Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yes indeed. Thanks to REW, Cross-Spectrum Labs, EMU, my measurement rig and my MacBook.

That's why I gave the link to Gedlee. Dr. Geddes also measured a small Behringer 2 way and they graphs look close to identical. So the odds of my measurements being off are very low.

IOW, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these to anyone.

The measurements in the beginning of this thread looked like they had room reflections not gated out. After seeing what Dr. Geddes measured, I had to do some myself. His statement about these speakers is also very telling. When he's impressed, there is good reason. I believe he measured the active versions, but I thought at first he said passive so I can't be sure. Either way, I'd bet they are great speakers.

Dan

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I've been recommending these for years. A lot of people scoff at the price and the brand name or have some subjective comments to make about some deleterious defect in their sound compared to some other more expensive models, but the fact is the measurements speak for themselves. They are about as neutral as it gets in this price range. I just wish they had a slightly larger more powerful model with about 10db more headroom.

·
Registered
502 Posts
It should be anyway. Reading some of the subjective reviews of the speaker are all over the map. The data looks good. Some people describe muddy bass, but that's dominated by the room and placement. Other people have described a bright sound with tight bass. The dispersion is fairly wide on these and very early reflections could well be the problem here. Also, a prior speaker's colorations which a person has become accustomed to will influence their subjective review. The data looks good--well excellent actually and from different sources and data from a different speaker of either the same or a very similar model. The same drivers anyway. IOW, it looks hard to go wrong with these unless you need extreme output. Even then, many subjective reviews brag about how loud these things are capable of playing--"they can do house parties w/o failure". I certainly didn't want to test max output prior to destruction, but they play loud enough for me to enjoy. I doubt they could do house parties like a speaker designed for the purpose. Of course even "house party" can mean different things to different people.

They get my :T for my purpose and they should reasonably be a budget favorite.

Edit: Ricci posted while I was typing. I just wanted to add that I totally agree with you.

Dan

·
Registered
502 Posts
BTW, in the Impulse graphs, you'll see the height of the other speaker cause the first reflection to come later than in the Behringer one. I windowed both the same as to keep the comparison more similar.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Does anyone know if it's possible to take the baffle section of the 2030 off so it could be re-mounted in another enclosure without cutting?

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I had assumed that's how people were getting into the enclosure to do the mods, but I haven't tried taking a hex-wrench to mine yet. (edit: make that a philips, according to the pics posted at behringer.com)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Thanks Eugo. Those mods are interesting. I have to wonder if Behringer hasn't addressed these issues already. I really didn't see any issues in the measurements that could be ascribed to the faults those mods would fix. I also listened to the speaker at some pretty high volumes for a few hours. Nothing I could hear that sounded off.

Guess I wouldn't know until I tried or someone else does with pictures and graphs.

Dan

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I'm sure, like a lot of tweaks, the effort won't doesn't exactly create an equal improvement, but more like every little bit counts, and when you have so little invested in the monitors, and the mods themselves are so inexpensive, it can't hurt.

I think I'm going to try modding one of mine at a time, then listening to both the modded/unmodded in a single blind. Or maybe I'll just sit back and enjoy them as they are.

·
Registered
502 Posts
It would be interesting to hear your impressions of any changes. Of course I much prefer data, but a stated audible difference would give me incentive to try and get data. I've got a pair of these on the way so I'll take a look at them ASAP. Maybe that 1k dip might indicate an underdamped box. I've seen similar things in underdamped boxes around 450-1000Hz. I've never seen it as smooth as that though, but I've also never measured pp cones before.

I'm thinking about getting an active one for a center channel.

Dan

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I also prefer data, I'm just afraid I'm not technically knowledgeable enough to collect. Which pair do you have on the way? You already have a pair of the 2031p, correct? Isn't that would you measured, or did those belong to a friend?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Does anyone know if it's possible to take the baffle section of the 2030 off so it could be re-mounted in another enclosure without cutting?
Yes it's possible, as shown here - Behringer Mod Assistance @ Audioholics forum

I believe all praise must be forwarded to WmAx, who is the originator of the said mods, he has also stated they would make very good inwall speakers because of this easy removal of the front baffle/waveguide.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The measurements were of a friends B2031P. That's the pair I have on the way. I was so shocked by the performance, I had to buy a pair just for fun. It's ridiculous to get that performance for that money. I feel like I'm robbing someone. Makes you wonder what some of the Mackie or high end whatever monitors measure like. Studio monitors may well be where it's at. I saw measurements on the high end Genelec 8260A, excellent, but not worlds away from this Behringer. Perhaps a bit better however and excellent vertical pattern as well d/t the coax MT/WG. It's a crazy cool speaker, but very expensive.

anyway, those are my thoughts,

Dan

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yes it's possible, as shown here - Behringer Mod Assistance @ Audioholics forum

I believe all praise must be forwarded to WmAx, who is the originator of the said mods, he has also stated they would make very good inwall speakers because of this easy removal of the front baffle/waveguide.
Cheers. I was thinking they would be good in my surrounds with a JBL2225 6th order ported below with an active 300Hz or so xover to relieve them of even less midbass duty. Performance everywhere else looks good and I'm at around 2-2.5m distance from them.

Saves me a pair of stereo amps (already have them and can be used elsewhere) and at $A220/pr not much more than the cost of the 6.5" pro drivers I planned to use, and no need to buy the tweeters too. I have everything else to hand and can even sell some other bits, so net cost might be around zero.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Dan,

I saw measurements of Mackie's original HR824's somewhere years back and they were very good as well. Stereophile? :scratch: I had a pair of the Mackie's but sold them to a friend when I was in a pinch. they were better than the Behri's but it wasn't a monumental difference. Small things like clarity at high volumes, a little more output, a little more bass extension, a little better constructed, etc. Other than that it was pretty close to my ears. They were better but $700 better? :dontknow:

A9x,

I drive my 2031A pair at the practice area pretty hard usually. It's a 9000cu ft space with high levels of background noise and we are usually probably 12-20ft away from them. In that type of environment a little more oomph could be used, but in a quieter setting, in a room half the size and in much closer proximity to them they are usually more than enough except for the very loudest movie dynamics.

They hit their limits first in the bass and midbass. If you throw a steep 24db 100hz or even 120hz hpf on them they open up with considerably more dynamic headroom.

·
Registered
790 Posts
A9x,

I drive my 2031A pair at the practice area pretty hard usually. It's a 9000cu ft space with high levels of background noise and we are usually probably 12-20ft away from them. In that type of environment a little more oomph could be used, but in a quieter setting, in a room half the size and in much closer proximity to them they are usually more than enough except for the very loudest movie dynamics.

They hit their limits first in the bass and midbass. If you throw a steep 24db 100hz or even 120hz hpf on them they open up with considerably more dynamic headroom.
Thanks, useful datapoint. I was looking at the 2030P so assuming a ~ 150Hz HPF maybe my LAB12 sealed in 40L or so would make a good pairing. I'll pick up a pair and try them with both as I have the drivers DCX's and amps and 2 different rough enclosures that would suit each for testing.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Thanks Gents for the input. I just paid $158 for the pair of the Behris shipped. For that money, I have no right to complain about any faults they have. Though one day I wouldn't be surprised if I had a set of those Mackies or Genelecs on the chopping block. The Genes are nearly $6,000 each! The Mackies $650 each, but active(looks like they may use the same drivers as the B2031). The B2031 Active is $180 each.

Interesting,

Dan

61 - 80 of 187 Posts