Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been holding off on building the IB, no real reason, maybe just lazy? Anyway, at this point I'll have the other 2 drivers in the next few weeks so I'm just going to wait it out. I know where my manifold will be going so this is more of a "What if or why not? issue.

I've heard many say "Don't put an IB behind the listening position" I get that, however, I've read articles from JBL and others that say for best bass output 4 subs, 2 in the front 2 in the back. Why not 4 IB locations, 2 up front 2 in the rear? I would assume you could do a single driver array in each spot or even add 2 drivers ( or more) and make a manifold.

Would there be any benefit to doing this at all?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
That's a good question. Multiple placement works for ported subs as my setup is 2 in the back and 2 on the sides. Testing IB locations is done by placing a sub in the possible IB location and seeing how it sounds. If you could do that in 2 locations at the same time, it would give you an idea on the effect.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I am a huge proponent of placing a sub in the front of a room and the rear. In the few situations I have seen it has really helped balance out the response. This is most likely going to be my plan, 2 in the front and 2 in the rear, if I can get away with dressing up the ceiling nice enough to keep my wife happy.

You can experiment with phase and x-over points and quite possibly get a smooth response with no eq. I was able to do this in our dedicated HT room.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts