Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys my mother's minivan broke and my only alternative left for transportation is RTA and it'll be too difficult for me to bring all that heavy MDF home using RTA so I'm looking for alternatives to build my enclosures. I know cardboard is a viable solution but the largest I could find was the 12" x 48" ones and those are not big enough for the volume I want to use. I thought about plastic containers and thrash cans because they have a useable size that will allow me to build enclosures bigger than 5 ft3. The problem is that I never heard of somebody building any good sounding speakers using them and I thought that maybe here I can find some accurate answers about if it's viable or not. Thanks in advance for reading and try to help me.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
plastic garbage cans, cardboard boxes and such would need alot of bracing and layers to make them ridged enough for a subwoofer enclosure. The challange would be to make it solid enough to stop all vibration from moving the cabinet its self. This vibration translates to noise and thats not a good thing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
plastic garbage cans, cardboard boxes and such would need alot of bracing and layers to make them ridged enough for a subwoofer enclosure. The challange would be to make it solid enough to stop all vibration from moving the cabinet its self. This vibration translates to noise and thats not a good thing.
So basically the answer is yes if braced correctly? I found a pump basin sturdy enough and there's no need to brace that one. The link is right here: pump basin. I actually checked it at the store and is really sturdy. It even has some mounting inserts to attach a lid. I'll only need to cut some MDF the same diameter of the open size so I can mount my subwoofer there. That will save me a lot of time. The only problem I see is that is not big enough for some subs. I'll be able to get about 2.8 ft3 in volume at most. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
be an interesting project, cant hurt to try. I would not use to large a driver and still use some bracing. Post pictures and let us know how it works.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
be an interesting project, cant hurt to try. I would not use to large a driver and still use some bracing. Post pictures and let us know how it works.
The drivers are already on their way, a pair of JBL GTO1214 12" subwoofers. I guess that I can use an internal brace that will work also as a support for a rear port.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi

You can use two plastic garbage cans or buckets (one smaller than the other) and a bag of cement or plaster to build a nice subwoofer box. The cement is mixed with water and is poured in the middle of the two cans, this adds a good amount of weight and stiffness. The sub attaches to the inner can, the outer is fixed to the vehicle.

Here's a guide: http://www.transcendentsound.com/Transcendent/Subwoofer.html

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
If by cardboard you mean sonotube, try a concrete supply place. They should have any size you can imagine. Plus they might cut for you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Guys my mother's minivan broke and my only alternative left for transportation is RTA and it'll be too difficult for me to bring all that heavy MDF home using RTA so I'm looking for alternatives to build my enclosures. I know cardboard is a viable solution but the largest I could find was the 12" x 48" ones and those are not big enough for the volume I want to use. I thought about plastic containers and thrash cans because they have a useable size that will allow me to build enclosures bigger than 5 ft3. The problem is that I never heard of somebody building any good sounding speakers using them and I thought that maybe here I can find some accurate answers about if it's viable or not. Thanks in advance for reading and try to help me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
5 years is quite a while to wait for an answer but in the even that someone like myself comes across this as I did it is indeed possible. I just made on recently as a part of a 2.1 bluetooth for my daughter. I used an ayoshima 50x50x100 TPA-3116 amplifier with bluetooth mod
Screenshot_20200316-005523_My Files.jpg
ule, 2 3in 25watt skar tweeters, an old mephisto audio HPO-104D with a auto switching 12-24v power supply along with a few led lights for flare. I'll try to add photos if they wont load and your interested check the link below. And yes I know ots very primitive looking. I'm not much of an artist lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts