Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think? It looks to me like wines are almost like the snake oil Audio industry where you say it sounds different, but the next day your opinion is different than you thought before. It also adds a question as to being prepped by the one doing the testing. If a person says that the amps you are listening to are big bucks, and they are comparing it to a lowly mid priced amp...what if they told you the opposite, with the low priced one being the high priced one and vise versa? Would your opinion change? The power of persuasion...

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jun/23/wine-tasting-junk-science-analysis

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I don't really care for wine, unless it is a port. Some of these I like a lot. They taste very similar, the few that are less than pleasant on the pallet...I don't buy again. I bought an $85 bottle about 2 months ago to take to a dinner party. It was superb...but maybe I was impressed because of the price. All I know is I liked it a lot & it went perfectly with the pork dish that was served. I will have to test a cheaper port in a blind test with a buddy (that is a wine snob) & see if my $'s are well spent!

I offered once that amp evals should be completely blind, one should never know which one they are hearing. That takes the anticipation out of the equation, which to me would be paramount.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
I like me a little wine now and then. I'd have to agree that it is very subjective much like audio. You can tell the cheap stuff the same as you can tell the cheap stuff in audio. You can also very much enjoy the midrange and high end entrants, there is definitely a point of diminishing returns, same as audio.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Taste has far more superiority over hearing as far as accuracy. Your hearing can be affected by fatigue but if you slam a pile of dog poop in your mouth I'm pretty sure that each and every time you try it it's gonna taste like dog poop.

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Taste has far more superiority over hearing as far as accuracy. Your hearing can be affected by fatigue but if you slam a pile of dog poop in your mouth I'm pretty sure that each and every time you try it it's gonna taste like dog poop.
...yet, they could not get the wines down as to which was better.:ponder:

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I wonder if common Labrador intrigues the palate as well as Shar-Pei?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts