Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

161 - 180 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
We have tried it (accidentally) and it can cause vocals to wander in the soundstage on some tracks. There is some detail about that in this recent review.
Nice review. I haven't noticed this "wander" with Dynamic EQ. Sounds quite strange to me. I wonder (haha) if it has more to do with the dipole design of the MLs. Variations might be heard at the MLP that are exaggerated by the boost. Maybe a comb filtering effect? Just a guess, but I intend to test tomorrow to see if I hear what you're talking about.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Would the Axiom bass boominess benefit from plugging one or more of the ports?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had artificial bass reinforcement with my Axiom M3s on stands due to their placement in in corners (close to 2 walls) requiring a -6 Db Bass EQ in my AV receiver. After reading an article at Axiom about their new Port Plugs (availability TBA), I fashioned my own to see if they would help. They did in spades.

The M3s' bass became tight again & I was able to remove all EQ out of my system & return it to flat. I would think that Port Plugs would work with the M100s as well in rooms that reinforce bass response.

BTW, this phenomena was not just for my M3s. Other speakers that I had used there exhibited the same type of behavior...

TAM

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I want to be clear that I did not find the Axiom boomy, once it was placed optimally. I found the balance a bit more to the bass than I would prefer, but not to a degree that I would find bothersome. A speaker, for me, can have a bit too much bass and not be boomy. Boomy to me is a combination of excess bass and smearing of bass detail, uncontrolled and/or under damped sounding. Near the wall the detail was lost but out into the room it was quite good. The difference was quite striking. I would consider the performance near the wall one of the poorest and out into the room one of the best.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
AudiocRaver has assumed control:flex:...but we do whatever he asks, since he does most of the work.:hail::hail::hail::hail:
As if I have ever had any real control over anything in my life!:rolleyesno:

Truly, this is such a team effort. Without the wonderful efforts of Leonard and Joe, and of course Sonnie's hosting and room and the inertia he has given the entire series and HTS as a home for it all... it would be a pitifully empty effort. Hats off to all involved.

Nice review. I haven't noticed this "wander" with Dynamic EQ. Sounds quite strange to me. I wonder (haha) if it has more to do with the dipole design of the MLs. Variations might be heard at the MLP that are exaggerated by the boost. Maybe a comb filtering effect? Just a guess, but I intend to test tomorrow to see if I hear what you're talking about.
I will test at home with the same tracks and another set of speakers.

I was wondering the same of the Phase Technology. I owned the 9.1's and if I recall they came with port plugs.
I had artificial bass reinforcement with my Axiom M3s on stands due to their placement in in corners (close to 2 walls) requiring a -6 Db Bass EQ in my AV receiver. After reading an article at Axiom about their new Port Plugs (availability TBA), I fashioned my own to see if they would help. They did in spades.

The M3s' bass became tight again & I was able to remove all EQ out of my system & return it to flat. I would think that Port Plugs would work with the M100s as well in rooms that reinforce bass response.

BTW, this phenomena was not just for my M3s. Other speakers that I had used there exhibited the same type of behavior...

TAM
Excellent info. Alternate port tuning might be just the ticket for the Axioms in some setups.

I want to be clear that I did not find the Axiom boomy, once it was placed optimally. I found the balance a bit more to the bass than I would prefer, but not to a degree that I would find bothersome. A speaker, for me, can have a bit too much bass and not be boomy. Boomy to me is a combination of excess bass and smearing of bass detail, uncontrolled and/or under damped sounding. Near the wall the detail was lost but out into the room it was quite good. The difference was quite striking. I would consider the performance near the wall one of the poorest and out into the room one of the best.
Well put, Leonard. To clarify my own assessment, in the final position the M100 bass was tight and controlled, just stronger in balance than I would have preferred - NOT boomy.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Great review of the Axioms! I always go back and forth when considering purchasing Axioms, because I'll read 7 "A" reviews of their products and then 2 "B-minuses". It really sounds like the M100's are solid performers.

lcaillo, you had me until you started comparing Dickens to Hemingway. :heehee: It's not Dickens if it isn't a run-on sentence a paragraph long. I mean, Hemingway's dry, but at least he knows how to be concise. :) Anyway, great insights by each of you and I appreciate your dedication.

I also enjoy the tone you've collectively taken with this $3,000 evaluation. You kept saying at the beginning that this wasn't a shootout or a competition, and I kind of took it with a grain of salt. I mean, what's the point of listening to a bunch of speakers at the same time if not to see which one's the best? Plus we had just seen the $2.5K and $1K evaluations, which really had more of a shootout feel(especially the $1K, which involved the "winning" speaker becoming Sonnie's purchase). The word "shootout" was used in those reviews more than once.

Having said that, you all really seem to be letting each speaker so far stand on its own merits. I hope this will encourage other manufacturers to be more willing to contribute their offerings for future evaluations. Also, has Sonnie given any thought to throwing in a few comments at the end? I know he opted out of the reviews, but if was there and he listened to them, I for one would love to hear a word or two.

One last question: At what volume are the tones played to determine in-room freq response? I freely admit I'm not an expert here, but reading the three evaluations so far($1K, $2.5K and $3K, plus some other Cedar Creek reviews), I'm really surprised at how many speakers have been deemed harsh or bright when pushed.....some of which do not have a reputation for being bright. I'm just wondering out loud if the sonic characteristics of that room in particular have a multiplicative response to high frequencies at higher SPLs? if a test at reference level shows a flat response, does it show a flat response at higher than reference level? Again, I have the highest respect for you guys and what you're doing here. It's refreshing to have a forum that has such a positive vibe.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
UPDATE concerning the Axiom M100 Review:

UPDATE: Axiom has contacted us with a very kind reminder that they recommend plugging the bottom three ports on the M100 when locating them close to a wall, and that port plugs are supplied with the speakers to accomplish it. There is even a demonstration video concerning this linked from their website. This would certainly have made a big difference in their performance close to the wall in our review, and might even have given us an easy way to modify their bass response in their optimum setup if we had desired. We simply did not notice the port plugs as we unpacked the M100 speakers.

Our thanks to Axiom for pointing this out and our apologies to Axiom and our readers for the oversight on our part. Please keep this in mind as you read this review.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Glad you brought that up and it's great of you to put it in the review text. I wonder how the near-wall performance would have changed given the use of those plugs. The bass was the one detracting element to the review; does that mean the Axioms(with plugs) have no real weaknesses?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice to read that review on the Axiom's....although, I owned some briefly I never found the critique often associated with them on these forums mostly unfounded. Many of the guys ripping on them where just piling on....as people generally like to do.

Now hurry up with the last 3 reviews...:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Utopian:

I would think that they would have to do another listening session with the M100s using the plugs before leaping to that conclusion...

TAM

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
One last question: At what volume are the tones played to determine in-room freq response? I freely admit I'm not an expert here, but reading the three evaluations so far($1K, $2.5K and $3K, plus some other Cedar Creek reviews), I'm really surprised at how many speakers have been deemed harsh or bright when pushed.....some of which do not have a reputation for being bright. I'm just wondering out loud if the sonic characteristics of that room in particular have a multiplicative response to high frequencies at higher SPLs? if a test at reference level shows a flat response, does it show a flat response at higher than reference level? Again, I have the highest respect for you guys and what you're doing here. It's refreshing to have a forum that has such a positive vibe.
Very good questions. As far as the room goes, it really does not seem to be brighter than other rooms I have worked with. If anything, the treatment keeps the highs pretty well under control.

My own ears are fairly tolerant of extended highs if they are smooth and if the distortion is low. The others seem more sensitive than I am, Leonard a little and Joe moreso, and either will catch any significant amount of mid/hf distortion - in Leonard's case it is more like a superpower.

So remember that sensitivities and preferences vary - we are reporting what we hear and telling you our sensitivities and preferences the best we can for the sake of context.

Joe & Leonard, please speak up if I have misrepresented either of you.:innocent:

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I think you are right on. I tend to like a speaker that is somewhat lean on the bottom but goes deep, but I really am sensitive to any tendency to get harsh or bright. My priorities are well defined mid bass through upper midrange with lots of detail and very low distortion.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Utopian:

I would think that they would have to do another listening session with the M100s using the plugs before leaping to that conclusion...

TAM
That is unlikely to happen. I think it is a reasonable bet that it would tame it a great deal, since the issue is not bad bass, but too much.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Glad you brought that up and it's great of you to put it in the review text. I wonder how the near-wall performance would have changed given the use of those plugs. The bass was the one detracting element to the review; does that mean the Axioms(with plugs) have no real weaknesses?
My own assessment: Take the accentuated bass and the against-the-wall muddiness out of the equation and they are very special speakers. No real weaknesses? Flawless? As in perfect? Maybe close, from my perspective, at the ideal location. Hard to say without another listen, especially for close-to-wall performance.

Edit: I would love the opportunity to give them another chance, heh, heh. But that is unlikely, short of buying a pair.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Glad I suggested the Axiom M100, Maybe the HP M80 should be tested seeing how it's the same as the M100 but with one less woofer. The HP M80 might have better near wall performance even though Axiom has the same spec's for both.

Keep up the good work and keep on testing.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Axiom M100...

Imagine a soundstage with imaging that appears to go a level beyond sound waves into the realm of actually seeming to materialize in the air before you. The soundstage is carved in space with such density you feel you could walk among those solid images and explore them as they hang there, morphing at the rate of the flow of music and sound right before your eyes and ears. The image clarity and depth acuity are so precise that each image source seems outlined like the figures in cartoons from the 30's and 40's, a boundary that defines with stark clarity the edge of each sound. Every pluck, crackle, tone, drumbeat, breath, chord, kick, syllable, and every echo, delay, double, and splash of reverb, is simply popping into existence as an individual three-dimensional entity in space before you. The soundstage that POPS!
I've been following your obsession with a deep soundstage and it appears from your review that you have found something here that captures what you so intently seek. I applaud your words. The above is very well written.

161 - 180 of 273 Posts