Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, my name is Nick, I am a professional car audio installer of 15+ yrs. I have been trying to find a forum with other professionals or advanced DIYers, is there anyone here who either uses REW or any other type of dual channel FFT analysis system for car audio system optimization, or anyone else here who is a professional car audio installer or who uses any type of measurement system for tuning/installation?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Lots of us have, and a few have some in depth postings on DIYMA on how to use REQ in a car. You might have a little more luck over there, but there is some valuable info on here.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll take a look at DIYMA. I know that there has been a very interesting thread on the REW forum, currently going actually, that is discussing implementing a frequency dependent time window in REW. I currently rely on frequency dependent windowing in order to get a clear in-car measurement of phase at higher frequencies, thus allowing me to use delay and/or physical placement to precisely phase align thru crossover two overlapping drivers, like sub to mid bass, mid bass to midrange, midrange to tweeter. Especially for the lower frequency, proper phase alignment cannot be accomplished with the IR, due to the acoustic energy being spread over a long time and no clear impulse peak to align to. Now I know some people say to turn off the LPF to the subs in order to achieve a clear impulse, but since the crossover filter, when engaged, alters the phase of the signal passing thru it, you are not seeing an accurate representation of the sub's energy-time relationship as it would be with the filters engaged. It can maybe get you in the ballpark, but for me that's not close enough, not when I'm being paid to perform a system tuning and I'm claiming to be extracting maximum performance from a given set of components. I adopted my current phase alignment procedure from the pro-sound industry, and I can confirm that it works BRILLIANTLY in car audio. I was hoping to find other who do this same technique.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts