Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
THx systems these days are a little bit tricky, since the company is becoming more and more mainstream it means that the level of required performance drops. Which is bad for business, for example the logitech Z-906. It is a 5.1 surround sound system with 500 watts of power combined thats it is market at, but any person knowing these kind of devices know that this is not possible from a in the boxsystem, also the bass is cut of from 150 Hz meaning that there is no real subwoofer. but when the story begins with too much information the progress will be hard to follow “Dear leader, Kim Il Sung” It all began when was about 12/13 years old, we were at visit of a old friend of my dad. He had just finished a big box subwoofer and it was in use as a table, because of size i was glad he did. He had a discussion with my father in law, he said it was too big and couldn't be musical. The man put on the movie I am legend with will smith, and it was unbelievable the pressure it was able to put out in my stomach was amazing. I had never heard something like that and i like the hulk looking subwoofer in all it's glory. And i told my dad my that i liked he said "it is big and unmusical, my beyma 15g400 go way lower. the speaker that was being used in the subwoofer was a Magnat Aggressor 5000 Deathmatch 750w 20" subwoofer. It is part of the top end line of Magnat, it was also in use in the Omega 530 subwoofer Since then i was always looking for that bass It was hard to find. And a couple of months ago I found two of these subwoofers. And oh my God I had to build a big enclosure. One that could fit into a reference Level. It would need to be about 650 L for the units. Of course it needs some amplification since it's can be driven up to the 1500 W, which is quite a lot. So the behringer 6000 comes in mind because this unit has a T to drive up to four channels with 1100W per channel. It has a digital sound processing units inside so you can come in quite handy. But of course we cannot forget the room, without proper room measurement tools we will not be able to tell what frequency is good and which is bad. Let's say you have a 50 Hz peek if you didn’t measure the room response you would never know of it, why? because our ears are very imprecise when it comes to low frequencies. But what we do know is that we hear a so called boomy sound, meaning too much emphasis on the 50 - 110 Hz range. So now we got the measurements we know the response, now what? First we have to ask ourselves what we desire, 126dB at 16 Hz 9dB boost. for this kind of performance we need allot of power headroom. This is where the behringer will come in handy, since we need to build an enclosure we need to find out what kind of material we should use. You can't just use firewood because we need mass, stiffness and density. Mdf Is probably the best way to go, Bracing isnt unimportant and we need allot of glue. Enclosure will tuned at 16Hz, which is equal to 16 cycles per minute.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.