Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have only had the 809 a few days, but have not noticed much heat either. Note I am not using external amps and my unit is on my tv stand which is open. Dark Knight trilogy is sounding great!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Wow, finally got the 809 dialed in. Audyssey did a pretty good job. I brought both subs up to 72db by starting Audyssey with each independently because having dual subs usually adds about 6db. That turned out to be right on the money. When I plugged both subs in they came out to 75 db together and by the time I finished running Audyssey, I came up with a perfect 0.0db trim for the subs.

The wife and I took in Taken2 this past evening. The movie itself was ok but my theater sounded great.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For something like the 809, are there really any speakers that it won't drive? I've heard that Maggies and other planar speakers need lots of power, but is the 809 enough? I'm looking for a new receiver and hoping to one day get Magnepans

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The 809 would struggle but it could do it as long as you dont push it and give it lots of airflow.
The 809 does have pre outs so adding external amps is always an option. The problem with Electrostatic speakers is they can dip down to 1 Ohm and that is really hard on most receivers as they are designed for no lower then 4 Ohms.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Alright thanks for your reply. I definitely have been looking at AVR's that have pre-outs so I can always use power amps if I need them in the future. I've been doing research on receivers for quite some time now to try to find the "perfect" one that will last me forever

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Alright thanks for your reply. I definitely have been looking at AVR's that have pre-outs so I can always use power amps if I need them in the future. I've been doing research on receivers for quite some time now to try to find the "perfect" one that will last me forever

I don't think that one exists. Especially if you frequent places like this....lol. You're always going to want the latest and greatest.:D

21 - 26 of 26 Posts