Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So that I know that I am not alone, I would like to hear others experiences. I recently moved to a house from an apartment. While I lived at the apartment I jammed ALL day and blasted movies ALL night. I never had a single complaint, either directly or indirectly. Now that I am in a house with decent space between neighbors, I am unable to say the same. My wife and I can be watching a movie at 8 o'clock at night ( I feel this is a reasonable hour ) and she will get a text saying "seriously?", "why do y'all listen to movies SO loud?". The unfortunate thing is that the husband doesn't care and actually wants to come over and watch movies, but I think he hasn't because she won't let him. So now every time I watch a movie, my wife makes me turn the sub almost all the way down :( I can definitely say that I am not a fan of this! Has anyone else experienced anything like this? What did you do? Thanks!

p.s. I think that this is in the wrong section, I couldn't find the "My neighbors hate me" section lol

·
Registered
487 Posts
A few years ago I asked my neighbor if my system ever bothered him, and he said that a couple times he heard thunder in the distance when the sky was clear, but it was never loud enough to bother him. 2 concrete walls and 12 ft of dirt is usually enough to dampen +14 dB.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha! That was what she said once! She was like "I don't know if it's thundering, some ghetto car is in the neighbor hood, or if it's y'all. I go outside and it's clear it IS y'all." I am not fortunate enough to have all of the dampening material between us, like you though :(

G

·
Maybe you could fire up a movie, ask to come over and experience what the neighbor is. See if she has a point, or if she is just crazy. :dumbcrazy: If it is loud for some reason, you might have to double up some dry wall or figure out how to cut the external db levels.

If she won't work with you at all, then I'd just look up your local laws and stick to them. If she keeps harassing you, then you could have a legitimate complaint against her. Almost all people are reasonable, but a few aren't. Like my sister n law who is just plain nuts. I hope you don't have one of those living next to you....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately, the house is a rental so the drywall is out:( The law here states that the after 10 o'clock it is disturbing the peace. Also, from the stuff my wife has showed me on Facebook that this lady writes, she IS crazy! She has blatantly talked about us in her comments. She doesn't say us explicitly but we aren't stupid! I am just saddened by this whole ordeal. Fortunately, we only have a one year lease and off to another town to live in the country away from all neighbors!

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
If your not breaking the law and have tried to talk to her and she is just being unreasonable then I would not worry to much about it. If you have an spl meter you could go in front of her house and take a reading before you turn on your system and then after you put in a movie take another reading. Then you can see if she really has a gripe or is just being an unreasonable nieghbor.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Its not to hard to walk outside between the houses and listen to what's going on.
If you can hear it pretty good then you need to do something to reduce the sound getting outside the house.
This may be moving the speakers/sub farther away from that side of the house or it may mean lowering the volume.
What is the SPL at your listening position ?

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Good comments on here. Sorry to hear your pains: some people really stink, and rather than partake your enjoyment they would rather be petty, jealous, and annoying. My wife and I were just discussing how nice it would be to watch movies outside (now that it's not 100°!) but our neighbors are mostly older (and crotchety to boot) :heehee: Good luck handling this.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I think if your laws say that after 10pm is the limit, then listen at a volume that you enjoy up until then, and after 10 turn it down. It can't possibly be that bad in the house next door, unless your houses are made of paper. Some people are just busybodies and like to look for things to pick at with the neighbors (especially if you're renting).

Do a test yourself, put on a movie with some heavy bass, and go outside and walk around your house. If it is actually obnoxious, then you'll have to be reasonable and turn it down a bit, but if it seems like she's just being picky, then you'll have to agree to disagree on the matter, and keep your movie watching between 8 - 10:00.

It really sucks having annoying neighbors, especially in a detached house where you think you would have the freedom to do what you want. With that said, just do a check to make sure that YOU aren't the annoying neighbor in this case. And ask your neighbor on the other side what they think too to get a second opinion.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I have had the police called on me several times for playing my music too loud i will admit that the volume was obnoxious but it was all during day light hours. The last time an officer came i asked him what the law was and he was not sure so i called the department and was told that anything that is bothering the neighbors regardless of hours was disturbing the peace.:doh:

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
I have had the police called on me several times for playing my music too loud i will admit that the volume was obnoxious but it was all during day light hours. The last time an officer came i asked him what the law was and he was not sure so i called the department and was told that anything that is bothering the neighbors regardless of hours was disturbing the peace.:doh:
Did someone mention playing music too loud? Bambino? :rubeyes::rubeyes: I can't believe it! :neener:

After talking to them nicely and trying to find a work-around, I'd probably find that my grass needed mowing, edging, and clean-up...every weekend morning as soon as the sun peeks out :whistling:. Oh, and I'd be sure to use those really 'quiet' two-cycle gas weed-eaters and blowers, since they work best :nerd:. Be sure to protect your hearing: wear earplugs :rofl:

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Did someone mention playing music too loud? Bambino? :rubeyes::rubeyes: I can't believe it! :neener:

After talking to them nicely and trying to find a work-around, I'd probably find that my grass needed mowing, edging, and clean-up...every weekend morning as soon as the sun peeks out :whistling:. Oh, and I'd be sure to use those really 'quiet' two-cycle gas weed-eaters and blowers, since they work best :nerd:. Be sure to protect your hearing: wear earplugs :rofl:
Comedy! I've tried all the freindly keep your neighbors happy things, nothing will keep them happy so i'll just keep on working on a noise ticket:bigsmile:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Some places have clear measurable noise laws. In Edmonton it is 65 dBA 7AM-10PM, 70 dBA up to 2 hr duration, 85 dBA up to 15 minute duration, and overnight 10PM-7AM 50 dBA. All measurements from the property line. Check your city bylaws.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Had a few occasions were there were threats of the law being called but nothing serious? I cured this problem with bass shakers. A good reduction in spl but with the same effects of big subs shaking everything.

Just my two cents.

BIG'EN

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I am an active member here and I like to play movies and music at fairly high levels so I do not think I am a 'stick in the mud' type of individual, but I find it interesting that there are so many who have so little regard about disturbing their neighbors and even after being asked to lower the volume continue to push the absolute limits.
Even if listening to loud music is a right (which it is not), that right does not supercede another person's right to rest in peace.
If you are playing music or movies loud enough that the neighbors are asking you to turn it down it really is pretty simple... turn it down or do something to the dwelling to prevent the sound from escaping.

When it comes to the law you will probably find that it is more restrictive than you imagine, I just checked my city ordinance and in residential areas from 7am-10pm it is 55dB average (less than 90% duration) with 65dB max (less than 10% duration) minimum measured time period 10 minutes maximum measured time period 1 hour. This is measured at the property line.

Anyone that has experience with an SPL meter knows that this is not very loud.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
I am an active member here and I like to play movies and music at fairly high levels so I do not think I am a 'stick in the mud' type of individual, but I find it interesting that there are so many who have so little regard about disturbing their neighbors and even after being asked to lower the volume continue to push the absolute limits.
Even if listening to loud music is a right (which it is not), that right does not supercede another person's right to rest in peace.
If you are playing music or movies loud enough that the neighbors are asking you to turn it down it really is pretty simple... turn it down or do something to the dwelling to prevent the sound from escaping.
You definitely have a good point. As I said, finding a resolution would be of utmost intention. With that said, I have neighbors that I asked when they moved in whether sound from my home was an issue and (fortunately) they said 'absolutely not'. On the other hand, I also have a business behind me that allows, no, encouraged their employees to park in the alley which blocks entry into my driveway (their cars blocked refuse pickup too). After bringing the problem up to the business owner, they completely disregarded my request (very nice, eh?). I ended up calling the police after way too long: she denied any knowledge of a problem, said I 'scared' her employees, acted ignorant, and so on. Finally, after three calls to the police she moved her fence to allow more space for employee parking: nice huh?

My point is :eek:lddude: :dontknow: Oh, hopefully our member is using the forum to vent and/or get helpful ideas, and perhaps some members (me) mistakenly suggested inappropriate 'solutions'.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
When it comes to the law you will probably find that it is more restrictive than you imagine, I just checked my city ordinance and in residential areas from 7am-10pm it is 55dB average (less than 90% duration) with 65dB max (less than 10% duration) minimum measured time period 10 minutes maximum measured time period 1 hour. This is measured at the property line.

Anyone that has experience with an SPL meter knows that this is not very loud.
That's why people need to use their own sense and not rely on 'laws'. I live a block away from a busy street and my spl meter was fluctuating between 55 and 66db just now in my backyard due to traffic noise, and its after the lunch hour... it also peaked at 80db several times when the light turned green and allowed free traffic flow. That all without my outdoor A/C condenser running...:gulp:

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
QUOTE]

Like stated in my post when the officer came to have me turn it down but didn't know the law i called the station and anything at any time that is bothering someone is against the law. For the record i do only play the tunes obnoxiously during the day and when the windows are closed so there is abit of respect going on or the best times to play loud is when it's storming.
I just wish that my neighbors would say something to me, they know i'm harmless but must feel it easier to call the police:huh:.

·
Registered
487 Posts
chashint said:
I find it interesting that there are so many who have so little regard about disturbing their neighbors and even after being asked to lower the volume continue to push the absolute limits.
If you are playing music or movies loud enough that the neighbors are asking you to turn it down it really is pretty simple...
I humbly accept the deserved rebuke. The line between legal and illegal is often in a different location than the line between right and wrong. Instead of exercising our rights, sometimes we should raise our sights higher and exercise grace.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts