Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its good Friday and I've got 4 days off from work. What to do all alone at home?? I know, turn the system on, grab a drink, log into YouTube and jam out for a bit.... Or best laid plans. After about a half hour of listening, as I was browsing for another song, *POP* everything shut off. I thought I blew a fuse. Then I realized it was only the receiver. I turned it back on and *POP* again only this time with smoke! I pulled it all out, took the cover off, no fuses were blown. After about 8 years I think my Onkyo TXSR805 has sung its last song....... So now its time to get something new. This is unexpected and budgets tight after my little remodeling job but I Cant Live with out my movies and music (and the next few days are gonna DRAG without it).

So heres my question and I'm sure its been asked here a 1000x but we all know we love talking about this stuff so I need your help. I've always had a receiver but I'd like to take the plunge to separates. What to get??? Now I've had my eye on Emotive and also Outlaw Audio. Wondering if theres some other recommendations you might have?

Requirements:
At least 100w per channel
I can get by with 5 channels but would need 7 (All speakers are in and wired)
4 or more hdmi inputs. It doesnt matter to me if it can pass 3D
Quality
Easy of use
Budget - This is tricky because it unexpected. I planned on saving up for my theater seats but that will have to wait.... $2000 is the Absolute max, all cost. I'd like to keep it around $1000-1500 give or take a few $.....

I appreciate your help and input.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Why not get yourself a AVR that has all the features you want and then get a separate power amp that you like when you have more cash? You can get a AVR with more current features than a AVP for less money and after you buy your power amp the total cost will be about the same as just buying the AVP, plus you have spare channels for multiple zones or if you are ever without a power amp. :T

·
Registered
266 Posts
That's too bad. Could it be HDMI related? If yes Onkyo might fix it for free. Give a em a call. Try to recheck your wiring, so it won't happen again. Might have been power related. Denon AVR-X4000 seems to be a receiver that most people like. Audyssey MultEQ XT32 with SubEQ HT Cheapest you'll find it: http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ultra-hd-networking-receiver-w/airplay/1.html

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
That's too bad. Could it be HDMI related? If yes Onkyo might fix it for free. Give a em a call. Try to recheck your wiring, so it won't happen again. Might have been power related. Denon AVR-X4000 seems to be a receiver that most people like. Audyssey MultEQ XT32 with SubEQ HT Cheapest you'll find it: http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ultra-hd-networking-receiver-w/airplay/1.html

Yup, and you can get it BNIB from an Authorized dealer for around $900, or go the refurbished route and save a little more. :T

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not get yourself a AVR that has all the features you want and then get a separate power amp that you like when you have more cash? You can get a AVR with more current features than a AVP for less money and after you buy your power amp the total cost will be about the same as just buying the AVP, plus you have spare channels for multiple zones or if you are ever without a power amp. :T
Before this blew up today, I had been considering this option using the Onkyo. I think though that nows the time to make the move to separates. The system is basically for watching movies 80% of the time anymore. Occasionally I might listen to music streamed from my PC or though the Playstation. Although my girlfriend has been playing Xbox a lot more now that I have the projector setup....

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Before this blew up today, I had been considering this option using the Onkyo. I think though that nows the time to make the move to separates. The system is basically for watching movies 80% of the time anymore. Occasionally I might listen to music streamed from my PC or though the Playstation. Although my girlfriend has been playing Xbox a lot more now that I have the projector setup....
Have you tried to hookup a power amp to your Onkyo... Maybe the preamp stage didn't blow. I used to have separates, and I just see more value in the AVRs, even if you don't use the power amps. I would get a lower end AVR and just use it for the HDMI, processors and then get a new power amp. Have you looked at the AVPs? When I was looking they all had outdated (compared to a AVR) processors, and cost more than a comparable AVR that has more features. The way I look at it... Buy a nice power amp and swap out the AVR when new technology comes out that is for HT needs... You will save a lot of cash and have more current AV processing. :T

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

My girlfriend is asking me what I want to get? Why get separates over another receiver?... Honestly what I've noticed is all the bells and whistles on the receivers I've had through the years I mostly never use. After my adjustments are made, I just pick my source and play. So I'm in more need of basics but I want dynamics. I have a denon receiver in my bedroom (which Im not going to switch out) but it never compared to the Onkyo when it came to power and driving my speakers. As the old saying goes, when all else is equal go with the heaver amp/receiver. I've had Technics, Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo. Its funny because all were rated at 100w or more but you know those numbers arent always true. But the weight told all. The Onkyo is hands down the heaviest, 50+lbs and it always had the dynamics, next was the Yamaha.... I think I really want to go with separates this time...

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Given there was smoke and a couple of pops do not try to use it again unless its been fixed.
8years is a good run for a receiver and there have been "some" improvements in tech so now may be the time. I dont see any benefit to going with separates unless your budget is much larger. There is no gain to going that rout unless you step up to much more costly stuff.
Most receivers in the $800 range have everything you need and more than any separates system can offer.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Given there was smoke and a couple of pops do not try to use it again unless its been fixed.
8years is a good run for a receiver and there have been "some" improvements in tech so now may be the time. I dont see any benefit to going with separates unless your budget is much larger. There is no gain to going that rout unless you step up to much more costly stuff.
Most receivers in the $800 range have everything you need and more than any separates system can offer.
My question is power. I've read review after review of receiver through the years and when they get testing that 5 and 7 channel power, the numbers go way down. Seems like the Yamaha's and Denons are notorious for it. All channels running you might be getting 60w. I noticed this with my Denon, the dynamics were never really there. Only the Onkyo proved this wrong to my ear..... Before this happened I was considering getting a separate amp even for the Onkyo to improve the dynamics. I'd hate to spend $800-1000 right now on a receiver only to want more later on. But I'll consider all options none the less...

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Your right that the Onkyo 805 was a power house when it came to output. there is not a receiver out there that can touch it today. Even the flagship Denon 4520 is not as strong and costs much more.

My issue is that where are you thinking you can go separates for around $800 Even the Emotiva with outboard amps will cost you well over that. If you simply get a receiver like the Denon X4000 or the Onkyo 818 (My recommendations) you could simply buy a two channel Emotiva amp for the mains and your good to go.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I would go with a good avr and some used amps. We recently picked up 3 marantz ma 700 there pretty old and still work great, the amps run our L/R/C and our avr runs the surrounds.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your right that the Onkyo 805 was a power house when it came to output. there is not a receiver out there that can touch it today. Even the flagship Denon 4520 is not as strong and costs much more.

My issue is that where are you thinking you can go separates for around $800 Even the Emotiva with outboard amps will cost you well over that. If you simply get a receiver like the Denon X4000 or the Onkyo 818 (My recommendations) you could simply buy a two channel Emotiva amp for the mains and your good to go.
Lol, no, some others said $800 for a receiver... My budget is around $1500 give or take. I can spend more but dont really want to.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
even $1500 your gaining nothing going separates. stick to one of the good receivers we have mentioned and get a two channel amp and your set.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
I agree with Tony, For a little over $900 you can get the x4000 BNIB from an Authorized Dealer with a 3 year warranty... That leaves you $600 to get a stereo amp. You could even get yourself a nice pro amp for about $300, which will have plenty of power for you. That would put you at a little over $1200 for an Awesome AVR, and a nice power amp. If you don't like the Crown you can always go to your local Guitar or Musician place and demo a Pro amp. :T

I paid $694 for my 2x700 Yamaha power amp... Which is just a bit over your budget.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
even $1500 your gaining nothing going separates. stick to one of the good receivers we have mentioned and get a two channel amp and your set.
I appreciate all the advice from everyone. Again, I'm considering all options. My upper price limit is around $2000 but I'd prefer to keep it at $1500... I just got off the phone with my local A/V dealer, was quoting me some decent prices and I'm gonna stop by tomorrow to check out what they carry. I told him my situation and he too thinks a receiver is the way to go. They deal in mainly Denon and Yamaha when it comes to receivers,,, I want to look into Onkyo and possibly Marantz as well (which they dont carry)...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

You're so right about the power output, it was a beast!.... I'm so depressed right now. lol... That receiver was like an old pair of shoes that fit "just" right and you never want to get rid of. So many options to consider. I think I'll take everyone's advice and go with a receiver, I will always have the option of adding more power to it with an amplifier if need be...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd prefer to keep it at $1500.
Have you looked at the Outlaw 975 pre/pro? If it has all the features that you'll need then I suggest you go with the 975 for $500 (B-stock) and their 7125 amp for $1000.

If the 975 doesn't have all the features you need, then I would go with a Yamaha 775 (the cheapest Yamaha with pre-outs). You should be able to find it for around $500.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you don't need or care about the newer versions of Audyssey this receiver is a good deal:

Tascam PA-R200 $350
http://www.proaudiostar.com/tascam-pa-r200.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...pa_r200_7_2_ch_surround_receiver_network.html

It's supposedly a rebadged Integra DTR-30.4, if you don't already know Onkyo = Integra. Gibson owns Tascam/Teac and Onkyo/Integra. It has 8 HDMI inputs and pre-outs. If it doesn't have enough power you have plenty left in your budget for an Emotiva XPA-5 or XPA-2 power amp. Also the rack ears come off quite easily too.

I picked up that Tascam myself and I'm happy with it so far.

1 - 20 of 212 Posts