Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

141 - 160 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks like a lot of thought went into this and I will spend some time going through the whole thread for details, but I came up with a question pretty quickly.

Yuri Honig Trio's Walking on the Moon is a piece that I use for evaluation as well (although apparently looking for different things than the reviewers) and looked at the comments on how it was perceived and I became confused.....

Is there more than 1 version of this?

I'm familiar with a Saxophone version and kept seeing comments about the Trumpet. :scratch:

·
Registered
868 Posts
Great job on the Phase Tech review guys! My taste in music leans toward vocals, and especially female vocals, as well as piano and percussive instruments. My experience with this speaker at RMAF, particularly with vocals and delicate percussion, lines up pretty well with your observations. This probably explains why I like the speaker so much. It was interesting that Joe thought for vocals it sounded almost like a ribbon tweeter.

How often is it that the speaker position that offers the best imaging and soundstaging characteristics also exhibits the best low-frequency performance? Like, never! While reading Wayne's comments, I kept wondering what would happen to the low-frequency anomalies you experienced if a little EQ were applied. I'm glad you guys went ahead and did a little testing with Audyssey for all the speakers, and it sounds like that pretty well took care of the bottom end nicely. Is that a fair assessment of your experience?

I suspect you found low frequency improvement in all the speakers with Audyssey, and that it was by far the most beneficial change.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice job guys, your speaker reviews are excellent IMHO. I have two pair of Ascend Towers w/RAALs, one of which will be used as surrounds when I finish a dedicated A/V space. I sure wish I had made plans to get a pair out to you folks for evaluation purposes. I don't know how Joe got out there, if he drove he could have picked them up from me, I'm in Northern IL. In fact, I met Joe at one of the SE WI GTGs at Terry's place.

In any case, if we can make arrangements, and you'd be interested in reviewing a pair of Ascend Towers in the near future, I'm game.

Jay

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Great job on the Phase Tech review guys! My taste in music leans toward vocals, and especially female vocals, as well as piano and percussive instruments. My experience with this speaker at RMAF, particularly with vocals and delicate percussion, lines up pretty well with your observations. This probably explains why I like the speaker so much. It was interesting that Joe thought for vocals it sounded almost like a ribbon tweeter.

How often is it that the speaker position that offers the best imaging and soundstaging characteristics also exhibits the best low-frequency performance? Like, never! While reading Wayne's comments, I kept wondering what would happen to the low-frequency anomalies you experienced if a little EQ were applied. I'm glad you guys went ahead and did a little testing with Audyssey for all the speakers, and it sounds like that pretty well took care of the bottom end nicely. Is that a fair assessment of your experience?

I suspect you found low frequency improvement in all the speakers with Audyssey, and that it was by far the most beneficial change.
That is pretty accurate. At home when I have more time with a speaker setup, it is fun to see how little EQ is needed, using parametric EQ, to tame the response. A soundstage (SS) is a terrible thing to waste, and it seems the better it is the more delicate it is and the easier it can be disrupted. Often only a few bands is all it takes:
  • A HF shelf to lift the HF droop from off-axis listening position
  • One or two broad bands to tame the overall profile of LF room effects
Right now a setup at home is giving killer results with only 3 bands of correction (foobar2000 + VST Wrapper + PEQ plugin).
It is actually quite impressive that Audyssey MultEQ can even out a speaker's response without destroying SS/imaging, can even improve them sometimes. And it is so easy.

Naysayers will insist that correction drains the life out of the sound, and I will agree that a supersoundstage (SSS:bigsmile:) might be disrupted by anything but the more sparing correcting, but for 99% of applications MultEQ or PEQ can give fantastic results.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Nice job guys, your speaker reviews are excellent IMHO. I have two pair of Ascend Towers w/RAALs, one of which will be used as surrounds when I finish a dedicated A/V space. I sure wish I had made plans to get a pair out to you folks for evaluation purposes. I don't know how Joe got out there, if he drove he could have picked them up from me, I'm in Northern IL. In fact, I met Joe at one of the SE WI GTGs at Terry's place.

In any case, if we can make arrangements, and you'd be interested in reviewing a pair of Ascend Towers in the near future, I'm game.

Jay
Good idea, and thanks for the generous offer. Maybe we can twist Joe's arm into a little get-together at his place once his HT room is all finished off.:bigsmile: [{(don't you just love it when people are generous with your stuff?)}]:whistling:

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Looks like a lot of thought went into this and I will spend some time going through the whole thread for details, but I came up with a question pretty quickly.

Yuri Honig Trio's Walking on the Moon is a piece that I use for evaluation as well (although apparently looking for different things than the reviewers) and looked at the comments on how it was perceived and I became confused.....

Is there more than 1 version of this?

I'm familiar with a Saxophone version and kept seeing comments about the Trumpet. :scratch:
As I recall - having just played that track in the last couple of days - it is a saxophone.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Good idea, and thanks for the generous offer. Maybe we can twist Joe's arm into a little get-together at his place once his HT room is all finished off.:bigsmile: [{(don't you just love it when people are generous with your stuff?)}]:whistling:
If you think Sonnie's room is over damped, mine has even more so be prepared for that!

Interesting idea though - putting that one in the pressure cooker that is my brain for later. And, thanks much for the offer!

As I recall - having just played that track in the last couple of days - it is a saxophone.
It is indeed... :R

Thanks for the correction!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Leonard, your comment on the Phase Techs as speakers you would buy if you wanted "speakers for life" cracked me up. Check out the picture of the 2014 product guide. That's been a tag line for a few years. Made me laugh.

Attachments

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I assure you I did not know that. It was a purely honest and spontaneous impression.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'm confident you didn't and that it was a sincere comment. Makes it all the more funny. Wanna come do some marketing for Phase Tech? :rofl:

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'm confident you didn't and that it was a sincere comment. Makes it all the more funny. Wanna come do some marketing for Phase Tech? :rofl:
In all seriousness, no offense or disrespect intended to Leonard or anyone else :) My prior comment could be taken the wrong way. You guys are doing awesome and I love reading what you have to say about each speaker.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
No offense taken at all. I just don't want anyone to think that I am in any way influenced by any manufacturer in what I write.

Those who know me at all will know that I am no shill for anyone and will speak my mind. But guests might get the wrong idea when the words are so similar.

·
Registered
868 Posts
This is part of the reason why I (and I think many others) put so much stock in what you all have to say. I feel confident that you will be forthcoming in reporting your impressions and opinions, both the good and the not-so-good. Carry on!

Now, where are those other reviews?? :foottap:

:bigsmile:

·
Registered
178 Posts
That is pretty accurate. At home when I have more time with a speaker setup, it is fun to see how little EQ is needed, using parametric EQ, to tame the response. A soundstage (SS) is a terrible thing to waste, and it seems the better it is the more delicate it is and the easier it can be disrupted. Often only a few bands is all it takes:

[*]A HF shelf to lift the HF droop from off-axis listening position
[*]One or two broad bands to tame the overall profile of LF room effects
Right now a setup at home is giving killer results with only 3 bands of correction (foobar2000 + VST Wrapper + PEQ plugin).
It is actually quite impressive that Audyssey MultEQ can even out a speaker's response without destroying SS/imaging, can even improve them sometimes. And it is so easy.

Naysayers will insist that correction drains the life out of the sound, and I will agree that a supersoundstage (SSS:bigsmile:) might be disrupted by anything but the more sparing correcting, but for 99% of applications MultEQ or PEQ can give fantastic results.
I noticed you have mentioned this high frequency shelf a few times. Would you consider Dynamic EQs effect on high frequencies to be an effective compensation?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
All of you are to be commended for your hard work in thoroughly evaluating these speakers. Performing all of those measurements consistently for all of the speakers is hard work and we all thank you. Nice show from the other LA.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
I noticed you have mentioned this high frequency shelf a few times. Would you consider Dynamic EQs effect on high frequencies to be an effective compensation?
We have tried it (accidentally) and it can cause vocals to wander in the soundstage on some tracks. There is some detail about that in this recent review.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
AudiocRaver has assumed control:flex:...but we do whatever he asks, since he does most of the work.:hail::hail::hail::hail:

141 - 160 of 273 Posts