the crickets . . . :whistling:

I know it will be a few days before any reviews start showing up, but I'm going crazy here! I guess I should pretend that this thread doesn't exist until the end of the week.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I bought that album when it first came out. Even back in the day, on sub par systems, I remember thinking that it just sounded good. Srings, vocals, piano were all very clear.
THANK YOU! Apparently I am not totally insane!

:sn::sn::sn::sn::sn::sn::sn::sn:

On to other matters:

Well, the party is over. Now we have to sift through our notes and generate some snazzy reports for our patient and faithful readers. We will try to start feeding some bits of results in a couple of days, Of course the bigger writeups will take longer to complete.

Joe took a plethora of photos, has probably uploaded most of them already. I will start filling in the "reserved" posts with photos, specs, the report outlines, and some tidbits of results info. As for "fun" pics, some of those might just end up in a "Misc Stuff That Happened" post.

POST #1 WAS JUST UPDATED WITH THE FOLLOWING!
  • Associated Equipment - A little about the support equipment we used.
  • Thoughts On Placing Expensive Speakers Close To A Wall - We have talked about this before, but for the sake of being thorough...
  • Our Test Sequence - Gotta have a process to follow. Ours changes every time we get together. We got to where we were marching like the mechanical figures in one of those fancy clock movements, everyone had a job and knew it and we stayed in sync and clicked along until we were done.
  • Initial Results - Just a few to spark your curiosity.
We are working, working, working on the results, will get them ready to post ASAP. And are putting together some initial thoughts about our next evaluation get-together.

·
Registered
100 Posts
THANK YOU! Apparently I am not totally insane!

:sn::sn::sn::sn::sn::sn::sn::sn:

On to other matters:

Well, the party is over. Now we have to sift through our notes and generate some snazzy reports for our patient and faithful readers. We will try to start feeding some bits of results in a couple of days, Of course the bigger writeups will take longer to complete.

Joe took a plethora of photos, has probably uploaded most of them already. I will start filling in the "reserved" posts with photos, specs, the report outlines, and some tidbits of results info. As for "fun" pics, some of those might just end up in a "Misc Stuff That Happened" post.

POST #1 WAS JUST UPDATED WITH THE FOLLOWING!
  • Associated Equipment - A little about the support equipment we used.
  • Thoughts On Placing Expensive Speakers Close To A Wall - We have talked about this before, but for the sake of being thorough...
  • Our Test Sequence - Gotta have a process to follow. Ours changes every time we get together. We got to where we were marching like the mechanical figures in one of those fancy clock movements, everyone had a job and knew it and we stayed in sync and clicked along until we were done.
  • Initial Results - Just a few to spark your curiosity.
We are working, working, working on the results, will get them ready to post ASAP. And are putting together some initial thoughts about our next evaluation get-together.
Love the close to the wall tests! Can't wait to see the results for that part of the test.

I was a bit :sneeky: over mentioning the Oppo 105 and then stating that you used a USB stick in the 5509 instead. The Oppo's Sabre DACs get seriously good reviews, not that the Burr-Brown's don't, but I'm wondering why have the Oppo at all if you aren't using it? :dontknow: Perhaps my reading comprehension after a long day is in need of some improvement?

All I know is that even with the extra cabling (albeit some of Silnotes' finest XLR cables), using my Oppo 95 (via pure direct on the 8801) provides better results with digital files than the Marantz 8801 does, even with Audyssey engaged.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Love the close to the wall tests! Can't wait to see the results for that part of the test.

I was a bit :sneeky: over mentioning the Oppo 105 and then stating that you used a USB stick in the 5509 instead. The Oppo's Sabre DACs get seriously good reviews, not that the Burr-Brown's don't, but I'm wondering why have the Oppo at all if you aren't using it? :dontknow: Perhaps my reading comprehension after a long day is in need of some improvement?

All I know is that even with the extra cabling (albeit some of Silnotes' finest XLR cables), using my Oppo 95 (via pure direct on the 8801) provides better results with digital files than the Marantz 8801 does, even with Audyssey engaged.
We did use the Oppo, though we did not do any comparisons of the two devices. I would not expect much difference as both are competent converters, but perhaps it is something we could do. Comparing level matched analog line level signals would be rather easy to see if there actually is any differnce and what it might be.

The complete reviews take a while, but I can tell you that there were some clear patterns, though some performed relatively better near the wall than others. Generally, as expected, the bass was reinforced and the depth of image was reduced. There was still significant imaging on all of the speakers, but the soundstage was generally not as wide and deep and the image was more diffuse. There was generally little difference between the on axis and perpendicular orientations at the wall, and some of the speakers behaved just a bit differently with respect to any imaging improvements. Any changes were very small, however, compared to moving them out.

I find your interest in near wall placement and different DACs a curious juxtaposition. Not trying to be critical, just curious. The difference between placing a speaker near the wall is orders of magnitude greater on any conceivable scale than any potential difference between converters. Even moving the speakers a few inches or degrees can make differences that are likely greater. Are you just curious about the near wall performance because most people do so or are you limited to such placement yourself? The reason that I ask is that we had this discussion before deciding to do the tests. From our perspective it is a big waste of time, as no speaker we have ever heard performs better near a wall, unless the priority is bass emphasis. The single greatest variable in any system beyond perhaps the speakers themselves is generally placement.

·
1,662 Posts
The Oppo's Sabre DACs get seriously good reviews, not that the Burr-Brown's don't
Yep, that's the nature of purely anecdotal "listening" (while being cognizant of the raves btw).
Now if someone who thinks the Sabre sounds "better", wants to step up to the plate and pick it over the Burr-Browns in a controlled, ears only/no peeking listening session....

Otherwise, one anecdote is as good as any other.:)

cheers

41 - 60 of 273 Posts