Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

161 - 180 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Here are some photos of that baffle wall project I have been involved in.

Image 1: LCR and Sub in place.

Image 2: Screen in place.

Today was the first real look and listen and it impressed me. I so want to upgrade my screen fabric now.

Attachments

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Those speakers look to be very close together..What width screen is he using?
Also is there any reason why he has his sub mounted behind the screen area and not on the floor?

Upgrade your screen fabric to what!? :scratch:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Those speakers look to be very close together..What width screen is he using?
The screen itself is 2820mm wide (3000 including the frame). Yes they do look close in that picture. They are actually about 2250mm apart. The speakers are inside the 1.78:1 area and listening tests proved the sound to picture match works extremely well. We had to pull the grills off before putting the screen up.

Also is there any reason why he has his sub mounted behind the screen area and not on the floor?
The SUB is sitting on a concrete step that runs the full width of the room.
The room is kind of a basement - retro fit out to make a room under the house. The house is on a side of hill, so he built a room underneath using the highest part, then decided to built that into a HT. I actually suggested that he turn the room around and he then could have had a much larger screen than the 120" (approx) he has now. Even though his retro fit allowed a brand new plan, he still wanted to have the room the way it is now.

Upgrade your screen fabric to what!? :scratch:
I have the stuff on the left. He has the stuff on the right. I too want the stuff on the right.

Even with my glasses, I could not see the weave past 1m off the screen. My front row is 2x the image height or just under 2m and I can see the weave that close. My fabric has 95/5% screen surface to perf. This stuff has 97/3%. More surface area and smaller holes per square unit area make this a better AT fabric.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
The screen itself is 2820mm wide (3000 including the frame). Yes they do look close in that picture. They are actually about 2250mm apart. The speakers are inside the 1.78:1 area and listening tests proved the sound to picture match works extremely well. We had to pull the grills off before putting the screen up.
That is surprising that they're that far apart!

The SUB is sitting on a concrete step that runs the full width of the room.
That explains it! :D

I have the stuff on the left. He has the stuff on the right. I too want the stuff on the right.

Even with my glasses, I could not see the weave past 1m off the screen. My front row is 2x the image height or just under 2m and I can see the weave that close. My fabric has 95/5% screen surface to perf. This stuff has 97/3%. More surface area and smaller holes per square unit area make this a better AT fabric.
Is this the locally produced 4K fabric? I tried Seymour AV 4K fabric and didn't like it as much as their XD material..To me it looked to be a lower gain and the overall image was a little darker..
It certainly does allow you to sit closer though and not see any texture..

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Is this the locally produced 4K fabric? I tried Seymour AV 4K fabric and didn't like it as much as their XD material..To me it looked to be a lower gain and the overall image was a little darker..
It certainly does allow you to sit closer though and not see any texture..
The true SmX 4K looks exactly the same the 2K (on the left) only the threads are half the size resulting in a much finer weave.

Everything else I have seen in Australia (whilst good) is not the same. I got to meet Ruben when I was in the US last year and naturally he was not going to disclose the source of the fabric nor would he supply a sample.

It appears that both fabrics in my image are made from the same stuff, just a weave pattern on the stuff I used. The image is bright with really nice whites. You can clean it with a damp cloth and it does not rip easily.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
You can clean it with a damp cloth and it does not rip easily.
That's where the two types differ..According to Chris, you can't clean the Seymour 4K. material (which is actually Screen Excellence fabric) with just a damp cloth!..Infact one of the reasons I went for the XD material..

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
That's where the two types differ..According to Chris, you can't clean the Seymour 4K. material (which is actually Screen Excellence fabric) with just a damp cloth!..Infact one of the reasons I went for the XD material..
Did they give a reason as to why? This stuff is an indoor shade or blind material after all.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Chris didn't elaborate as to why you can't use a damp cloth..
To look at the two types..the XD looks and feels like a blind material, but the 4K. is totally different..It's quite a bit thinner and feels more like a cotton dress fabric!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
It's quite a bit thinner and feels more like a cotton dress fabric!
Is it like the Screen Research product? That felt like tee shirt material and looked to me like a pain to keep clean.

Dry dust clothing would be the best solution to the other weaves with damp cloths used only to remove a stain.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
I've not seen the Screen Research fabric, but it does sound very similar..

With my theatre being right next to the kitchen, cooking fumes tend to find their way into the room..hence the need to be able to wash the screen as opposed to just dry dusting..

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
I had a similar issue when I was living in a town house. Since the new room has been commissioned, there is a NO FOOD policy in there and drinks are restricted as well.

Looks like I might have another Baffle Wall project coming up in the coming weeks. This will be a retro fit and conversion from 16:9 to an AT Scope screen.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Good one..:T Take lots of pics..

I made a further improvement to the Baffle Wall last night..

My construction leaves an opening at the top and bottom..no perimeter frame..
Whilst the bottom opening goes down to the floor carpet, the top opening goes up to the plasterboard ceiling..
I felt that this might tend to reflect some of the higher frequencies and interact with the front wave to some degree..so I fitted some convoluted foam on top of the wall, covering the open area..

I noticed an improvement straight away with a much smoother mid to high frequency response..
Voice clarity improved as well..
I watched Iron Man 2 and in this movie, Tony Stark (as his character depicts) regularly tries to talk over everyone else and rapidly and you're trying to hear two conversations going on at the same time..
I noticed that I was able, for the most part, to clearly hear each word in both conversations..
There is also some drum beats in the movie and they came through very strongly and clearly..

The Baffle Wall just gets better and better!! :T

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
I noticed that on your pics and wondered if that would cause you any issue. Clearly it did and you resolved it quickly. Well done.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Thanks Mark..The fronts are now sounding like I've expected them to sound..:T
The sub on the other hand is still not completely to my satisfaction..I'm very limited for placement as the sub sits on a sand filled base..
I may have to get an Antimode 8033 EQ unit to balance out the lower frequencies..

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I have a question I hope someone can answer. I was planning on using 2" OC703 covered in black cloth on the wall behind my AT screen but stumbled onto this Baffle wall discussion. Would that be close to the same as a baffle wall?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a question I hope someone can answer. I was planning on using 2" OC703 covered in black cloth on the wall behind my AT screen but stumbled onto this Baffle wall discussion. Would that be close to the same as a baffle wall?
Old question, but in case someone is reading excellent thread....the answer is: Not really unless the speaker faces are flush with the front of the OC703.....and more important there's a solid wall behind the OC in which the speakers are mounted. It's really about the solid wall, and less about the damping on it.

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
How do I know if a baffle wall is the way for me to go? I have JBL 2360 horns and custom bass bins, La Scala bass bin center with EV horn and a DTS-10 sub that are going behind a 18' wide AT screen wall. None of the speakers are ported and all but the sub and the custom bass bins will be right up against the screen or a least within 6" of it. The sub will be firing 2-3' behind the wall and the custom bass bins are shaped like a pie with the curved area facing the center and screen area.

·
Registered
133 Posts
How do I know if a baffle wall is the way for me to go? I have JBL 2360 horns and custom bass bins, La Scala bass bin center with EV horn and a DTS-10 sub that are going behind a 18' wide AT screen wall. None of the speakers are ported and all but the sub and the custom bass bins will be right up against the screen or a least within 6" of it. The sub will be firing 2-3' behind the wall and the custom bass bins are shaped like a pie with the curved area facing the center and screen area.
One of the biggest reasons for them: Increasing speaker output (more SPL). Do you need more SPL? (Doesn't seem like you would, based on what you describe! :bigsmile:)

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
One of the biggest reasons for them: Increasing speaker output (more SPL). Do you need more SPL? (Doesn't seem like you would, based on what you describe! :bigsmile:)
112db with 1 watt at 1 meter... I don't think I need more SPL. I think I could hit reference levels with a headphone amp on the horns. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
112db with 1 watt at 1 meter... I don't think I need more SPL. I think I could hit reference levels with a headphone amp on the horns. :)
Okay so the other reason often cited for a baffle wall is to reduce diffraction, for clearer sound. But especially if one tries to get fancy and not have a flat wall, it is apparently easy to do more harm than good.

161 - 180 of 182 Posts