Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the dicussion so far, starting in PM. Thanks to lsiberian.

lsiberian said:
eugovector said:
Hi,

Do you have firsthand experience with the Behringer 2030 or similar? I'm toying around buying a set of their active monitors, and I've had great experience with their mixers, microphones, and other products, but have never used their speakers.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Marshall
You want to avoid the active monitors like the plague. Behringer is a hit or miss company. Either they have a great product or a lousy one.

http://www.linaeum.com/productinfo/other/behringer_2030P/fr_waterfall_detail_offaxis_1M.gif
is the waterfall graph Wmax measured of them. He's a speaker mad scientist. He's the type that builds with concrete and oak.

You can see from the graph the off-axis response is lacking. Still the waterfall is insanely good for 130 dollar a pair speaker. I've not seen anything close to that on any other speaker in the price range. I realize folks around here aren't familiar with them, but from a speaker builder's viewpoint they are the best value at the price.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170meas.html

Is the best home theater speaker pair I've seen under 300 measurement wise. You can see how close the behringer is.

This is the waterfall measurement of the B&W 802D gotten from stereophile. This is best commercial speaker I'm aware of.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I generally don't have an issue with active monitors: but cannot say I've personal experience with the 2030A.

I second the recommendation that the Behringer 2030p is the best speaker available anywhere near its price range. I've heard that the 2031p is not nearly as good and believe this statement.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, I'm leaning towards trying to find an active speaker (simplicity's sake) for my office setup (5 identical for surround is my eventual goal). Mostly music/movie listening, but some mixing as well.

What is it about the active Behringers that should be avoided like the plague? Are the built in amps unreliable or inaccurate? What if the passive 2030 were paired with a Behringer A500 amp?

I'm looking at the KRK RockitG2 and M-Audio BX5a Deluxe as well. Any other budget active monitor suggestions (<$400/Pair)?

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heard that the 2031p is not nearly as good and believe this statement.
I've heard that as well, that the 2031 has better lowend extension, but sacrifices accuracy across the spectrum for it. I have a sub that I will use for the low-end.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
The Active Speakers that I wish were still made were Paradigms. They used to make an Active 20 and a Active 40. These were based on the Studio 20 and Studio 40. These Speakers have achieved cult like status with many pairs passing hands for more than they originally retailed for.

I have not listened to the active Behringer Model. Most of the Active Monitors I have listened to are fairly expensive by HT standards. One of my best friends uses Focal Professional SM-11's and Solo 6 Be's and they almost made me sell my Martin Logan rig. Then again the SM-11 go for 14 thousand Dollars. The Solo 6 Be's are actually nicely priced at 3000 a pair.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hello,
The Active Speakers that I wish were still made were Paradigms. They used to make an Active 20 and a Active 40. These were based on the Studio 20 and Studio 40. These Speakers have achieved cult like status with many pairs passing hands for more than they originally retailed for.
You could by a pair of amps and cut a hole in a passive 20 and attach the thing.

, you could program an active crossover and dual amp if you can find a source for one (I know they are out there). That should do a lot of good for the sound. While you are in there: add more bracing.

You are out of luck on a 40v5: I believe they stopped making them.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Jerry, for sure you could go the DIY route, but the original versions sounded amazing. I owned 20's and 40's that I should have held on to. This was the Version 2 of Paradigm's Studio Reference Speakers circa 2001. They have not made Active Speakers since and they really were special.

I am not denying that someone cannot make their own quasi version, but Paradigm really did something magical with the Active 20 and 40.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, Behringers.

I've been scouring the web, and found a few mentions of blown fuses, the occasional non-working amp, but nothing that sounds chronic. If it's reliability, and not performance that is the issue, I may take my chances...though...

I've got a really good price on the KRKs lined up, so I'm torn between those and the passive 2030s with an A500. Oh well, I'm still a few months away from really needing them, so I'll sit tight for now, and let you all know what I end up with when the time comes.

Thanks,
Marshall

·
Registered
27 Posts
i dont have any experiance with the speakers you are looking at but just to give you some support i run 3 - jbl lsr6332 across the front of my set up that replaced some dynaudios . good luck

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
i dont have any experiance with the speakers you are looking at but just to give you some support i run 3 - jbl lsr6332 across the front of my set up that replaced some dynaudios . good luck
Hello,
Especially with the Dynaudio's, you are talking about Monitors which cost a great deal more than the Behringers. That being said, JBL makes some fantastic Studio Monitors.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I know that they cost a little bit more than the Behringers, but I've heard nothing but praise for the Mackie Active monitors like the 624 and, even more, the 824.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
In truth, many in Pro Audio are not huge fans of Behringer. I am talking more about Studio Owners and the like. Many of them are turned off by the fact that Behringer has been sued multiple times for Copyright Infringement for cloning designs and building them with less expensive components in China.

That is not to say they do not offer amazing value. Nor does it mean they do not offer excellent performance because they often do. The price/performance ratio is off the charts with their offerings.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, behringer's cloning is pretty blatant, especially with the guitar effects pedals. However, as a consumer, I can't argue with their price/performance ratio. Maybe I should be more principled in supporting the RD of companies like Mackie, Boss, and others, but I can't afford to.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just an update, I got a killer deal on the 2031a that I couldn't pass up, despite reservations listed in this thread. After the dust settles (we're finally closing on a house next week, and I need to restart a podcast), I may attempt some of the mods for the 203p listed in this thread:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-speakers/28117-wmaxs-behringer-2030p-mod-list.html

I'll post my initial impressions after I get the 2031a setup.
I do not think you will be disapointed, i have been listening to mine in a bed room computer system for close on 2 years and i really enjoy them :T

Im building some stands for them at the moment to to get that tweeter up at ear level.

Im very interested to hear your thought on them :)

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They look great, planning a paint or lacquer finish? I'm not sure if this is already in the works, but I'd plan on cutting a rubber mat to decoupled them and kill any potential vibrations between the speakers and the stands. Mouse pads work pretty well, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Eugovector,

I have no less than 10 B2031A's and I've had them for many years. I have only had one problem and it was a defective amp on one speaker, but it did not work when I received it. It wasn't like it just quit one day. Otherwise they've been flawless. I prefer them to the passive version's personally. They are an incredible value IMHO passive or active.

Also in the first post of this thread it was noted that the off axis response is not that great and i beg to differ. The measurement posted shows what looks to be very good performance at up to 90deg off axis due to the waveguide. It does degrade significantly from there, but you have to ask yourself if you plan on listening to these from that far off. Most people don't.

Anyway. My 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts