Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

81 - 100 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
I do indeed wish there was as way to hit you all with finished reviews on the Monday after the event. That would involve super powers of some sort. There is a fair amount of talent in the mix, but nothing superhuman witnessed yet. We should be hitting you with some of the goods this weekend.
Which weekend - the one that has just passed?

However the movie trailers (teasers), seem to be interesting.:)

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Sitting on the outside, looking in....I can tell you that waiting is not an American thingy!!! I don't like waiting, so come on already.

OK, I'll put another log on the fire. Just put the Salks first or last, that's all I ask.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Yes the waiting is no fun, but if history is any guide it will be worth the wait. Most of us could do with a little more delayed gratification!

Oh, who am I kidding? I pounce on every email notification of an update to this thread!

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Yes the waiting is no fun, but if history is any guide it will be worth the wait. Most of us could do with a little more delayed gratification! Oh, who am I kidding? I pounce on every email notification of an update to this thread!
ditto!!!

Sent from my iPad using HTShack

·
Registered
82 Posts
Nice pic, guys. You are really building the suspense here! I didn't think about it earlier, but all the speakers there except for the Salks have a lot of drivers. I'll be particularly interested to see how the dynamics and max output of the Salks fare in relation to the other models you're looking at.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Excellent start gentlemen! Sounds like the Salk Songtower is all people say it is.

I really like the "very quickly" part of that last post! :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Excellent review of the Songtowers........and nice to see that it performed well near walls as well as in more "ideal" locations.......a characteristic that should appeal to many speaker- position- restricted members such as myself.......

The finishes on these speakers "speak" volumes about the internal quality, as well......

·
Registered
868 Posts
I am surprised that Sonnie doesn't have anything to say regarding all these speakers, since he has been a part of the written evaluation of speakers in past events. Just curious why. I presume he listened with you all.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I think Sonnie said in the past his hearing isn't as good as the young whipper snappers. Plus I'm sure he is in love with the speakers he currently has. That's just my guess outside of having to cook all the tasty eats!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey guys, out of curiosity, which of the speakers are sealed, ported, or vented? Some of the supporting literature on their websites is a little vague and/or they don't show the backs of the speakers.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Wow, nice review. Really makes me feel like I'm in the room with you guy's. From the sounds it, I would drool over the chance to listen to my music on these speakers. I a huge Supertramp fan & these sound like the perfect speakers for that kind of music. Great work!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Glad everyone liked the SC Songtowers. I had the regular Songtowers with the dome tweeter. They were wonderful speakers with a great soundstage and imaging although they did lack bass punch and they benefitted from a sub. The Rosewood finish on them was sublime. They also benefitted from a KT-88 tube amp

I've since moved on to an older pair of Salk HT3s with the pre Raal tweeter. Sub was retired as the bass on these hits hard. Unfortunately the tube amp was also retired due to the low sensitivity of the HT3s.

Great job guys and looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the remaining 5 speakers.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Hey guys, out of curiosity, which of the speakers are sealed, ported, or vented? Some of the supporting literature on their websites is a little vague and/or they don't show the backs of the speakers.
I got pictures of the backs of all the speakers - if you do not see them in the post, go to the gallery in the $3,500 section and all the pictures are there.

Glad everyone liked the SC Songtowers. I had the regular Songtowers with the dome tweeter. They were wonderful speakers with a great soundstage and imaging although they did lack bass punch and they benefitted from a sub. The Rosewood finish on them was sublime. They also benefitted from a KT-88 tube amp

I've since moved on to an older pair of Salk HT3s with the pre Raal tweeter. Sub was retired as the bass on these hits hard. Unfortunately the tube amp was also retired due to the low sensitivity of the HT3s.

Great job guys and looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the remaining 5 speakers.
TBH - the pair that Leonard referenced hearing are mine - he was up my way for work and we hung out a couple nights and had a chance to give them a listen.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
I am surprised that Sonnie doesn't have anything to say regarding all these speakers, since he has been a part of the written evaluation of speakers in past events. Just curious why. I presume he listened with you all.
Personal decision. Sonnie decided to let us do all the talking this time around.

Will be part of each review. None of the speakers evaluated was sealed, and porting strategies varied.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Excellent review of the Salks. I'm glad you guys pushed hard to find their sweetest spot.

You guys commented briefly on the effects of MultEQ. Did any of you prefer the sound of the Salks with MultEQ vs direct?

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Excellent review of the Salks. I'm glad you guys pushed hard to find their sweetest spot.

You guys commented briefly on the effects of MultEQ. Did any of you prefer the sound of the Salks with MultEQ vs direct?
I thought they sounded great, heard no downside whatsoever. We are not saying that they NEED MultEQ, just that they worked well with it in our room.

Edit: Given the option, I personally would go without, favoring their natural sound, or use a single parametric high shelf just to lift the off-axis treble slightly.

81 - 100 of 273 Posts