Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. My story of what brought me to here is too long and probably not that interesting to you all. Short version is I have a very unique space with small space limitations. For now and for my first starter project this is what I was thinking. I have an old set of in/outdoor speakers. They say Memorex, but are the same as many other cheap in/outs i.e KLH and Radio Shack. Heavy black metal enclosures, 4" woofer and paper dome tweeter.
They happen to fit in my spot, though if I were to custom build (maybe in the future) I could go about an inch wider and a few inches taller. And in my opinion they sound better than the HSU Ventrilloquist setup I had setup just prior. That little sub was quite impressive, but not so thrilled with the rest. So I am thinking of just throwing in some polyfill stuffing, and getting new drivers to see what a difference I could make. There is a crossover inside of them, but I assume it is not of the best quality. I will probably leave it alone at first to see if drivers alone can make much of a difference.
What do you guys think? Worth my time, effort and a few bucks? This site is great and am loving all of the gained knowledge and info. Looking forward to getting into a very interesting and hopefully long term hobby.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Putting in new drivers at random probably won't do much for you other then cost you money. If you like the sound of them keep them as-is. If not, figure out what volume you have at your disposal and start working on a design from scratch. Honestly in the long run it is easier to start with a blank page.

Also look at some other small speaker designs. Zaph's single driver ones are very popular. There are others as well.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wondered that as well, but figured better quality drivers would make a marked improvement. I don't necessarily think they sound that good, just better than the HSU system.
Yeah I looked at some of Zaph's projects a few days ago. Very interesting site with some great budget projects. The 4" 2 way bargain mini he has is right up my alley I think. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I wondered that as well, but figured better quality drivers would make a marked improvement.
The problem is that even if you use a really nice driver it may not be right for the existing enclosure and/or it may be more or less sensitive then the original (and therefore not match with the tweeter). Also it can do odd things with the crossover so you might get a big dip or spike around the x-over region.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts