Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use to own some CW stuff when I was just a young fello .... and well they always seemed to be very powerfull in sound and I never had any problems with them ... so ...

The new XLS series ... anyone here use them here? Like them?

My system will be mostly based for loud music and that "WoW" bass factor more then watching movies ..

I was looking at:

2 x XLS215's
2 x XLS-28's
1 x XLS-6C

Thoughts? Suggestions? Other brands to consider?

:bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Let us know your budget, then we can make recommendations. Dennis

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Personally I think you can find much better quality speakers for the price even if they dont have the look of CV they will sound better.

G

·
0 Posts
How much power are you going to actually have? Are you looking for the highest possible SPLs? It's been awhile since I've heard CV and I remember they can jam, but I didn't think they sounded all that great.

If you want PA sounding levels at home, then maybe just look at PA gear and active crossovers. With the way SV sounds, I suspect they skimp on the crossover.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have set aside around $3 - $4k for speakers ... im currently having others in this forum help me choose AVR / AMP's.

I just bought a home, and have $10k total put aside for this room, so I want to spend it wisely and not have to go over budget.

G

·
0 Posts
2.0, 2.1,5.1,7.1?

Is high fidelity or SPL more important to you? If your just looking for stereo, you might be able to get something from Danley Sound Labs.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
With that budget you can definatly do better then the CV's if you are looking to shack the neighbors house :hsd:.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I have set aside around $3 - $4k for speakers ....
Are you planning to add a sub??? ...this speakers have a better frequency response (28Hz-20KHz) look here

I have a lower end JBL (Stadium model) and I'm happy... I read that those who compared Stadium vs L890, said that the 890 is a lot better :dontknow:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With that budget you can definatly do better then the CV's if you are looking to shack the neighbors house :hsd:.
lol, as sad as it sounds, my main aim is to make as much bass and noise as possible ... my land is 125 acres and as mentioned above I am trying to "shack" the neighbors houses .... only problem is my nearest neibour is around 1/2 mile away lol.

Are you planning to add a sub??? ...this speakers have a better frequency response (28Hz-20KHz) look here

I have a lower end JBL (Stadium model) and I'm happy... I read that those who compared Stadium vs L890, said that the 890 is a lot better
Im not sure if the XLS-215's are considerd "subs" or not, but there are 2 x 15" in each tower (4 x 15" subwoofers?) ... I was hoping these may produce the bass I was looking for?

2.0, 2.1,5.1,7.1?

Is high fidelity or SPL more important to you? If your just looking for stereo, you might be able to get something from Danley Sound Labs.
Im not sure how many channels I want / need? Again the main reason for the system is to pound music hard .... if I can also have "ok" sound for movies that would be nice too.

I guess im after SPL, I just want to be able to have rave party's on my property that will pound through the quite valley ....

Im googling Danely Sound Labs right now ...

With all this being said ... I also don't want my room to look like it has "rock concert" style speakers with big mesh covers and boxes that can be kicked off stages ... i want loud sound but also want it to look neat and professional ... if that makes sense?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Kind of tough to shake the nieghbors house from a half mile away but if it is 90% for music then a 2.1 system would fit the bill. CV's cx15 should be fine with a nice powerfull amp that would max out the speakers wattage or even a bit more. They would be fine for music because I believe they go down to around 35hz which for music would be fine. http://www.google.com/products/cata...log_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CD0Q8wIwAQ Now it's another story if you want to watch mostly movies. A sub could be added but I really don't think it would make a huge difference to your nieghbor a half mile away...:D

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just noticed you said no concert like speakers so this would be more of what your looking for I think...http://www.cerwinvega.com/home-audio/floorstanding-speakers/xls-215.html Also you could look at JTR or Danley as you mentioned but you would eat up your budget pretty fast.
Yes the XLS-215's are 2 of the speakers I originally wanted ... they dont look so "concerty" with the covers on them, and this would leave me with 4 x 15" subs ...

Ive checked out the Danley gear, but havnt yet checked out the JTR ... im goign to check them out now.

What ive found also (which I really like) is the SVS PC13 Ultra's and the A7-900 from ED ... for some reason .... I like the look of the cylinder subs, i see alot of people dont .. but I think they will sit in corners well and match the modern look im going for ... plus it looks like it would be a great beer stand! (whilst not operating?) lol

Ive never been able to keep cash in my pocket so long, its near killing me ... but I just got to do more research first ..

thanx again everyone for all the input, its kept me reading for hours every night.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Your lucky, i wish my neighbors were that far then johnny law wouldn't be knockin at the door once a month.:foottap:.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Give the XLS215's enough power and they'll do what you want. They are hard to beat for the price.

If they state that peak power for the XLS-215's is 500 watts ... is this the maximum that should be applied? Or are you able to hit them with a little more?

Also, when using an external AMP, do you loose the AVR output power? I mean say if the AVR has 140w per channel, and you add a 200 watt external amp, would this equal 340 watt per channel total? Or does that power not get used when using an external amp?

wohha did that even make any sense that last part? lol

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
500 watts is lots for these speakers and staying within the manufacturers rated power means years of trouble free performance.

Also, when using an external AMP, do you loose the AVR output power?
Yes. The AVR needs to have pre out jacks to feed the external amp.

·
Registered
175 Posts
For bass I think your best bet would be to build a horn, such as one of the Danley tapped horn kits.. That will give you massive bass to well below 20 hertz with almost no power needed- Horns are definitely your best bet for volume, and in the case of these tapped horns, sound quality will also potentially improve because the woofers won't have to play at distortion levels to make some boom.

To keep up with the sub(s), I would recommend some Klipsch Reference towers (you can still get the RF-83s I believe, for something like $1,300/pair). While they do sound better for theater than for music, they are quite adept at both, and you certainly won't be able to outdo them with the bass unless you're wearing ear protection; I know first-hand that cranking them to the point of distortion is literally a painful experience that no one is crazy enough to try and do for daily listening :whistling:

In short, HORNS. They are what you want! Horn subs will play deeper and louder with less power, and horn tweeters will make your ears bleed before distorting :T

·
Registered
483 Posts
Let me add a different viewpoint. The real question is, do you want good sound or just loud sound. If you just want it loud any CV or horn speaker will give you that. If you want good sound then you should look elsewhere. There are any number of speakers that will play loud without the boomy bass of CV's or the in your face cupped hands coloration of most horns.
You should get out, visit some stores and actually listen to some "good" speakers. If you still like CV's or horns so be it. However the chances are very high that you may like something else. Speakers are the most personal and variable part of any system. What I like you may hate and vice-versa. This applies to everyone. My advice regarding speakers is "Never buy any speaker unless you've heard it".

FWIW:
CV speakers have never sounded good to me. I haven't heard the new CV's but have heard good things about them. What I've heard suggests they sound nothing like traditional CV's. As for horns, the only ones I've ever heard that sound good to me are Avant Garde Trio's. They are the only horns I've ever heard that don't have a cupped hands coloration.

Tweeters that can make your ears bleed belong in PA systems not home stereo/AV gear. Compare the treble in any PA speaker that has piezoelectric tweeters and any decent dome tweeter. Even horn tweeters sound better than piezoelectric. With that said, my opinion means as much or little as anyone else.

Your ears are the ones you have to please. You can't do that unless you make an informed decision. An informed decision is not the result of checking things on the internet. It's the result of actually listening to a variety of speakers.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts