Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Working on a theater room and was wondering about optimal hight of a second row of seats.
https://speedtest.vet/ https://vidmate.bid/
Bottom of screen is 3' off the ground first seating row will be about 9' back from screen. How high up would you estimate the second rows heads should be to be able to see the bottom of the screen?

Geometry is failing me right now?

·
Registered
2 Posts
You should draw it out to scale with head heights consistent for front and back rows. Then draw a line from back seat eyes that misses the top of head in front row all the way to the screen wall. If your drawing skills aren't up to it, use a laser pointer that goes from proposed back row eyes to screen wall that misses what ever you have set up to simulate a head in the front row. If the laser sits on a tripod in the back row, you could just keep raising it until it misses the head in the front row. I typically like to use a 12" back platform because it allows the screen to be lower on the wall. Remember, all head heights should start consistent with both chairs upright.

·
Registered
210 Posts
1 foot of elevation of the second row works in most situations. That's too big of a "step up" for comfort, so you need to have a 6-inch high and 10-12 inch deep step from the floor up to the level of the second row. Then there is the need for space from the front row to the back row... this depends A LOT on whether you are using recliners in the front row, rear row, or both rows. If you are using recliners, you have to open both rows at the same time to get a feel for how much spacing between the front row and second row will allow both rows to recline. With your screen 3 feet above the floor, the raised second row might have a better angle at the screen than the front row.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is how I've done the tiered seating in my room. The riser is 9" high and all the front seats recline so line of sight is no problem.
(Sorry the room is a bit messy at the moment).

Brown Property Couch Comfort Building

1 - 4 of 4 Posts