Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

101 - 120 of 182 Posts

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
By dialed in I mean that when the new speaker locations and spacings are tuned for the new distance delays, reverberations and resonances of the room.. and all three speakers are balanced for identical outputs, in correlation with the surround speakers!..
Dialed in is a lot easier to say!! :rofl:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Thanks Mark and thanks for all your help..:T

Aha!..I wondered whether you would pick up on that!?..In actual fact the L&R speakers are inside the 16:9 image! The screen actually extends past the outside of the main frame! :D
OK cool :) So given you have room behind the screen, will you back light the rig to show the speakers?

This is one thing I wish I could do now. I am having a think about the time and effort needed to change the baffles from the front of the timber that they are screwed to and re-attaching them to the rear of the timbers. This would give me about 35mm clearance to put some lighting in there. I have to change the fabric soon anyway, so thought it would be neat to do the whole job whilst the screen is out. I'm normally not a procrastinator, however I am struggling with the idea of pulling my rig apart and seem to be delaying the inevitable. It will because it must happen soon :)

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
The centres of the L&R speakers are about 150mm. back from the screen..I would have enough room to put in some back lighting, but it doesn't really appeal to me..I have seen several theatres done like that and it looks interesting as an effect, but a lot of work for a very occasional showing, since I'm the only one watching 90% of the time!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Fair enough. I listen to a bit of music in my cinema, so would love to have a "feature wall" and also because I think my new active speakers are quite sexy, would like to be able to see them. They cost enough, and I don't get to look at them.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Regarding the backlight, I have some cheap blue LED lights behind my screen. With the lights off and the blue light behind the screen it looks like a stage, and actually pull me into the music in a way I wasn't expecting. Don't disregard the visual cues for stereo!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I used a pack from IKEA, actually. No dimming capability, but they are RGB so I have a choice of colour, flash and gradients. I keep them on blue, no flash, of course. I have them on a cheap RF switch so I can control them from the couch. I used some diffuse white paper (stuff you would wrap food in) to diffuse them a bit. That way I don't see any pricks of light through the screen, just a nice, diffuse light. I use two strips on either side of my screen. I have a curved screen, so the light is quite a bit brighter on the sides. I can snap a picture when I get home if you want.

http://www.ikea.com/no/no/catalog/products/60116540

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
It's most likely some OEM chinese thing anyway, so I'd check dealextreme or some such site for a similar product. I'm getting several more of these units today, going to use them for accent lighting among other things.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
I Have MCACC in the Pioneer AVR..
Same here and I find it works quite well. I re-ran it yesterday and when I looked at the data, the left and right are identical, but centre is slightly different. I am not sure why, but hey in the of the day, the exact positions of the slides on an EQ mean nothing, it is the final sound output that counts, and the slide position is simply where they have to be to get that end result.

Based on my data, I can see why you were recommended to stuff the ports with cotton wool. Even though I made my new trapezoid enclosures slightly larger, combined with the baffle wall has created a mid bass boost which MCACC has corrected for by pulling out those frequencies.

I'd like to see how different (if at all) Audessy would be.

Thanks for that. I might go and get one tomorrow. Have some lenses I need to assemble now :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Then you should install the cotton balls prior to running MCACC. You can't fix diffraction with EQ, but you can bass at your listening position.

Dan

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Just a very quick slightly off topic post since we were on the LED subject. I snapped some photos of my screen just to let you see how it looks. Not easy to show the effect with an iPhone camera with no exposure control, but it gives you an idea. Install was super easy. It's behind the screen so I'm the only one that will ever see it, so looks doesn't matter as long as it works.

No LEDs

With LEDs on and lights off

Behind the screen with LEDs on. Note the diffuse paper.

Behind the screen, LEDs off to show it better.

101 - 120 of 182 Posts