Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

81 - 100 of 182 Posts

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Having a coffee break, so I got a couple of shots of the bottom support framing before I go any further..

The vertical post in the centre supports the weight of the centre speaker now, but that will be removed later..

Break over!..time to get back to work..:D

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Yes, I see you only have 3 fingers left--and a thumb. Perhaps a hard learned lesson. :)

Dan
OT: Did anyone ever see that episode where Marge talks about their 5 member family and has to hold up a finger on her other hand?

BOT: Prof, I'd say your right to leave the top and bottom open. That wall construction is looking good.:clap:

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
OT: Did anyone ever see that episode where Marge talks about their 5 member family and has to hold up a finger on her other hand?
Yes I did!..That's what I have to do!! :rofl:

BOT: Prof, I'd say your right to leave the top and bottom open. That wall construction is looking good.:clap:
Thanks Mark..I should have some more pics later this morning..

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Progress update..

First panel is up..

And all three panels are now in place..
The black vertical lines where the panels join is not gaps..it's black paint..The butt joints are almost airtight..
But I did make a mistake with the cutout position on the right panel..Nothing "No More Gaps" can't fix! and that cutout is square..for some reason the camera has distorted it..

Today I'll be covering the panels and fitting and wiring up the speakers..Hopefully finishing the job..
It was quite a shock for me last to have to watch the evening entertainment on a small TV screen, for the first time in a long time! :rubeyes: :D

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Baffle wall covered with the car carpet..

Speakers in position.

The new AT screen installed..

I'll be re-calibrating the sound system over the next couple of days with MCACC and an SPL meter..
I don't expect to get a correct balance for a few days until the new centre speaker has worked in..

I did an initial calibration last night and briefly watched a movie..The first thing I noticed was that in one of the scenes where there were a group of people in a room, the ambient sounds were well projected from the left and right hand sides of the screen into the room, giving more of a feeling of being there..:T

Tonal quality was quite different than I've been used to, as my fronts were previously mounted above the screen..and the EQ will definitely need some further adjustment..

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Thanks very much Simon...

I can't wait to get everything tuned in to hear the end result..
I did notice last night that there is a good spread of voices across the screen, right where they are positioned!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
That looks very cool Prof and I am sure you will love how the sound and picture matches. Just one thing, I would have placed the L and R speakers in a bit. If you didn't want them inside the 1.78:1 area as I did, I would have made the three panels the same. If it were mine, I'd be reversing the L and R panels.

Anyway, listen to it first and lets us all know how this sounds. It looks terrific. Job well done.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Thanks Mark and thanks for all your help..:T

Just one thing, I would have placed the L and R speakers in a bit.
Aha!..I wondered whether you would pick up on that!?..In actual fact the L&R speakers are inside the 16:9 image! The screen actually extends past the outside of the main frame! :D

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Thanks Dan.

My personal suggestion would still be to stuff the ports with cotton balls especially since they are hidden. Those ports are you only real source of diffraction and if you kill it, it should be a truly top notch speaker. Absurdly good for the cost.
Look here:
http://dtmblabber.blogspot.com/2011/01/review-of-polar-graphs.html

Not a subtle improvement.

Dan
Wouldn't stuffing the ports with cotton balls tend to raise the resonant frequency of the base/mid driver, or is this negligible?

·
Registered
502 Posts
You welcome Prof! Just keep going on this thread. I'm enjoying it.

It's pretty subtle: http://dtmblabber.blogspot.com/2010/07/bass-changes-from-portenclosure.html

The improvement in treble clarity isn't make r break, but to me it's more audible than the dB you loose in bass. You have subs right?

I think the only reason Behringer put those ports in there is to make them look like the Genelecs that have nearly identical looking graphs and looks.

Dan

81 - 100 of 182 Posts