Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been a member here for quite awhile, but haven't really posted anything until recently, so here is the theater/basement I've been working on for the last couple years. I'll cover the rest of the basement in the second post.

I'll start out with the equipment list:

- Epson 6500UB
- SeymourAV 100" XD screen
- Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH
- Outlaw M2200 x3
- Klipsch RF-62 x3
- Klipsch RS-52 x2
- Klipsch RB-51 x2
- Klipsch RW-12d Sonosub
- SVS PC12-NSD x2
- Anti-Mode 8033c
- HTPC/PS3/Xbox 360/Wii
- iTach IR
- BlueJeans 10AWG in-wall speaker cable

After checking out a local theater, I decided that I just had to build a theater myself. Since we had an unfinished basement that we were going to finish anyway, the wife and I decided (I pitched it to her and she bought it :)). I decided to go with metal studs as they are easy to work with and they give straight walls. To avoid rattles, I used liquid nails at EVERY joint where metal on metal contact was present.

Here's when we got started:

This is currently the latest:

Insulating:

A/V closet - future location of A/V rack (ready to install, just gotta do it)

Working on the stage. It was filled with about 2,000 lbs of sand.

Carpet!

A few components have changed since this picture.

False wall:

I think I will add a riser and some more seating at the rear. Christmas proved that 3 seats weren't enough.

I still need a few more acoustic panels (these are ATS panels):

As you can tell, it's not complete, but we've already started using it. I am extremely happy that we decided to build a theater as I love watching movies and playing video games on such a setup.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I figured it'd be a good idea to separate the other space in the basement from the theater, but it's pretty enjoyable to watch TV/movies and play games in as well.

Equipment:
- Sony 52" TV
- Denon AVR-1610
- Xbox 360 + Kinect
- HTPC
- Polk Audio RC65
- Polk Audio RC60i
- Polk Audio TSi CS10
- DIY "Acoustimass" :)

The beginning:

I had some left over speaker cable (BlueJeans 10AWG), so I decided to add surround sound to the room. I also ran CAT6 throughout the theater and to the floor above for streaming from the server.

I also built boxes into the ceiling for the rear speakers.

Insulation and drywall:

Older picture. The Klipsch sub is gone and I have added a sub that my dad and I built in 1995 which I recently updated.

Missing from the picture is an HTPC that now sits right of the receiver.

Also outdated... My daughter has her kitchen set and a few other toys behind the couch now.

We all get to play games in here :)

This now sits above the door into the theater. The wife got it for me for Christmas this past year.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Impressive. What made you go with the subs behind the screen, trying to keep the room as clean as possible?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the initial idea was to keep it all hidden, but it didn't work well for some frequencies at my seating position. Even the mains fell victim to room acoustics in the same frequency range.

Before trying to move them around, I started building my own sono and although I'm not done with it, I tested it out near the rear of the room on the side wall and it completely fixed my problem. Once I'm done with it, I'll play with more placement options, but I think it will allow me to keep my SVS up front behind the screen.

With all three subs in there (with one placed at the rear), I can make it sound like my old car in highschool with running through the test tones. I was even walking stuff off the table in kitchen above. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like you need some room isolation :D

Or were you simply trying to "sonically" clean the dishes upstairs?
If I ever get the hair to do this sort of thing again, I learned that I'll need to completely decouple the ceiling from the floor above for sound going both ways. I wish I would have thought to build a separate ceiling in this room completely decoupled from the floor above... Live and learn.

beautiful, what color is that on the walls?
I love the acoustic panels, where did you get the material.

thanks
IIRC, the color is Valspar Carmelized Onion, but I'd hav to double check as we have a similar, but lighter color in the living room upstairs and everything is a blur anymore.

I got the panels from ATS Acoustics, howver, two of them warped. I was going to build mine out of MDF, I should have stuck with that.

Nice room! It appears wider then it actually is. Again very nice!:T
Thank you! I really wish the room were wider, but that's the best I could do.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Cool to see you over here as well.

Can't wait until I have a house I can do a real theater in...

I finally get the metal stud idea with the rattling....and the reason for the dual drywall and isolation clips.

I like the Klipsch stuff, looks sharp.

:T

·
Registered
72 Posts
Man, that is a lot of speakers. What are you using for your center channel, or are you using both?? Is this an 8.3 setup?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Great builds. Congrats on a job well done. Very very nice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, congratulations. Very well done. Do you have any specific plans for additional acoustic treatments? I think it is much easier to put them in a dedicated theater room as opposed to a shared home theater / family room like I have.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts