Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm brand new to this sight and have posted a couple of times but mostly just read. I've been reading a lot about the THT Sub and it sounds like a great project. I have the space, time, and help (an entire wood shop full of cabinet makers at work if necessary) to get something like this done but I'm a total novice when it comes to anything tbat bas to do with speakers, home theaters, etc. I'm definitely going to learn because I find it fascinating but up until now I've always been a plug and play kind of guy.

So, my question is this. With no prior technical knowledge dealing with speakers and subwoofers, is this something I should attempt or get my feet wet a little bit first? I'm not so much worried about the build as I am about the finished product. I feel like troubleshooting wise I would be clueless and not to mention I wouldn't know how or wbat to measure to make sure everytbing was working properly. Any help or advice you guys could give me would be very much appreciated. Thanks again.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I always thought that there is nothing better than a hands on experience to learn!

Just don't spend an immense fortune on your first build and move on from there.

That's exactly what I intend to do.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's kind of my mentality. I just don't want to be over my head too much. I was also looking at the Lilmike F20. Any thoughts on which one might be a little easier for a beginner? Also, any thoughts on best driver and amp for either one?

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
If you buy the plans the THT is a very easy sub to build. The bought plans come with an easy step by step guide to build the subwoofer. I have built one in the past and it was extremely easy.

I am also building another horned subwoofer that on simulations is going to be even more sensitive and powerful than the THT. BUT that being said I have to draw everything and plan everything myself. Easy to do also but not near as easy to do when a set of instructions are already made for you like the THT.

BUT thats why we are all here on this forum. Build any type of sub and we will be here if you have any questions.

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
I've recently built a TTLS sub using BFM's plans and they are very comprehensive and well detailed so just about anyone could build his subs..
If you have the tools, then it should be a breeze!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that the table tuba you're talking about? That actually seems like a really good idea. My wife even thought so (imagine that). Is this easier than the THT to build or about the same?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!
I could not find an ultimate tht thread so i ask here about it.
I've read a lot about tht and thtlp. To fit trough my door i can build a tht low profile version. I've read that there is no significant difference between tht and thtlp in Frequency response.
i was thinking about the (cheap)15" dayton dvc loaded tht lp. But in europe its not that cheap.

now my questions:

1. How about the same driver in 12" size? I don't care about the SPL. But how much low end will i lose with 12" driver?

2. amplification: i have a sony TA-N55ES stereo power amplifier. would this work with this project?
As i see i dont need high pass filter for tht.
For the low pass i was thinking to do this by an av receiver trough LFE (i need to buy one since my stereo amp will be used for tht, and later i'd like to upgrade from 2.1 to 5.1 anyway)

3. equalization: Can this be done by a software maybe? EQ for sub looks very expensive:S

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
You should not substitute any driver other than what is recommended by the designer. There is zero room for substitution here as this is about as budget friendly as you can get for this fold. Other drivers available in Europe would lend you more closely matched with some larger models designed by lilmike. Ie, the f-20, lil wrecker, microwrecker, housewrecker

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
And remember the THT is roughly a 25hz FLH design. Not sure what your after extension wise. There are other designs that do as well or better and use a 12". There is also a 12" version of the THT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm brand new to this sight and have posted a couple of times but mostly just read. I've been reading a lot about the THT Sub and it sounds like a great project. ... Thanks again.
I'm in your neck of the woods as well, also researching the THT and thinking about designing my own folded horn. From what I've read, if you buy the BFM plans and stick to them you can't go wrong. IF you have wood shop at your disposal all the better although there is a site that sells flat packs with all the wood CNC cut. My problem is I want to get my hands dirty, even in the design phase.

Best of luck to you, and please share your progress when you build!

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
last summer with absolutely no DIY speaker building experience but plenty of tools and time, I built 3 BFD THTLP's, a 24" because the plywood was free and my neighbor and I wanted to have something to do (he advises) and the 2 30 inchers started the next day after hearing the 24 for about 10-15 minutes. Get the plans, read and re-read the plans, follow the plans, don't be in a hurry, you will not fail. and while you wait for the PL to set up for the next phase, then you can make your way up the learning curve about designing your own, but you'll have something to listen to and be inspired by in the meantime.
for building inspiration, check out the AVS DIY section and look at the pictures for the LTD02 designed SUBMAXIMUS. you'll see his final set of "data" and "instructions in posts 63 and 66, all of which can fit on the back of a postcard. and I had a ton of fun walking thru it first on paper and then just kept screwin' and gluin'.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts