Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have success using the thrifty white board as a painting substrate?

I like this for two primary reasons:

1) cheap, cheap, cheap compared to a piece of Sintra or Laminate that cost around $50-60 if you could find a local distributor.

2) easily accessible. get it from a home depot. i assume most folks would have a home depot or lowes around their corners.

Reason #1 is the key driver, as being someone new to painted screen I like to try a few things out and it just make a lot more sense (affordability). My concern is, it's too thin. Does it need a back frame for support? Is it going to warp?

If you had used this material, success or fail, I like to hear your feedback. Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Whiteboard works ok however its a bit too glossy and you will have some hot-spotting.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Ok but then would it not be simpler to just to buy a sheet of MDF?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Heavier yes but I dont think cheaper.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Anyone have success using the thrifty white board as a painting substrate?

I like this for two primary reasons:

1) cheap, cheap, cheap compared to a piece of Sintra or Laminate that cost around $50-60 if you could find a local distributor.

2) easily accessible. get it from a home depot. i assume most folks would have a home depot or lowes around their corners.

Reason #1 is the key driver, as being someone new to painted screen I like to try a few things out and it just make a lot more sense (affordability). My concern is, it's too thin. Does it need a back frame for support? Is it going to warp?

If you had used this material, success or fail, I like to hear your feedback. Thanks
TWB is melamine coated hardboard. I use tempered hardboard for making all my test screens and it DOES warp unless steps are taken to prevent it. For test panels this isn't so big a deal.

TWB would make a good inexpensive substrate for a screen, but the BACK (uncoated hardboard) should be primed and painted, NOT THE FRONT. If you paint over melamine the paint can easily be scratched off (learned that when I made my first screen using Silver Fire and instructions from AVS :doh:).

If the rear of the TWB is primed and painted then both sides of the sheet will have a covering to retard moisture transfer and thus warping. As you noticed, the TWB is only about 1/8" thick and needs some type of frame to support it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks. i do plan to use a frame made with 1x4 poplar to support it.

the reason TWB looks interesting is that it's cheap. and being very new to DIY paint screen, i know i have a very high possibility of screwing up along the way. so if i screwed up, and throw i can throw it away and buy another board for $12. it's very wallet friendly. versus if i screwed up on the Sintra, that's a $50-$60 dent.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
thanks. i do plan to use a frame made with 1x4 poplar to support it.

the reason TWB looks interesting is that it's cheap. and being very new to DIY paint screen, i know i have a very high possibility of screwing up along the way. so if i screwed up, and throw i can throw it away and buy another board for $12. it's very wallet friendly. versus if i screwed up on the Sintra, that's a $50-$60 dent.
The primary reasons to use Sintra over hardboard is that the Sintra doesn't have to be primed before painting and the 6 MM version doesn't need a frame. As long as your screen size can be made from a 4x8 foot sheet tempered hardboard or TWB makes an excellent substrate when framed.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmm...now that's new.

cost of prime (kilz2) $16
cost of frame $20-30
cost of twb $12

i am looking at about $50-$60 total cost if i use twb. i guess cost wise, it's break even.

i think it's a no brainer then. sintra for around $50, much lighter, less work.

question: can i screw my wood trim to the sintra?

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
hmm...now that's new.

cost of prime (kilz2) $16
cost of frame $20-30
cost of twb $12

i am looking at about $50-$60 total cost if i use twb. i guess cost wise, it's break even.

i think it's a no brainer then. sintra for around $50, much lighter, less work.

question: can i screw my wood trim to the sintra?
I've never worked with Sintra and only have a small piece to judge such things by, but I would say yes you could screw your trim directly to the 6 MM Sintra. I wouldn't consider it "weight bearing" though as in screwing the trim to the Sintra and then the trim to the wall letting the screws take the full weight of the Sintra panel; but as I said, I've never worked with Sintra.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts