141 - 160 of 410 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Coffee is brewing, I will be awake in about 20 minutes.......:sleep:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
wow, sorry bout the flippic. been away and busy. got a new girl in my life so I will post a flip pic when get back to my pc. hope ever yone is having a good newyear?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Take your time drf. :T

Sat service said they would need to build a 60 feet high tower to get a signal to our home here. Then told us he didn't think cable tv would ever be offered here. :scratchhead: Well it's here, just not very reliable. So now we are waiting for them to get a new tech to fix it. The other tech in our area was said to be "unreliable". Could have fooled me. :rolleyes: Hope that is fixed soon but in the meantime there is plenty of time to watch movies in the HT.

In feb the whole digital thing goes down and our current service is suppossed to offer some kind of internet then also. That isn't really that far off.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
G'Day everyone. Hope all is well. so far 2009 has been very good to me. I had to buy a new camera because my old one decided to die on Chrissy day :wits-end:. But its all good now coz I got a decent Digital SLR, I can take two or three shots a second without the flash which is considerably faster than my previous point and shoot camera.

Anyhow, now I'm home alone I gotta clean up :sad:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Welcome back doc!

Lazy day for me... watched Bangkok Dangerous with Nic Cage... so-so, but nothing special.

39F tonight and we have no heat. brrrrr! We are having our duct work reworked in our attic because the first install was not done properly. Our home has never heated and cooled evenly. The room on each end get little to no air flow... everything up there was just done wrong. We'll just have to cover up tonight.

Just finished reading Inside Out by Nick Mason... the story of Pink Floyd. It took me about two years to read it. I would read a page or two every few days. It is very interesting to learn about their history.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
it was. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I know I've been a bit slack, being on holidays and all, but what's everyone else's excuse for not posting in the swamp? c'mon people.

I just did an image search for "GUB" in google and this was the most appropriate image result: Enjoy:

gub.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
:whistling:My excuse is ...............I'm new, ya,ya that's it.........

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Ok! Cool!

I may have bought a new car! :)

And I've definetly going active crossovers and EQ in it! Courtesy of Sonnies unused DCX2496 and a 6 channel amp from way back when! :) I sure hope I get the car. The guy selling it is dragging his feet, hoping for a better bid. I gave him until midnight to decide. :)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
well, the pics a bit small but theres one there. I can't believe I only have 4 days left of my annual leave :sad: Four weeks off and its over. Anyway. I need to earn more money so I can do it again next year I suppose.

wow, what a year so far, I have been weighing up the good and bad and so far it seems a bit both ways.

I have met a wonderful woman, she is beutiful, very inteligent and loves my family. Gives my heart a kick everytime I see her.

Mum has been diagnosed with leukemia, a little sad but the doctors believe that she will respond well to the treatement and all the test results so far have been very pleasing.

Half-way through building my CC, wish I had taken pics of the build process, but ohwell. Maybe For my next set. I just don't seem to remember.

hope everyone is good,
Mav If I read your post right you are going to put a DCX2496 in a car? if so how do you intend implementing this? and what are the benefits?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
There's a 12V powersupply module for it.

I will use it for active crossover and EQ, just like in an active home audio system. With 5 or 6 channels of amplification I can adjust crossover and delay for tweeter, mid and subwoofer individually, as well as EQ each individually. I believe the DCX has several presets as well, so I can have different delays for when I'm alone (delay the closer speakers to get a wider soundstage) and one balanced for both front seats. And maybe one with less subwoofer if I have people in the back seats. Loads of possibilities. Thanks to VmAx for the heads up on that unit. MOstly for the active crossover and EQ, though. I was concerned that I had to run a sealed sub enclosure to get anywhere near decent FR in car, and thus sacrifice extension and headroom. In my experience, headroom is at a premium in a power-limitied environment and extremely noisy environment like a car. You get alot of cabin gain, though, so you get a lot for free. Also, I'll try to keep it within budget, as the car is likely to go quite a bit over budget. A nice experiment, and one not used much, I think. I hope to make a nice sounding system to offset the glaring boomboxes usually associated with trackday meets and car shows. I plan to use a SoundSplinter RL-p12. Haven't decided on amps yet, depends what I come across on ebay, I guess. There's alot of gems out there. For fronts, the car apparently have a pretty decent Infinity separate set with the tweeters mounted near the mirrors on the doors. The delay adjustments in the DCX should make this position actually work for a change, and I can EQ the mids to compensate for the lower door placement. I'm not sure if there's room for some midbass drivers in the back somewhere, maybe in the rear panels. We'll see when I pick the car apart. It's supposed to be noise insulated, but I don't know what material is used. If it's too heavy I'll rip it out, I value driveability over sound insulation, especially for track use. That's why I won't use an extra battery. Probably won't run too long on the battery anyway.

The car is a Mazda 323GTR, by the way, 1992. Black, with a very subtle pearl flake effect that's impossible to describe. Yamaha have used something similar on their bikes from time to time.

Just hope it all goes well, and I can get the car. The guy selling it is dragging his feet.He know's he's got a gem and trying to push the price.... :hissyfit:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Thats a pretty sweet looking ride, Sounds like its all going to sound awesome. Make sure you post a work log in the car forum.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yeah, I hope to do that! And I got the car! :jump:

Oh, did I mention the 300 wheel horspower, the 1100kg kerb weight and the awesome awd system on the car? The finely tuned Eibach suspension? The custom, one-off leather interior? The aftermarket exhaust? The EBC slotted brakes and performance pads? The large front-mounted intercooler? The overhauled heads and turbocharger? And the endless list of small things done to the car? Man, I'm excited! Can you tell? :jiggy:

Was a bit of :spend: but that's fine! :)

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Congrats on the car Mav... :T Looks like a fun car... and will be when you get that system in there.

Doc... sorry about that bad news. Maybe the treatments will help. The lady that works with me, Joy, has her third chemo treatment later this morning... or should I say early in the morning. I simply do not wish that on anyone, but it does hold hope for some.

OTOH... glad you found a nice lady friend!

I haven't been posting because I can't remember and I have been wide open for a while. I got way too much to do and not nearly enough hours in the day. I am overloaded to say the least. :work:

141 - 160 of 410 Posts