Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from what i know you are good at 2ohm load it's within the spec for that amp and if you note the amp getting hot (185f+) change it back it wont kill it to try my IB is at 2ohm load i will post some pix later

I'm running 16 Fi IB3 18" off 4 EP2500 (over powered but i just turned down gain)
and my speakers suck so it's 10% mids/highs 90% bass just like my car
i have a window that broke just by the amount of air it will slam my door shut with a 10hz test tone
the room is only 16ftx20ftx8ft with my epson 6500u and 13X" screen (this is my bedroom)
when i get more cash i plain on doing the mids/highs next
subs are in attic box is 28inx42inx124in vent is 26inx120in made out of 1inch MDF then 1inch OSD box is 2inches thick subs are attached from the inside. out side of box has sound mat all over it then i had 2part foam sprayed in to keep the roof in 1 piece had to move a a 2x4 made it one with the sides of the box the box has 3 rows of subs 5 per side and 6 on top:dumbcrazy:

my setup made the door latch pull out of the wall today lol
with termlab stuck to wall behind my bed i get 139.8db at 21.127hz (that's about 17 feet from the port)
i will try to get a real spl meter this week as my termlab is for cars
the stupid part is i can do hair tricks by the door i just love that
and im cutting feq below 10hz and above 85hz with 24db drop so i think it's safe even with the extra power

I'm in a rush so i will clean it up later
(i hate work they killing 70+hrs a week atm +70miles each way in socal:gah:):help:
i have put in for Friday off i will get a cam ASAP and get pic's up

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm running 16 Fi IB3 18" off 4 EP2500 (over powered but i just turned down gain)

subs are in attic box is 28inx42inx124in vent is 26inx120in made out of 1inch MDF then 1inch OSD box is 2inches thick subs are attached from the inside. out side of box has sound mat all over it then i had 2part foam sprayed in to keep the roof in 1 piece had to move a a 2x4 made it one with the sides of the box the box has 3 rows of subs 5 per side and 6 on top:dumbcrazy:
We got a flag on the field...
ok, I'm throwing the flag on this one simply because theirs no pictures and you can't keep your numbers straight. Up top you said you have 16 woofers, down at the bottom here you said 3 rows of 5per side (15) plus another 6 on top which makes 21 total.

Also your dimensions for your enclosure assuming that they are internal dimensions comes out to about 84 cubic ft not including thedisplacement of the port. The dimensions you give assuming its 28" deep x 42"wide x 124" long would give you 2 rows of 6 subs=12 thats still far from your 16...or 21 or however many you have. Again not including any area given up by the port.

The ib3's being infinite baffel subs do not have any specs or recomendations for ported boxes like you claim this monster infinite baffel setup to be...but the SSL18's need 6-10 cuft of ported enclosure air space...meaning you could fit either 14 or 8 in an enclosure that size. But to get serious out put you need to aim for the higher enclosure size.

If you have figured out how to get 134db from 16 or 21 subs playing in a 84cuft enclosure I will personaly nominate your for the nobel prize for engineering.

Also if you put up pictures showing that all of this is true, that you do have 16 or 21 subs in an enclosure that size I will personaly appolagize to you. Although you should probably delete this thread because the guy who owns Fi is on here alot and he could void your warranty for using IB3's in a ported box.

I wonder if Scott could possibly confirm a shipment of 16 or 21 IB3's to a single customer hmmm...

Brian

·
Registered
486 Posts
I think his three row statement includes the the two sides plus the one on top. I guess 5 + 5 + 6 = 16 subs. :huh:

·
Registered
68 Posts
We got a flag on the field...
Brian
:time-out:
Why you gotta hassle the guy just because he mispoke, should have said....... and a sixth on top
:coocoo:

So it's laid out something like this:

And I wanna see the pix. So enough with the hater-aid:foottap:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
:time-out:
Why you gotta hassle the guy just because he mispoke, should have said....... and a sixth on top
:coocoo:

That's how I saw the subs when I read the post about 3 sides with 5 each and 6 on top. haha.

·
Registered
430 Posts
...the guy who owns Fi is on here alot and he could void your warranty for using IB3's in a ported box.
Huh? Is there something stated somewhere on the Fi site about voiding a warranty if used in a ported box?

But he's not using SDX-15's. I demand a re-model.:D

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
Huh? Is there something stated somewhere on the Fi site about voiding a warranty if used in a ported box?
sounds suspect to me too. i believe warranty is for manufacture defects. burning your coil cuz you needed too much power on an undermotored IB sub is no different than burning a coil for any other reason. dropping an IB sub in an enclosure doesn't damage the driver in any way. you may need more power, so you may exceed thermal limits, but thats not a manufacture defect. and, I'm sure you can burn a coil in IB... if you gave it too much power in IB, would it then be covered by warranty?

BTW... I own an IB3 18" and I ran it in 21 cubes tuned to 18Hz and it took it like a champ. I even purchased a custom recone kit to get a dual 2 ohm to make thimgs easier on my amp. After purchasing the recone kit, I tried to blow the old one before cutting it open. It simply wouldn't die!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.