Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to up the watts from my current Harmon Kardon AVR1600. The two candidates are the new Denon AVR-591 with 125 watts per channel and the new Onkyo TX-SR508 with 80 watts per channel. I know that some manufacturers exaggerate power ratings but I think Denon fairly honest. Some of the features offered by the Denon are Audyssey Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ. I'm so sick of commercials blasting me out of my chair. Does anyone have any experience with Audyssey features? Care to share?

My only concern is that I might be losing some of the fines offered by the Harman Kardon. If any Denon/Onkyo AVR owners would like to share about not only movie performance but the quality of music playback as well, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
I'm ready to up the watts from my current Harmon Kardon AVR1600. The two candidates are the new Denon AVR-591 with 125 watts per channel and the new Onkyo TX-SR508 with 80 watts per channel. I know that some manufacturers exaggerate power ratings but I think Denon fairly honest. Some of the features offered by the Denon are Audyssey Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ. I'm so sick of commercials blasting me out of my chair. Does anyone have any experience with Audyssey features? Care to share?

My only concern is that I might be losing some of the fines offered by the Harman Kardon. If any Denon/Onkyo AVR owners would like to share about not only movie performance but the quality of music playback as well, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Hello,
The Denon you are looking at will not come near to outputting 125 WPC All Channels Driven. Even Denon's 1500 Dollar AVR-3310 does not come close to meeting its rated power. It used not to be this way with Denon, but their recent offerings have offered many more Features, but have truly skimped on the Power Supply.

The Onkyo 508 more than likely will not meet its specs either All Channels Driven either. In truth, it is quite rare to find AVR's that do meet their Rated Specification. Onkyo's TX-SR805, 875, 876, 905, and 906 all came unbelievably close and in Stereo offered more than double the Specs.

In truth, the 2 AVR's you are looking at will probably not really offer you any meaningful upgrade in power.
I am a huge fan of Audyssey MultEQ and do think it is an excellent feature however.

What is your max budget? And also, what kind of Speakers are you using?
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,
The Denon you are looking at will not come near to outputting 125 WPC All Channels Driven. Even Denon's 1500 Dollar AVR-3310 does not come close to meeting its rated power. It used not to be this way with Denon, but their recent offerings have offered many more Features, but have truly skimped on the Power Supply.

The Onkyo 508 more than likely will not meet its specs either All Channels Driven either. In truth, it is quite rare to find AVR's that do meet their Rated Specification. Onkyo's TX-SR805, 875, 876, 905, and 906 all came unbelievably close and in Stereo offered more than double the Specs.

In truth, the 2 AVR's you are looking at will probably not really offer you any meaningful upgrade in power.
I am a huge fan of Audyssey MultEQ and do think it is an excellent feature however.

What is your max budget? And also, what kind of Speakers are you using?
Cheers,
JJ
Those two units interested my because they are in the sub $400 arena which, unfortunately, is where I have to stay for a while. I am running Boston Acoustics Classic Series CS 26 bookshelves (L & R) and a CS 225C center channel. My rears are Proficient 4"-woofer satellites that I care less about for the time being.

So you're saying that other than the new Audyssey features, the Denon & Onkyo wont offer much more in the way of power or quality?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
So you're saying that other than the new Audyssey features, the Denon & Onkyo wont offer much more in the way of power or quality?
Jack is 100% correct in his assesment, I dont really think that you will get any benafit going with either of the receivers you have listed. You could go with this Onkyo 706 as it would be much better for your needs an has a decent power output and is THX certified.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Those two units interested my because they are in the sub $400 arena which, unfortunately, is where I have to stay for a while. I am running Boston Acoustics Classic Series CS 26 bookshelves (L & R) and a CS 225C center channel. My rears are Proficient 4"-woofer satellites that I care less about for the time being.

Hello,
I would strongly recommend looking for a used Onkyo TX-SR805. Made in Japan, THX Ultra2, Audyssey MultEQ XT, Burr Brown DAC's, weighs 51 pounds, and much more. At it's original MSRP of 1099, it honestly was the greatest value in AVR's in the HDMI era. The replacement TX-SR806 weighs 14 pounds less, uses cheaper DAC's, uses the less powerful MultEQ and not MultEQ XT, and as is with all Onkyo AVR's since the 05 Series, is now made in Malaysia.

In my opinion, the 805 would represent a major upgrade. When Bench Tested, the 805 output over 100 WPC All Channels Driven. If you could up your budget, the TX-SR876 is available refurbished for around 800 Dollars and offers all that the 805 offers and adds top tier Video Processing, ISF Video Modes, more HDMI Inputs, etc.

I would look at Audiogon, Ebay and Craigslist for the 805. If interested in refurbished Models, Accessories4less has unbeatable prices on Onkyo. You could get the 899 MSRP TX-SR706 for close to your stated budget. The 706 offers THX Select2 Plus Processing, preamp outputs, Audyssey MultEQ, and more. It is far less powerful than the 805 or 876 however. But still much nicer than the Models you are considering.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting. Thank you for all your knowledge. I guess when comparing AVRs, weight is an important consideration. Is there a particular resource you have for sifting through the marketing crud to find true specs for HT products?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Hello,
I would strongly recommend looking for a used Onkyo TX-SR805.
If you like the HK interface but just want more power pair a behringer A500 with a HK 254.

If you don't like the receiver and want to upgrade it. I'd suggest the 705 or 706 because it has all the features and typically costs around 315 on the market now. The 805 used would be a great score, but you better have the rack for it. It's a monster receiver that needs good air for it's massive power supply.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
An integral reference for ascertaining an AVR's true power rating is reading the Bench Tests of them. Magazines like Home Theater, Sound & Vision, and Ultimate AV provide Measurements of how an AVR performs in multiple configurations.

Moreover, weight is indeed a good indicator when looking at Class AB AVR's. The vast majority of AVR's are still Class AB, but there have been some inroads made by Class H, Class D and other AVR's that consume less energy. These newer Amplifier Topologies usually weigh less than AB. For example, Pioneer's Elite AVR's use Bang & Olefson's ICE Amplifier Modules which are not Class AB.

Unfortunately, the majority of AVR's you see at Best Buy do not come close to meeting their rated power. In truth, it is usually the upper tier AVR's which come close to or exceed the specs.

All of this being said, very few really need 100 watts constantly to 5 or 7 channels. It is nice during high impact scenes in Movies to have the current and power to really have a Cinematic experience. Most AVR's which are THX Ultra2 do come close to meeting their specs and is again why the TX-SR805 is so special is that it has power and features comparable to AVR's which cost 3-4 times its MSRP.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
All of this being said, very few really need 100 watts constantly to 5 or 7 channels. It is nice during high impact scenes in Movies to have the current and power to really have a Cinematic experience. Most AVR's which are THX Ultra2 do come close to meeting their specs and is again why the TX-SR805 is so special is that it has power and features comparable to AVR's which cost 3-4 times its MSRP.
Cheers,
JJ
I'm building a reference speaker pair and the rated wattage for the woofer's is 125 watts, so your assessment is spot on. A receiver even better than the 805 was the Yamaha R-VX2600. Yamaha went all out on it and left no stone unturned. However finding them is pretty rare compared to the 805.

Unfortunately these kinds of gems aren't being made now. The economy really forced a downgrade in receivers.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Interesting. Thank you for all your knowledge. I guess when comparing AVRs, weight is an important consideration. Is there a particular resource you have for sifting through the marketing crud to find true specs for HT products?
Your very best option is to simply look for a receiver with a weight over 40lbs if it says its power output is 100watts per ch and it only weighs 27lbs be very suspicious. The 805, 905 as well as the 875 and 876 were some of the best receivers ever made and still can be found but you pay a good bit over your budget but is well worth it. Your other options are also adding outboard amplification to a receiver that has pre outs (most over the $500 range do) this at least gives you the ability to add an external amp some time down the road is you so choose.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Your very best option is to simply look for a receiver with a weight over 40lbs if it says its power output is 100watts per ch and it only weighs 27lbs be very suspicious. The 805, 905 as well as the 875 and 876 were some of the best receivers ever made and still can be found but you pay a good bit over your budget but is well worth it. Your other options are also adding outboard amplification to a receiver that has pre outs (most over the $500 range do) this at least gives you the ability to add an external amp some time down the road is you so choose.
Unfortunately weight is only a partial clue of the receivers power output. In fact I'm sure some manufacturers prey on this idea by adding dead weight. For example Yamaha can get 7000 watts from a 33lb amp in the pro audio world. Unfortunately there is also no real way to know the overall ratings of every receiver out there because you'd need a valid sample size receivers of every model and a standardized test to know. These don't exist so you are ultimately stuck with word of mouth. Thankfully you came to the right place for that. :T

·
Registered
1,648 Posts

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not that customer reviews offer up much valuable information, but 119 5-star reviews for the 805 has got to mean something!

From all of these posts I am sensing that Onkyo, in general, is held in higher regard than Denon for all of you Shacksters. Maybe that's not the case. Is there, however, a Denon that's comparable to the 805? I think Denon wins out for me in terms of aesthetics, considering it will be sitting on display.

·
Registered
678 Posts
... Is there, however, a Denon that's comparable to the 805? ...
I've not looked in detail at all the features, but the Denon AVR-989/AVR-2809 is similar to the 805 in that it included Audyssey MultEQ XT at a very attractive price, something that Denon has limited to higher models in later years. It can be found used and refurbished.

I opted for the Denon because of the reputation that they run cooler than the Onkyos, and I was concerned about ventilation where I was going to place it. On the Onkyo side, they do offer more flexibility in the choice of crossover frequencies, e.g., 50Hz, 70Hz, which Denon does not include.

Bill

·
Registered
476 Posts
Save your money. Buy an amp to boost your power, or save your money for a few more months and put it on a better reciever that has the newer EQ and bling.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Save your money. Buy an amp to boost your power, or save your money for a few more months and put it on a better reciever that has the newer EQ and bling.
The 805/705 have the latest EQ(Audyssey MultEQ XT), more power, and pre-amp outs.

Internally they are a better receiver than a lot of the more recent ones. This is because they were the last receiver batch made before the recession hit.

I'd try to snipe this tomorrow on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/Onkyo-TX-SR705-...wItem&pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item4aa18b4f36

It is the best receiver Onkyo has ever made IMO. I like it better than the 805 because it doesn't have as many heat issues while still having the top EQ system and good internals. I owned this receiver once and wish I'd never sold it.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Just keep in mind that the 705 and 805 do not support HDMI 1.4. As long as you are ok with that, I would grab that 705.

Matt

1 - 20 of 39 Posts