Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know how to setup Time Reference in REW when you are not using a physical audio card. Is there a software driver or mixer where I can set this up?

I am using the Dayton UMM-6 mic and a USB DAC as my audio devices.

·
Registered
261 Posts
not possible as far as I know, you can use HolmImpulse time lock for this but have to take measurements in quick succession as it drifts out of sync over time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've struggled so much with this, it was doing my head in.

The simplest solution I found was to delay one speaker by some large time (say 20ms), take a measurement (sine sweep) two octaves either side of the crossover point (ie: 750-12000hz for a 3000hz crossover), observe the delay with the impulse (you'll see two impulses), set the delay based on the two impulses, fine tune delay looking for best smoothness of the measured response (+ phase).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've struggled so much with this, it was doing my head in.

The simplest solution I found was to delay one speaker by some large time (say 20ms), take a measurement (sine sweep) two octaves either side of the crossover point (ie: 750-12000hz for a 3000hz crossover), observe the delay with the impulse (you'll see two impulses), set the delay based on the two impulses, fine tune delay looking for best smoothness of the measured response (+ phase).
I am not sure if I can follow you here. I believed that Timing Reference is a parallel real time meaurment of hardware delays to overlap with your acoustic measurments.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here we see the impulse from one speaker around 20ms before the impulse from another speaker. In this case, midrange/tweeter.

This is simply an measurement sweep two octaves either side of the crossover point through both speakers simultaneously.
The timing reference doesn't work with USB mics, and all other methods I have tried have lead to frustrations, see post two of this thread for an example of something that can lead to the frustration.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts