Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All...

I just spent the last hour + reading about the Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP-1124P.

My head is spinning just a bit (well, maybe a lot).

Basically, my situation is this: I have a 7.1 set-up. (Polk rtia3 fronts, Polk csia6 center, Polk FXia4 surrounds, Polk RTi4 Rears) and an Energy s10.3 sub. The main speakers in the set-up are all new. Set-up was taken care of by my Elite's MCACC. LFE is managed by the AVR with a x-over set at 80Hz

I am having a really hard time getting my sub to blend. I've done the sub crawl... just about everything I can think of... and I am getting a really boomy-disjointed sound. The sub sound has no crispness... it's very loose and distracting and just plain boomy!

Someone suggested I look into EQ for my sub... explaining that EQ will allow me to flatten the response and get rid of that boomy-ness in our listening position.

It looks like the BFD is a popular choice. What I can't figure out is:

What equipment/software do I need to make this all work???

I do not own a PC... I have a MacBook Pro, though. Is this a problem? Does a BFD need to be hooked-up to a PC in order to input settings?

Could someone with some knowledge give me a quick-run down of all the BASIC equipment/software I will need to use a BFD???:innocent:

It would be greatly appreciated.... I'd like to be able to do this right without spending a fortune (or buying a new sub)... and, for a relative novice in HT... this stuff can be REALLY confusing.

Thanks,
27dnast

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I used to have a Pioneer Elite SC-05 and the problem that many face with the MCACC is that it doesn't EQ below 40Hz which leaves a large amount of "boominess" in the sub 40 Hz range. I implemented the DSP-1124 into my setup and it worked fairly easy. You DO NOT have to upload the settings via the midi connection, each frequency can be modified manual on the Behringer itself. You would only need to have a capable sound card and sound meter/mic to get acurate results from REW and then find the spikes and lulls and adjust accordingly on the Behringer.

I know my response isn't very detailed, but it can be done quite easily and effectively without using the midi connection between the PC/MAC and the Behringer. The setup and process is documented very well in our REW section of the forum and there are plenty of us that would be more than happy to help walk you through it!

Thanks,
Dale

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say capable sound card... does my MacBook Pro count????

Can I run a line from a Radio Shack SPL to my MacBook Pro and have the REW software do it's thing?

·
Registered
4,127 Posts

Can I run a line from a Radio Shack SPL to my MacBook Pro and have the REW software do it's thing?
Unfortunately internal sound cards do not work very well due to some limited functionality. There is some great information in the REW forum http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/ . There are plenty of threads about running REW on the MAC. The Radio Shack SPL works fine and there are calibration files already in the REW forum for that as well. The biggest problem with internal soundcards is the lack of a proper "line-in".

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay... I'll read-up on the forum...

Just to check, though, before I start more reading:

Am I heading down the right road? Am I correct in thinking that the boomy-ness problem that I am trying to correct can be controlled by EQ-ing?

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
The boominess is probably a combination of sub placement, EQ and room acoustics. IMO, the EQ is going to give you greatest results and then you can add acoustic treatments if necessary. You are definitely headed down the right road. I found a sound card that should work for you as well, but I would do some checking in the REW forum for others that have success with it or with a different unit.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA202-Audio-Interface/dp/B000KW2YEI/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_3

Let me know if you have any other questions!

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks... appreciate it.

One other question.... some of the BFD units can be had for less than $50 used. Do you see any problem with getting a unit that is used but in good condition (Do I need a manual??? Looks like the documentation on the forum is really substantial).

·
Registered
61 Posts

Probably not the best way to do it - but it's what I do - and it works ok. Btw I have the sc-07 and I also miss sub eq - and I also think the pioneer elites offer way to few possibilities for x-overs - I would take a minidsp over the BFD any day - much easier to tweak - and it connects to a mac or pc through usb.

Best regards

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Thanks... appreciate it.

One other question.... some of the BFD units can be had for less than $50 used. Do you see any problem with getting a unit that is used but in good condition (Do I need a manual??? Looks like the documentation on the forum is really substantial).
I don't see any issue with getting a used unit if you can find one. You shouldn't need the documentation, as you said, it is a very documented device on the forum and if all else fails I will scan and email you a copy of mine. :T

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok.

In terms of taking the frequency measurements manually vs using the software... for my application, would it be cheaper/quicker to do it manually?

I see there is a downloadable spreadsheet for manual.

If I go with the software... do I understand that I can simply plug in a midi cable from the hdmi sound card (plug that into the EQ) and have it transmit the calibration information??

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
ok.

In terms of taking the frequency measurements manually vs using the software... for my application, would it be cheaper/quicker to do it manually? I see there is a downloadable spreadsheet for manual.
It would be cheaper, but it would definitely take a lot longer and is a much more arduous task.

If I go with the software... do I understand that I can simply plug in a midi cable from the hdmi sound card (plug that into the EQ) and have it transmit the calibration information??
You would have to have a midi device that directly interfaces between the Mac and the DSP1124, the soundcard would not do it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Dude it took me a week to get REW and the BFD working correctly but now it sounds awesome. Put in the effort and you will be happy.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think your "boominess" problem is because you have a little tiny sub in probably a huge room. How many cf is your room? Equalization won't fix lack of output and power. Equalization works better when you are taming highs rather than boosting lows.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think your "boominess" problem is because you have a little tiny sub in probably a huge room. How many cf is your room? Equalization won't fix lack of output and power. Equalization works better when you are taming highs rather than boosting lows.
The room is not that big... 1490 cubic feet... all enclosed.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
MCACC does not EQ below 40 Hz so there is a greater possibility that the boominess is a result of untamed lows. This does not mean that you will not want to eventually put in dual subs, but for the room you have, your sub is plenty for the bottom end.

There is also a very good thread on MCACC HERE if you are interested in fine tuning it a bit. It has some very detailed steps to further cut down on reverb, etc. I found it extremely valuable when I had my SC-05.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also, are you setting your speakers to "small" and the crossover to 80hz within MCACC?
Yes, speakers are set to small and x-over is set to 80hz

I have some extra psw-10's. Someone recommended that I wire them speaker level to the front L and R speakers... X-ing over at about 60 or 70 hz and setti g those two speakers to large (setting each woofer next to the L and R stands. Then, running my s10.3 off the LFE managed by the AVR x-over at 80hz.

Thought that might help even things out a bit.

Oddly, if I run both psw-10s off of the LFE, all speAkers set to small and x-over set to 80, with the psw10's positioned about 2 feet from the front wall, firing across the room at eachother... The bass is not boomy and sounds half decent. ???????

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
That makes sense because the source is no longer coming from a single location. If anything, split the subs off of the LFE using a splitter rather than connecting them to the fronts. I would guess that the lack of boominess is a canceling out of some sort. It would really tell a lot more to what is going on if you could get some readings. The Energy sub has 200 watts of continuous power and 800 for peak which is plenty of power for your room. Is the room square/rectangle or does it have any mis-shaped walls?

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I may have posted my last response too soon without asking an important question. When you connect the PSW-10's, are you disconnecting the Energy?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts