Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,393 Posts
Your room is not very large so that means you could choose either bookshelf or tower speakers. Some of that decision comes down to how much space you have available for the speakers, and budget of course. Since you didn't give any indication on what you are looking to spend you could get suggestions that include very inexpensive speakers or very expensive ones. Some idea of budget would be necessary to ensure the suggestions people give will be affordable for you.

Since the system will be used for 50% movies you really should have at least the front 3 speakers (center, left and right) along with a subwoofer. That is the minimum configuration for any type of home theater. 5.1 would be better, but at least with 3.1 you will get enough of the soundtrack to make for a good experience. Unless the speakers you choose are very inefficient, have a low impedance and you like to play really loud your receiver will be fine so that shouldn't be a big concern. You will be able use almost any speaker.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,393 Posts
Today i went to my local electro shop for a bit more information.
Not much on display as they are busy doing a change in the audio area.
The vendor told me the best package for my goals was 2 tower speakers and a subwoofer.
The center should not really be necessary.
What is the use of the center ? I find on the internet it is mostly used for speech in movies.
Did he know you wanted your system for TV and movies too? If so I would be careful taking any advice from him. The center is the most important speaker in a home theater so saying it is not necessary makes me think he doesn't know a lot. For music 2 speakers and a subwoofer is fine, but not for a home theater. Some receivers have an option for a 'phantom' center, which takes the portion of the soundtrack that should be going to a real center channel and makes it play from the left and right speakers instead. It does this by splitting the output and blending it back together. Not many people use it though because it doesn't sound very real.

I just did an online check what was available for my budget.
I am a bit overwhelmed ...
Also not sure what to look for , what is important ?
Number of speakers in the tower ?
Number of drivers ?
What brands make good speakers ?
The number of drivers, the type, configuration all of that can matter, but if you focus on too many things you will be overwhelmed. This is part of the reason I asked about budget; the amount of money you have to spend will narrow down your options, making it easier to decide.

Each speaker company creates their own sound; some are rich, others detailed. You can have very good high notes, excellent midrange or deep bass. Some will sound good when played loud, others work better when played soft. The more money you spend the more of these you will get from the speakers, but the best thing to do is decide what qualities are the most important to you and focus on speakers that have those.

What is the best option ?
Go for the best tower speakers and budget center en subwoofer ?
Or divide the budget evenly between all speakers ?
Everything needs to be pretty much equal, otherwise you create an imbalance. For example, suppose you buy great speakers and an inexpensive subwoofer. The speakers will have a nice sound but what you hear from the subwoofer won't be as good, which makes everything sound worse.

Let's start with the tower speakers as they are the most important ones in a set. (I found that somewhere on the internet)
I found really cheap ones , and very expensive ones.
What makes up the difference ?
Your link to 'expensive' speakers are made by Monitor Audio, a company many people think make very good products. If you want a nice sound those will probably work really well. Would that still leave you enough money to get the matching center and a good subwoofer? Speaking of that...

If you do get a center it should match the left and right speakers. By "match" I mean be from the same company and use similar drivers. This matching is important because a lot of the TV and movie soundtracks transfer sounds between the front 3 speakers. If the center is very different from the left and right speakers sometimes that can be audible and distracting

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,393 Posts
I hate the effect of centre speakers and think they are over-rated.
Not sure I've ever heard anyone say that before. Considering how critical it is to the overall soundtrack a central is more underrated than overrated

I have been using a 2.1 system since my second year of getting a 5.1 system. I enable phantom surround sound mode sometimes, but usually the improvement in 'rear' sound is inferior to just getting a great sound from the front and sub-woofers (I connected 3 sub-woofers to my system's single sub woofer output and placed them in non-mirrored locations around my listening area).
2.1 for HT is merely amplified TV speakers. In that configuration there's no real soundtrack so a lot is missing.

When I'm in the market for new speakers, I take a few CD's to the Audio store(s) with me and sit down for some long listening sessions. The CD's I take with me are CD's that I know like the back of my hand (have listened to countless times) and that contain a good mix of voices (male and female) as well as different instruments - especially piano, acoustic guitar, and something that produces a lot of solid bass.
Sadly different CDs can differ wildly re their recording quality. If the CD is bass shy, you would tend to buy bassy loudspeakers. If shrill, you would end up with dull loudspeakers!
Based upon the highlighted section above I believe cobraguy accounted for CD quality, preferences and a large portion of the frequency spectrum.

Reactions: needspeed52
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.