21 - 40 of 182 Posts

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That is made from 2400mm x 300mm x 16mm (x2) and 1100mm x 300mm x 16mm (x2) black laminated MDF and was the 'expensive" part of the project. I stacked the two long lengths, then drilled the holes for the 6 pieces of pine which were screwed into place before adding the raw MDF baffles. I just wish I had used the 2mm plastic edging instead of that 0.5mm edging. The 2mm stuff actually takes a knock without chipping or cracking.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hopefully the guy that I'm helping will sign up and post photos of his baffle wall soon. He is doing the full wall. I think given the chat on other forums, this is really a good place to start over and develop the HT version.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Great job on the baffle wall Mark!

I was wondering during your course if they stipulated an ideal radius for the curve?

Cheers
Simon
Thanks Simon.

Curve for the wall? They actually seemed to suggest a flat wall and toe the speakers in from that. I ran with my three panel wall because it made sense at the time and was fairly easy to construct. In fact, during design, my speakers were on wide stands under the screen that mimicked a baffle wall to a degree and they were already set up in the same fashion, so I knew then that they idea would work.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Hey Mark..

You mentioned previously that not all speakers are suitable for a baffle wall set up..particularly speakers with rear drivers and or ports, which I can understand..
But are there any other types of speakers that won't work in this type of installation?

For example I have Behringer Monitors which are nearfeild speakers..Would this type of speaker be suitable in a baffle wall?

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Thanks Simon.

Curve for the wall? They actually seemed to suggest a flat wall and toe the speakers in from that. I ran with my three panel wall because it made sense at the time and was fairly easy to construct. In fact, during design, my speakers were on wide stands under the screen that mimicked a baffle wall to a degree and they were already set up in the same fashion, so I knew then that they idea would work.
Thanks Mark :T

Forgive my ignorance, but what advantage do you get by building a baffle wall that you don't get by treating the entire wall behind the speakers?

Love the rig setup by the way, great idea for a rented house! :T

Cheers,
Simon

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hey Mark..

You mentioned previously that not all speakers are suitable for a baffle wall set up..particularly speakers with rear drivers and or ports, which I can understand..
But are there any other types of speakers that won't work in this type of installation?

For example I have Behringer Monitors which are nearfeild speakers..Would this type of speaker be suitable in a baffle wall?
Not sure how near field monitors would go baffled to be honest. This is assuming they are the same type as I have seen in recording studios that sit on the top of the console. I have seem images of monitors that have been "built in". What makes such a speaker "near field" anyway?

The baffle wall is about directing all the sound into the listening space and provides a fixed symmetrical environment for them. The same speakers behave differently in a free space on stands due to the interactions with the room. The baffle simply acts as an extension to the speaker's own baffle and it is treated for HF reflections, something very few rooms (apart from curtains which are usually not symmetrical to the speakers) are.

Thanks Mark :T

Forgive my ignorance, but what advantage do you get by building a baffle wall that you don't get by treating the entire wall behind the speakers?

Love the rig setup by the way, great idea for a rented house! :T

Cheers,
Simon
Hi Simon,

It appears I just answered that in the response to Prof. Providing a controlled symmetrical space that is treated. A standard room could be anything from open plan, brick, timber, plaster or even glass. The chances of finding a room that is truly symmetrical with good acoustic properties is rare as most "rooms" were made for living in, not designed for film and music playback. So whilst the baffle really only controls the direct area around the speakers, it has to be more predictable that the average room.

Yeah the rig was designed to be movable. I wanted what would normally be considered a "no go" for a rental. In the end, a rental is still just a roof over my head (with many restrictions), so I figured that if I am living there and paying for that privilege, why not enjoy the system to the max in the space I have.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Not sure how near field monitors would go baffled to be honest. This is assuming they are the same type as I have seen in recording studios that sit on the top of the console.
They are..
What makes such a speaker "near field" anyway?
To be honest I don't know..All I know is that they can be positioned close to the recording engineer and that monitors generally have a very flat response through the frequency range..
The Behringers are virtually flat from 55Hz - 21KHz..

I was a bit concerned when I bought them as to whether they would give enough projection of sound for a theatre set up..
I found that they have as much projection as any other speakers and my individual sound levels remained about the same as set for my previous speakers!

I can't see that there would be any problems with mounting them in a baffle wall!

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think part of what makes a "nearfield" monitor nearfield - is dispersion characteristics.

I think that most of them are designed to have very wide dispersion, since they likely are sitting just a few feet away from your face --- when used in a studio.

Prof - which ones do you have? 2031A?

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Jim..I think you're right..I seem to remember reading somewhere about their dispersion characteristics..
Wide dispersion would seem to be ideal for a front stage set up..

I have the 2030p's..I was considering the 2031p's but they only come in 4 ohm..

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Very happy with the 2030's..infact I've just ordered another pair to use one as my centre speaker (only wanted one but they come in matched pairs) to have all matching speakers across the front..for when I build my baffle wall..

They have a very smooth sound across the range with silky highs!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Here's some monitor graphs to look at: http://dtmblabber.blogspot.com/2011/01/review-of-polar-graphs.html

I actually have 5 of the 2031P in my theater. Price to performance I couldn't be happier. It was only $152 for my matched pairs X2 and then I paid $140 for the center channel. I probably should've bought another pair for the extra $12 and had other parts laying around in case something broke.

anyway,

Dan

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I found that they have as much projection as any other speakers and my individual sound levels remained about the same as set for my previous speakers!

I can't see that there would be any problems with mounting them in a baffle wall!
And from that, then neither do I. I guess the so called "near field flat response" would almost be like an anechoic response - IE flat with no assistance from the room itself and why they can be used close to the mixer. Some "music" speakers seem to need 'breathing space" to give their best. These would be no good for near field monitoring and may even suffer as a result from being baffled.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I did treat behind mine in the current room because I had already done the treatments prior to moving the gear in. In the room prior, I didn't really have much apart from a few pieces of foam sheet thrown behind for good measure. In the town house where the rig first built (07) was built, I had nothing behind the wall.

The real THX wall I got to see also didn't appear to have anything either. It seemed that they simply used the space behind as storage.

21 - 40 of 182 Posts