Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

161 - 180 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I definitely agree it's better to wait Dan. I am still curious how the B3030A would measure up to the B1030A, as well as how the B1030A sounds.

Thank you for explaining the radiation pattern of the ports. My desk is against the wall with the left speaker next to a window and the right speaker against the side of a closet, so placing the deeper and rear ported B1030A would be a bit problematic. I would have no problem cutting down the low bass a bit though, just as I did by stuffing the ports of my B3030, so I would love to try them in my room and see if I can get the bass response sounding about right.

On a final note, at the moment I have the ports of my B3030 stuffed with cotton and only a little bit of air is escaping. What would be a good material to make a more permanent, yet removable, bassport plug with?

With kind regards,

-Ype

·
Registered
502 Posts
Looneybomber, for nearfield, I can't see where the 1030 would be a bad idea. The 1031 might be even better though.

Ype,
There should be a 'bass cut' switch on the back of your speakers for placing them near the wall. In the 2031, you only loose about 1dB of bass by stuffing the ports.
I wouldn't think their would be too much difference with the 3030, but you never know until you measure. Subjectively, I did think he bass was reduced more than it graphed, but I didn't miss what I perceived in the sine sweep at all when listening to music. Don't ask me what that's about, but I think graphing ported boxes is not so simple. That's from a few ft away to reduce the amount of error in ultimate output. My ear was much closer to the box than the mic.

The little air coming out shouldn't be a problem--in fact, some might consider it an advantage with this alignment. 'Aperiodic" used to be(and still is) considered a great thing d/t its impedance smoothing.

I've been thinking about a more permanents and perhaps higher performance port stuffing, but haven't gotten too carried away with it. I'm not worried about the air leaking at all, but further diffraction reduction would be sweet. I was thinking about the open cell foam that is used for weather stripping, but essentially filling the area beside/above and a bit below the tweeter with it. If just stuffing the ports can take this:

And turn it into this:

Could filling the whole space improve it further?:ponder: I would think it would reduce output(undesired) a bit and smooth the response more, but I haven't tried yet. Next time I go to a hardware store I'll pick some up and see. I'll be mad if it is a decided improvement and could have been done a long time ago.:doh:

Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for posting the measurements again Dan. Seeing as the B3030A are the only speakers I own at the moment, I'm sure I'll find the time to mod them one way or the other. I certainly wouldn't mind sacrificing some bass and maximum SPL for a smoother response curve. Unfortunately, I cannot measure them, nor am I trained listener, so I'll wait for your graphs before I would consider doing anything more permanent.

Keep up the great work,

-Ype

·
Registered
430 Posts
The audio card yes. The calibrating of the mic, not for a while. I guess I could measure a speaker of who's frequency response I already know and come up with rudimentary values of my own, but I figured why go through the trouble?

I presume you want me to get some measurements of whatever speakers I buy? I'm all for it, but I'm not going to be home till July, hence the reason I need some good, but not super expensive monitors to get me by.

·
Registered
502 Posts
That's exactly what I was hoping for. I wish we could build an archive of loudspeaker polar responses. That would give people a nice database from which to make decisions.

Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Dan, has anyone in this thread ordered them yet?
I am still amazed by the price/performace of my B3030A and don't have room for bigger monitor speakers at the moment, so I won't be getting them.

-Ype

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I was thinking about a pair of either the 2030p's or the 31p's for front heights. Anyone think one would be better then the other or is it a wash. Plus why is the 31 cheaper then the older 30?

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
The b2030p is not "older", it's smaller, lighter with a smaller driver, reduced frequency range at the low-end, and 8ohm resistance. Not sure about max output, but the 2030 would be the better choice for most .1 HT systems. Too bad they aren't $70.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was wondering if anyone could say how the Diamond 9.1s compare to these? I can recall where now, but I do remember reading somewhere that people found the 9.1s quite flat and thus suitable to be used as reference monitors, but I'd be interested to know if anyone has any thoughts/experience on that. The 9.1s are around £99 and the best I could probably find the 2031Ps for is around £150 (or maybe even £170).

·
Registered
4 Posts
After reading all the positive reports about the 2031p speakers I have decided to buy them .I want to use them in a 5.1 configuration.
Can I use a pioneer vsx 521 k av receiver with these speakers?:help:

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
After reading all the positive reports about the 2031p speakers I have decided to buy them .I want to use them in a 5.1 configuration.
Can I use a pioneer vsx 521 k av receiver with these speakers?:help:
Hello,
Welcome to HTS. Unfortunately, you cannot use them as your AVR lacks Preamp Outputs. Preamp Outputs appear on the VSX-1121 and models upmarket of it. You can use the non Active Behringers, but I am not sure the 521 has enough power to drive them to their full potential.
Cheers,
JJ

161 - 180 of 187 Posts