Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have taken delivery of the new subs :)

We haven't fired them up yet as we are awaiting delivery of the MT3FSL's to complete the system. Listening to subs with no main speakers would be a little weird, so we await the speakers with much anticipation.

Tomorrow we get the HT curtains installed so we will post some more pictures then :)

We are also awaiting the call to pick up the the Behringer MX882 and DCX2496 for mixing and EQ'ing the subs.

But here are some pics of the new subs. The subs are just in a temporary position until the main speakers arrive. We are thinking about having them either beside the speakers or in the corners (which will have bass absorbers installed on stands behind the curtains - more pictures to come).

Can't wait to hear what they can do :)

In these pics you can see some of the bracing, and the strategically placed bracing that the sub magnets were inserted into to make sure they are securely held in place.

And here are some pics of the subs in their temporary positions to give you a sense of scale.

The subs are passive, and will be powered by a Quest 3004 stereo pro amp.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: The SGR build Maelstrom-X 18" Subs arrive :)

Here is a pic with the bass absorbers in place. Once the curtains are in place the railing at the top will hold them in place. At least with curtains in place i won't have to look at them ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Those subs look really nice. I assume they are sealed as I don't think you mentioned it. I like the simplicity of the black bedliner paint, very minimalistic.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those subs look really nice. I assume they are sealed as I don't think you mentioned it. I like the simplicity of the black bedliner paint, very minimalistic.
Thanks for the kind words. They blend in well and don't look out of place, very happy with the look.

Your right, they are sealed 125L boxes :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. They blend in well and don't look out of place, very happy with the look.

Your right, they are sealed 125L boxes :)
wow.. that room just looks like it would sound like a concert hall for some reason.. Loud :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow.. that room just looks like it would sound like a concert hall for some reason.. Loud :)
hehe, we don't listen very loud... well not for music anyways :)

Exciting news... the curtains have now been installed....

please excuse the dust.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Wow, that looks like a great step to some great sounds!

Make sure you take more photos once the mains are in!

And are you going to install some broadband sound absorbers behind the curtains?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last photo until we get the speakers :)

We cleaned up a bit today and moved the gear back into position so that its all ready to go for when the speakers arrive.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Hmm, put any thought into moving the seats forward? The closer you are to a speaker (up to about 3'), the flatter the FR will be, and the larger it will make your display seem. The further away you sit, the FR of your speakers will be at the mercy of the room and you won't be able to appreciate the resolution of your display.

Just something to consider.

·
Registered
153 Posts

We cleaned up a bit today and moved the gear back into position so that its all ready to go for when the speakers arrive.

Looks very nice :T

But really ... ?? 2 Mael 18s in there.... I really swore you said you didnt like it loud

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hmm, put any thought into moving the seats forward? The closer you are to a speaker (up to about 3'), the flatter the FR will be, and the larger it will make your display seem. The further away you sit, the FR of your speakers will be at the mercy of the room and you won't be able to appreciate the resolution of your display.

Just something to consider.
Yeah, nearfield listening does remove more of the rooms effects but would not be suitable in our room. The photo makes it look further back than it really is. The room itself is part of a large open living area. The overall size is 7.5m deep by 8m wide, which then opens up to the stairs downstairs etc. The seats are already 3.5m in from the back wall (the stairs are at the back of the room). Any further and it would just look out of place.

The area we use for the system is 7.5m deep and 4.7m wide. The speakers will be approximately 3m apart (tweeter to tweeter) and the distance between each of the speakers and the seating position is approximately 3m to complete the equilateral triangle. Once the new speaker arrive ill play with the position of the speakers to see what works best. The speakers will be placed so that they are well forward of the TV unit to make sure we don't cause to many early reflections which could smear the imaging etc.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks very nice :T

But really ... ?? 2 Mael 18s in there.... I really swore you said you didnt like it loud
The room is bigger than what you see in the picture.

Those subs have to fill an open area of 7.5m by 8m, and thats opens into the rest of the house.... its big open living.

but.... the real reason for the two 18" subs...

Well i wanted 1 x 18" sub (just a want, not a need), but then I like symmetry so decided on 2 x 18" subs :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Sorry for making a liar of myself. :(

_________

I almost threw out the bass traps today..... :(

But the wife would not let me... thank god she didn't, and she came up with a fantastic plan to save them.

What was the problem you ask... well it was my much loved cats.

Apparently they find them to be an ideal scratching post *rolles eyes*. Being foam, the cats make extremely short work of them, ripping them to shreds.

So we went to spotlight today and bought some lace curtain material to surround the bass absorbers... in an ATTEMPT to stop the cats from ruining them. We haven't let the cats out yet, but time will tell if it works... fingers crossed.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok,

I fired them up tonight to take some raw measurements.

Lets just say.... getting REW to work on my wifes moo work laptop almost made me blow a blood vessel. It just was not happening.

So I dragged out my PC and 24" LCD screen (they aren't very portable are they - rolls eyes) and took some measurements with the subs in the position they are in as you can see the pic below. I also tried with the subs in the corners, but those graphs looked terrible.

This is what I ended up with.

The left sub measured quite nicely, but the right sub has a few issues. DOH...

This is both subs running together.

This is the left and right subs individually. As you can see the left one measures much better than the right due to room positioning I hazard to guess.

Anyways, thats the raw results, and what I have to work with.

Any thoughts welcome.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wonder if stacking the subs on the left side would work out better. Due to the rugs, we are quite limited in where we can position the subs. Where ever the right sub was positioned it seems to suffer from some pretty terrible room modes.

hehe, stacking them might be difficult :p

If I did stack them (which is most likely not going to happen - I'd probably just move one of them to the second system if it came to that), im guessing just some thick rubber pads to separate them would do the trick ?

Hmmm..... If I win that M-X 21 in the give away I know exactly what I would do with it now :) One 300+L sealed 21 positioned on the left of the TV unit... would work out perfectly.

Fingers crossed :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts