Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many of you folks aren't familiar with many of my plans. Currently I'm boiling up some good ones.

The next pair of speakers I plan to build will be a 3-way omnipolar design.

I've already decided on the Anarchy for the bottom driver.

The tweeter will be using an unfaced HiFi RTI tweeter. This tweeter has incredible off-axis response.

The next choice involves the midrange.
I will probably go with the Dayton RS52AN-8.

Now the next question is what do a I do with my spare vifa drivers. :dontknow:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Ooo, you said three of my favorite words: spare, Vifa and drivers. :) Whatcha got whatcha got whatcha got?? :R

·
Registered
472 Posts
Madisound's Recession Buster Mk2's ...
Yes sir you are correct it's the RB2.I couldn't pass it up for $60.The woofer just happens to have near identical T/S parameters to the Vifa unit used by PMC in their DB1.I already had the enclosures built several years ago but abandoned the project, so the RB seemed a perfect excuse and fit to finally finish them.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I got the deal lined up for the Anarcy drivers.

I got the Dayton RS dome for the midrange. Now it's on to Crossover design and planning. I'm probably going to try a passive one for fun and just to have the option.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I cross mine at 7K on the top end. They are ± 3 dB from 100 Hz to 10 kHz wide-band drivers. The FR125 version is an almost true-full-range driver.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Ok I got the deal lined up for the Anarcy drivers.

I got the Dayton RS dome for the midrange. Now it's on to Crossover design and planning. I'm probably going to try a passive one for fun and just to have the option.
I hope so.. I did my first one recently and had fun with the whole process. I'm sure I short-cutted (is that a real word) a lot of issues, but the FR plot is flat where I crossed the mids and tweet. I'm hoping to pick up on some more issues that I may have by-passed.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The build has begun this will be the interior structure of the speakers. They will be inside a constraint layer composed of roofing felt. Then an exterior plywood structure will be built around the interior structure. The bracing will be significant and their will be an 3" port.

WinISD model

Box notes was used to compute the interior the bracing is more

Cuts were made with a circular saw connected to a shop vac to capture the nasty dust.

Nicely stacked and cut.

Clamps

Glue

Emerson tools straight edge

Gluing is being done on the structure now.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Rear braces glued. You can see there are 5 braces with around 3 inches between them.

First side braces glued. The second will be cut once the vertical braces are glued.

A view from the side.

The snag was my glue started running really low. I'll need to get some more glue to continue with the vertical braces and the others.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Another phase of bracing done. If I had a miter saw it would be much easier, but I've made due with the circular saw.

Next is sealing seams and adding some extra bracing with the scrap wood.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts