Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Outlaw audio released a new low cost 7.1 AV Preamp.

Here is a review:

http://hometheaterreview.com/outlaw-audio-model-975-71-av-surround-sound-processor-reviewed/

I tend to agree that there is a lot of redundancy with features. e.g. I have Netflix on 5 different devices. But I am more likely to use the one that is easiest to access.

Also is the lack of Auto EQ worth the cost savings. Not accounting for convenience, is the old fashioned manual equalization still better then even higher end auto equalization such Audissey XT 32 or Trinnov?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
While I like Emotiva's Power Amplifiers, I do think the SSP's justifications read like a PR Release. After using at least Audyssey MultEQ for 5 years and XT32/SubEQ HT for a year and a half, I think Audyssey is well worth it.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
226 Posts
I would go so far as to say that modern proven room correction offerings like XT or XT32 are no longer an option but a requirement for HT use. This may be fine for two channel listening but it is a pre-pro which to me means HT is its primary function. Describing the target market for a product like this as it being for the "purist" is a poor attempt at an excuse to give it a free pass for not incorporating it.

I have no idea what licensing Audyssey for this pre-pro would add to the cost but even if the retail cost of this unit doubles it would still be competitive in the pre-pro space. Perhaps it is not the licensing cost but technical limitations of the platform. Either way I have been following Outlaw's progress in the pre-pro arena and this product is a big disappointment from my perspective.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I pretty much agree. I could maybe see manual equalization being used in a dedicated theater room still, if the user is knowledgeable enough to do it right. But in any other situation auto room correction is a must. It would be an interesting article/experiment to see if someone could produce the same kind of sound quality by doing a manual setup and compare it with what XT32 would do, using the same exact equipment and room. in a well controlled environment as a dedicated theater. It would be also be interesting to see how much more time it would take to do it manually also. I know this was done with earlier room correction software but I wonder how far its come now.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would be in a whole heap of trouble if I didn't have audyssey in my room....but on the other hand I totally get the whole bare bones idea. That is a real catch 22 for manufacturers...truthfully I bought my Avr cause it was a more bare bones offering at a lower price that had all the features I need.

Luckily it has audyssey.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I have used my Audessy only to have switched to using my own ears for setting up. Not sure maybe call me old school or maybe my rooms have just worked out for me that I don't need automatic correcting. :dontknow:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the Integra DHC80.3 and while XT32 is good for movies I turn Audyssey off for music. I know there is a lot of support for XT32 but there is also a lot of folks like me that are not a big fan for music. Perhaps it depends on the room.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts