·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Eugovector,

I have no less than 10 B2031A's and I've had them for many years. I have only had one problem and it was a defective amp on one speaker, but it did not work when I received it. It wasn't like it just quit one day. Otherwise they've been flawless. I prefer them to the passive version's personally. They are an incredible value IMHO passive or active.

Also in the first post of this thread it was noted that the off axis response is not that great and i beg to differ. The measurement posted shows what looks to be very good performance at up to 90deg off axis due to the waveguide. It does degrade significantly from there, but you have to ask yourself if you plan on listening to these from that far off. Most people don't.

Anyway. My 2 cents.
yeah they certainly do have good off-axis response.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Thanks for the reply, they're supposed to be here on Monday, and though I won't have a chance to open them for another few weeks (moving day next week), I'm excited to give them a listen.

I'm also definitely going to try out the $20 mods listed here: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-speakers/28117-wmaxs-behringer-2030p-mod-list.html

Now I just need to find someone to sell me a single sheet of OC 705.
You can use rockwool as well.

http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--Roxul-Rockboard-60-Case-of-6--RB60.html will do the trick.

http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--Roxul-Rockboard-60--RB60-S.html single pieces.

Do use gloves. It's not fiber, but it's still not fun to get all over your hands.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Rumor has it there's an SPI in Portland, but I haven't visited yet. I'll probably be hitting them up for 12 pieces of 703 for some acoustic panels or bass traps once I need a new project, and while I doubt they'll want to sell me a single piece of 705 or equiv, it can't hurt to ask. Maybe they'll have some broken or damaged boards.

And yes, I'll definitely do gloves and mask while cutting, and probably wrap the pieces in polyfill to keep the fibers from coming out the ports.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Did they arrive?

Im currently trying to decide between 2031p on some nice stands for the living room or Dali Concept 6's. Interested to hear opinions on the choice between the two :)

On and eugovector im planning a simple matt black finish for the stands, if i get the 2031P over the concept 6's then ill be building some 600mm high versions. A photo of how im currently using the 2031A's in my bedroom computer system.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
They are supposed to arrive today, but they are getting shipped to my Mother-in-laws while we move. Probably won't get to them for another few weeks, unfortunately. More pressing matters at hand.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Any comments would be appreciated from those who have heard/owned both the active and passive. Which is the better sounding and why? Which plays better loud, assuming a decent amp for the passive?
Price locally is $A250/pr and $A439/pr passive and active respectively from a store just near work.

Reason I'm asking is I've been playing with some prototypes that will become my 4 surrounds and I think with the HE JBL 10" mid, CDs + WGs, they're overkill with the modest room dimensions and neighbour respecting levels I can use (typically no more than about -10 to 15dB). I can recycle them into later projects.

A quick test with my old KEF K140 sitting on the JBL2225 6th order ported box with the same 300Hz active xover cleaned them up a lot and sounded very good at reasonable levels. Yesterday my thoughts were drifting towards some B&C 6MD38 and SB29 tweeters but the B's might be a more cost effective solution.

Sides are about 1.5m and rears 2.5m and I've tried dipoles and omnis in my previous place (slightly bigger room) and didn't like them as much as monopoles.

I have enough amps and DCX's on hand to triamp everything and drive a wodge of subs already.

Sorry for rambling, but I have a monstrous migraine and it shuffles thoughts a bit.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I personally think that the active's sound a little better. It's something in the upper midrange around the crossover point most likely, but that could just be my imagination. With a stout amp (not a reciever) the passives should be able to go a little louder, but I'm not sure how much more power you'd really want the drivers to absorb.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Rumor has it there's an SPI in Portland, but I haven't visited yet. I'll probably be hitting them up for 12 pieces of 703 for some acoustic panels or bass traps once I need a new project, and while I doubt they'll want to sell me a single piece of 705 or equiv, it can't hurt to ask. Maybe they'll have some broken or damaged boards.

And yes, I'll definitely do gloves and mask while cutting, and probably wrap the pieces in polyfill to keep the fibers from coming out the ports.
703 would work fine.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I thought it might, has to be better than what they typically use.

B2031As delivered yesterday and sitting in the mother-in-laws garage 1.5 hours north. Moving day is this weekend, so I'm sure it will be a couple weeks before I even get them, and several months before I start on mods, but it will be fun when I get around to them. Thanks for your help, and I'll be sure to post a video of the process as well as my before/after opinions (need to see if I can get up to speed with some objective testing before then).

Anyone who is in the Salem, OR area and wants some first hand experience with them, just let me know.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Any comments would be appreciated from those who have heard/owned both the active and passive. Which is the better sounding and why? Which plays better loud, assuming a decent amp for the passive?
I'd base the decision on something else. If you drive these speakers with a really good amp . I don't think it will matter too much. Do add dampening.

http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/images/panelvibes.gif

Blue is what a properly damped speaker looks like Red is what an undamped one looks like.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Here are some more photos, i know the stands are not painted but i should get a chance this weekend. Finsih will just be a flat black.

Also A9X, i have a pair of 2030p's and 2031p's on order so i will be able to compair the 6 and 8 passive versions with the 8 active pair that i currently have, they are on order and not due for a few weeks but as soon as i get the chance i will compair the 3 and post my findings for you :T

·
Registered
790 Posts
Also A9X, i have a pair of 2030p's and 2031p's on order so i will be able to compair the 6 and 8 passive versions with the 8 active pair that i currently have, they are on order and not due for a few weeks but as soon as i get the chance i will compair the 3 and post my findings for you :T
Thanks, I'll look forward to it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ha ha Ricci, no quite

The 6 Pair are for a friends 21st Bday, i thought they would make a nice gift for him and a real upgrade from an all in one plastic hifi system.

The 8 passives are for my living room, did not want to spend much money so i decided to take a chance, either way ill post my results as soon as i have the chance to listen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi

First post here. I've been out of the game for a while and had to sell off some audio equipment a few years ago to help pay off my debts, but I'm a bit more solvent now and looking to get some decent equipment again.

I've been looking at the KRK Rokit Powered 5 G2s (£250/pair) for home studio monitors and would be interested to know how people think they would compare to:

1) a pair of B2030Ps with a Cambridge Audio A1 V3 amp £190
2) a pair of B2030Ps with a SONY STRDH500 receiver £250
3) a pair of B2030As £260
4) a pair of B2031As £274

Cheers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I should've included a pair of B2031Ps with either of the amps in 1) or 2) in that list for completeness.

Although, having done some more reading it seems these speakers aren't really flat/accurate enough for monitoring purposes and I might get a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 passives instead.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ok time to post some quick impressions on the B2031A's against the B2030P's.

I have not had time to compair the 2030P's with the 2031P's but i will get around to some more detailed comparisions when i have built some decent stands.

First thing to note is they are very different speakers in terms of size and sound. (the B2030P and B2031A)

The 2030's have a 0.75 tweeter in a shallow wave guide, the 2031's have a larger 1 tweeter in a much larger and deeper wave guide. There is also a considerable difference in the physical size of the speakers. (Ill post up some detailed photos some time this week)

I have only compaired the passive 6's with the active 8's but the sound is very different. The passive 6's standout if the midrange when compaired with the larger 8's. The main difference being subtle details in acoustic recording which jumped out as a big point of difference. For example the slides of a guitar, there were times with the 6's where you could hear the finer details of different slides, while with the 8's a slide was just a slide at times. A/Bing between the two on a chapman stick album i have this did jump right out.

Now the largest point of difference is in the bass. I was not prepaired for how poor the bottom end on the B2030P really is, in my room there was simply no output bellow 100Hz. Now to be honest my room is fairly large and the speakers are 1 meter out from the back wall and 1 meter in from the sides so there is little boundry gain to be had. The B2031A's have no problem in the same position, even without the sub running they were musical and provided good output even on tracks with considerable low frequency information (such as Massive Attack Unfinished Sympathy). The B2030P's however were really lacking from 100hz down, even playing piano pieces there was a real lack of weight, very thin sounding. The B2031A's however did a much more convincing job with lower notes on a piano having more weight.

So i know what your all thinking which is duh you need a sub for the B2030P's, so i had a play with a few different subwoofer that i have around the place including the Behringer active studio sub (which is a truely shocking subwoofer) as well as some different DIY subwoofers. Maybe its just my ears but i could not get a sub to play cleanly high enough to take over from the monitors, with the B2030P's there was a gap so to speak from sub crossover (70ish Hz) up to about 100hz where the monitors start to get going. This could be a reflection of my subwoofers but it was still a disapointment never the less. Biggest shortcoming was faster kickdrum, i found it really hard to get the snap so to speak with the 2030P's and a subwoofer. The B2031A's crossovered to a sub at 60hz on the other hand was sounding great, not as much midrange detail or clarity but over all a much more rewarding and enjoyable sound.

I think its important to note that following this i decided to do some listening on a desk nearfield and the B2030P's performed much better, they just seemed to get lost in my living room system.

Interestingly i could not notice any real difference between the 1 and 0.75 tweeter.

Ill post much more detailed impressions when i play properly with the 2031P's but between the 2030P's and 2031A's the clear winner for me was the larger version, maybe not as clean in the mids but a warmer sound that sounded to my ears a little more balanced.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I should've included a pair of B2031Ps with either of the amps in 1) or 2) in that list for completeness.

Although, having done some more reading it seems these speakers aren't really flat/accurate enough for monitoring purposes and I might get a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 passives instead.
Funny you should say that but the response graph for the 2030P is ruller flat from 120Hz up to 20hz when on axis, id be very supprised if the Wharfedales were even close to the Behringers frequency response. Soundonsound mag reviewed the Behringers reasonalbe favourably. i would say that they are flat/accurate enough for monitoring purposes. Maybe not if your Hans Zimmer but its all relative...

For a desktop system where you get some gain from the desk the B2030P's are unbeatable for the money, if your more into hiphop or electronic music the larger B2031's are a smarter buy in my opinion. I have not listened to the B2031P's yet but if they perform like the active version i think they are a great speaker and you certainly get a lot for your money.

21 - 40 of 187 Posts