Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just about to do this so that I could put it on my ipod so that I could RTA test some secondary systems (ie car and 2nd TV) but then was like....wait a minute LOL.

Since I know some quality is lost, would some freq maybe be attenuated? I know a pink PN is flat all the way across, would there be a dip somewhere, maybe like upper mids or lower highs (kinda guessing)?

Is a pink PN, or any other "noise" useless in .mp3 format?

THANKS!!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Pink noise can very easily be converted to mp3 just use a high bitrate 256kbs is plenty.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:T:T

That's kinda funny to me though...my Pioneer DEH7000 car deck has a "sound retriever" function that's supposed to lightly boost certain freq for when playing mp3's. I dont really use it (I just eq it) but its supposed to compensate for the freq lost in mp3's. Of course the manual doesn't say which freq or by how much...actually running some REW tests with/without it should tell me LOL.

THANKS!!!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
mp3's are just fine as ling as you dont compress the file to much, most people use very low quality bitrates if you use 60% or better VBR mp3s you cant still maintain a reasonable file size and have great quality.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
To test the effect of the compression play back the file and connect the line out of the playback device to the soundcard input and see how it looks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To test the effect of the compression play back the file and connect the line out of the playback device to the soundcard input and see how it looks.
True true....thanks :T

1 - 6 of 6 Posts