Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Those are the generally guidelines, the mid-wall placement also works for the front and back wall.

Here are a couple of other multi-sub placement approaches:

http://blog.acousticfrontiers.com/w...ofers-to-improve-bass-the-welti-devantie.html

These are just starting points though, you have to experiment to find the best location. I have had rooms were one of the best spots was about 5 feet into the room from the front wall in the center. I found this spot by accident as I was just testing a sub and just plopped it down there to see if it functioned correctly before moving it. It was crazy how much better the bass was there then my second best location but it was in a walk way so it was not possible to keep it there.

Most rooms are going to have different spots that are optimal. You can also do the trick were you place the sub at your seating position and play low frequency test tones and crawl around to hear were the bass is the loudest and smoothest. The spot were it sounds best is were you place the sub. You can also do this with measuring software and move the mic around until you find the spot that has the best response.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I agree with this:
So then, how do you get two subs to produce great bass in your place? Experimentation is the answer: Since there are no guaranteed best spots when it comes to positioning multiple subwoofers, moving it around and listening over and over is really the only way to get the subs locked-in with your lair.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I use the 1/4 placement along my front wall. I do notice a bit of a dead spot about 2/3 of the way to my back wall. My seating location is about 2-3 feet back from there and the bass level is good for me.
I also use this method. I have found that raising the front of my subs by about 1.5" (upward tilt) and toeing them about 20 degrees inward (toward the MLP) yielded much better results for me. When I ran Audyssey with this arrangement, the sub distance was much more closer (9.5' vs 12.5' before. Real distance is about 8.5') and my sub trim level ended up at 0 vs 2.5 before.

Not sure if it's a recommended approach or not, but when I tested it out with the apartment scene in Live Free or Die Hard, every machine gun shots were of pant flapping, and couch shaking :bigsmile:

cheers

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the response, guys.

I found it curious that they suggested mid-way up the side walls (across from each other) as the best place to start. I would have thought it would be front corners.

Anyhow...THANKS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts