Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

141 - 160 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Personally I'd say wait for the 1031A to become available depending on what exactly your goals are. The 3031 will still have the diffraction issues of the 2030 series--the ribbon won't fix it and the 1030 just aren't big enough for HT mains.

Dan

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well, these would be used as 2ch music listening on the computer. From looking at the graphs above, diffraction doesn't seem to be too bad with the b2031 compared to the 1030, but the 1030 does have a bit more of a BBC dip, which is something I perfer.

I'm curious how they'd compare to a similar item like the KRK RP8G2? I don't know anything about KRK, but I see that name thrown around in forums when talking about Behringer monitors.

·
Registered
502 Posts
B2031P:

vs. the 1030A

There is a significant difference in diffraction and it's audible. The cotton in the ports will help it and I'd bet it could be further improved but I haven't really tried. The 4 dB difference in the depth of the spectrogram was just to keep reflections out. The wider dispersion causes the reflections to enter in the graph earlier.

Edit: the 2030 measurements I've seen look essentially the same as the 2031 above.

Just a thought.

Dan

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Dan, can you edit your post above to specify what Models the graphs are measuring? The 1030a is obvious, but what's the model above it? 2030a?

·
Registered
502 Posts
It's the 2031P. The 2030 measures the same essentially from what I've seen. It's the diffraction/reflection problem caused by the ports and the normal stuff caused by the baffle edge. the 1030 series has a sculpted baffle which greatly reduces diffraction as shown in the graphs. The 1030 also has a much wider dispersion and all the effects stated in Dr. Toole's book that comes with that--wider source, more envelopment, greater perceived clarity, etc... It's more of an audiophile sounding speaker as opposed to pro sound type of thing. The only problem I had listening to the 1030 was the fact that all types of flaws that are in recordings become more obvious. I thought my sample was broken until I was able to hear the flaws on other speakers. They were there the whole time, just nearly impossible to hear. It's a double edge sword with more detail revealing speakers. The 1030 is also limited wrt bass response and ultimate output. That's why I said wait until the 1031 comes to America. It should fix the 1030's shortcomings and still have it's advantages I hope. It may not be as good as far as advantages go d/t the larger woofer's narrower dispersion in the likely crossover region. If they can reduce the crossover frequency, it will retain the advantages. We'll just have to wait and see--or hear rather.

Dan

·
Registered
430 Posts
There is a significant difference in diffraction and it's audible.
Yeah, the off-axis isn't pretty but I was primarily concerned with the on-axis, so I wouldn't feel like I had been robbed of quality if I purchased the 2031's. However, the 1031's, from what I've seen online, should be around the same price and I won't have to worry about any diffraction issues. I'll probably just wait till I can get the 1031a's.

·
Registered
502 Posts
You won't be able to avoid the off axis response completely as you'll be putting them in a room that is echoic. It becomes the "second look" that causes the improved detail discrimination. In fact it will play heavily on what you perceive of the tonality of the speaker--See Dr. Toole's book. I do absorb my first ipsilateral reflection and it's a HUGE help with reduce the audible effects of the diffraction that still remains post modding the baffles' ports. The 1030 still sounds smoother than the modified version of the 2031. Unfortunately you will hear deeper into the recording with them--or perhaps fortunately. Seems a lot of music I like isn't particularly well recorded.

Dan

·
Registered
171 Posts
The 1030 is also limited wrt bass response and ultimate output. That's why I said wait until the 1031 comes to America. It should fix the 1030's shortcomings and still have it's advantages I hope. It may not be as good as far as advantages go d/t the larger woofer's narrower dispersion in the likely crossover region. If they can reduce the crossover frequency, it will retain the advantages. We'll just have to wait and see--or hear rather.

1031A 8" version has 113db max spl, and uses a 2.5khz crossover, 35hz - 20Khz response * $374.25

1030A 6" version has 110db max spl, and uses a 4.3khz crossover, 50hz - 20khz response * $299.00

*Current Best Price here in Australia

Enjoying this thread :T

·
Registered
502 Posts
Check out the vertical polars:

It doesn't graph like a 4.3k crossover unless there's something I'm not getting:foottap:, But those are impressive verticals! Best I've measured. Can't wait to try the 1031! The really kicked down the crossover according to their data.

I have little faith in manufacturer's specs especially if conditions are not described in detail. They tend to be optimistic.

Thanks for the info though,

Dan

·
Registered
502 Posts
Is anyone planning on buying the B1031A? I'm certainly thinking about it just based on their other designs. It never hurts to have too many great speakers around.

Dan

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
I'm a sucker for a bargain, so I'll probably pick up a set if I get a steal like I did with the 2031, but right now, I have more speakers than I know what to do with.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Is anyone planning on buying the B1031A?
I'm considering it atm.

Question, Dan - have u ran the 1030's crossed over to subs or just alone?

If so in sub-sat configuration did u see/measure more spl/dynamics in the sense they would be capable to do HT justice?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Unfortunately just alone. Sub/sat they'd probably be alright, but I'd be a little nervous when T-Rex rears his ugly head. I'd be fine in a small room or with the B1031A I'd bet. My Grandma always said "you pay a lot for a little piece of mind." I really hope they don't screw them up. I don't know why I'm nervous, the rest of their line is great. Can't imagine they are looking to change. I'm pretty sure I'll pick up a pair just to see. What if I like them better than my pricey Mackie? Then what do I do........

For better verticals: http://www.parts-express.com/cbt36/

Dan

·
Registered
430 Posts
Is anyone planning on buying the B1031A? I'm certainly thinking about it just based on their other designs. It never hurts to have too many great speakers around.

Dan
Yeah I'm thinking about it. I'm in need of a compact audio system (meaning no external amp/reciever, sub, and minimal amount of wires) that will be used primarily for on-axis nearfield listening (2ft away or so). Powered speakers are my only choice.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Eugo, I'd bet they could 'hit' it given a number of qualifiers. That's not really a typical HT goal. BBC LS3/5a or the Yammy NS10 start falling apart, sounding compressed and muddied around 90-95dBs. This design is not radically different and I wouldn't expect more than that from them. That certainly doesn't make it a bad design.

Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looneybomber, I've only been able to hear the b2031A and b3031A side by side in a shop and I preferred the b3031A. Even with the obvious diffraction issues that I expected from the design, the stereo field seemed wider with the b3031A. I ended up ordering the b3030A and stuffed the ports.
So to me, the ribbon tweeters and kevlar woofers where worth it. However, by the looks of the b1030A measurements that Dan made for us they are fine speakers indeed. I wouldn't be able to place them properly on my desk due to the rear ported design, still, it is a shame I couldn't audition them at the time, something I will surely rectify in the future.

-Ype

·
Registered
502 Posts
Thanks Ype.

The thing is, the B1031A has a lot of promise. That's why I'd wait. Who knows if they'll live up to it, but we have no reason to think they won't. The frequencies the ports are playing at, radiation is omni anyways. 50Hz is nearly 7 meters or over 22ft--many times the size of an enclosure. They may load slightly better there--slightly--but they should have a switch on the back for that. The 1030 does.

Just something to think about,

Dan

141 - 160 of 187 Posts