Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would I be going backwards since the 1613 is a newer receiver? From what I've read, the 809 is the more powerful receiver.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hi and welcome aboard the HTS!
The Onkyo does have a heavier weight and that usually indicates a better power supply. It also has THX certification giving you some very useful processing modes as well as the very best video processor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.

I noticed that the 809 is very heavy. I have read that I may only notice the differences at very high volume. I rarely play my system at max volume. I may also want to add an external amp at some point so that is a check in the 809's column.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Not necessarily high volume but if you listen to movies with lots of dynamic range and you have speakers that can handle it when all channels are driven that extra headroom will prevent distortion caused by a weak power supply.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The Klipsch speakers are very easy to drive but I still think that the added power and the other features I mentioned are going to be an improvement. The 809 also has Audyssey MultEQ XT a step up from what the Denon has.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
The 1613 is a downgrade across all categories. As it well should be considering the MSRP. While thanks to the sensitivity of the Klipschs, the Denon would have more than enough power. However, the Onkyo uses what many consider to be the finest video processing solution on the market with the tandem of HQV Vida and Marvell Qdeo.

In addition, the Onkyo offers Audyssey MultEQ XT compared to MultEQ in the 1613. XT offers more filtering and supports up to 8 different measurement points. The 809 is a 7 Channel AVR whereas the 1613 is 5 Channels, the 809 has Preamp Outputs whereas the 1613 does not. As the HDMI spec is 1.4 on both, with the exception of AirPlay on the 1613, I honestly cannot think of one pro over the 809.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I agree with Tony, better room equalization and dynamics.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your great responses. Maybe I'll order that 809 today and play around with it. If I don't like it more then that's what the return period is for.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Return period? I don't remember ever returning any gear in my life. I'm a lot better at buying than returning or even selling. LOL

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Return period? I don't remember ever returning any gear in my life. I'm a lot better at buying than returning or even selling. LOL

Well, I still have the 1613 which I would need to sell if I keep the 809. Well sell it or start a second home theater.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Well, I still have the 1613 which I would need to sell if I keep the 809. Well sell it or start a second home theater.
Hello,
Provided the Denon is driving your speakers to your satisfaction, there certainly is not an acute need to sell the 1613 for a loss. Needless to say, I was not aware that you already both had the Denon and were beyond any return period. While the 809 is an undeniably better AVR in my estimation, the 1613 is quite good as well.
Cheers,
J

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello,
Provided the Denon is driving your speakers to your satisfaction, there certainly is not an acute need to sell the 1613 for a loss. Needless to say, I was not aware that you already both had the Denon and were beyond any return period. While the 809 is an undeniably better AVR in my estimation, the 1613 is quite good as well.
Cheers,
J

Got the 1613 for a good price. Not pressed to sell it. We shall see what the 809 is about this weekend. If I am not terribly impressed with it over my 1613 then it goes back. If I am impressed with what it has to offer over the 1613, I'll keep it and decide what I want to do with it.

The Master suite in my home is about 8,000 cubic feet and the wife has asked about doing some sort of setup in there. Instant use for it when the time comes. :T

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good. I've been trying to get both my sub's fully integrated. I ran Audyssey with one sub and then just plugged in the second. Didn't work because there was too much bass. Now I'm going to try to run Audyssey with them both on after I gain match them. Hopefully that works.

I received mine Friday but the ups guy wouldn't leave it because we had an ice storm and all so I actually drove to the local ups facility that evening and picked it up.

I was a few seconds from actually returning the unit because the volume I was getting wasn't anything better than the 613. I then got online and did some checking. I discovered the jewel called Intellivolume. It instantly made me love the 809.

Today I am going to be running Audyssey for about the 10th tome and hopefully get it perfect?.lol.

Did I mention...well not to you because you know but. This thing is a real monster sitting side by side with my 1613.

Here's to fun times.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oh yeah it's a beast. As far as your subs go yes I had them both plugged in when I ran Audessy and just tried to tune them both down to 75db. I just put my ear right next to them both to try and get them to match...I know the guys on here have much better ways, but this worked for me. Also I should note I currently am running 2 different subs. Good luck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Oh yeah it's a beast. As far as your subs go yes I had them both plugged in when I ran Audyssey and just tried to tune them both down to 75db. I just put my ear right next to them both to try and get them to match...I know the guys on here have much better ways, but this worked for me. Also I should note I currently am running 2 different subs. Good luck
It will take a little bit of time, but you could run Audyssey on EACH sub independently and adjust the subs until they show up around -3 dB trim in your speaker setup. Run Audyssey with BOTH hooked up and they should be pretty close to 0 dB in speaker setup. You could purchase a $50 RadioShack SPL meter as well. This would also allow you to use REW to fine-tune your room acoustics.

As far as the 1613 vs. 809. The 809 is going to be better in every category except for maybe heat output. The Onkyo receivers run hot. Another bonus is the preamp outs, which would allow for the addition of external amps for more power or more speakers. Handy when you decide up get more powerful speakers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It will take a little bit of time, but you could run Audyssey on EACH sub independently and adjust the subs until they show up around -3 dB trim in your speaker setup. Run Audyssey with BOTH hooked up and they should be pretty close to 0 dB in speaker setup. You could purchase a $50 RadioShack SPL meter as well. This would also allow you to use REW to fine-tune your room acoustics.

As far as the 1613 vs. 809. The 809 is going to be better in every category except for maybe heat output. The Onkyo receivers run hot. Another bonus is the preamp outs, which would allow for the addition of external amps for more power or more speakers. Handy when you decide up get more powerful speakers.

I bought it with the intent of going 7.1 at some point. Even though I don't think I will need an amp anytime soon, it's good to have that option.

7.1 is going to be a real pain to set up because I have a window directly to the right of my seating position. Currently my regular surrounds are on the back wall but they are dipole speakers so they do pretty good.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts