Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My theater/music room is 24x14 with my speakers and screen on short wall, that is only wall I can use as other has a doorway and I dont want to position speakers and screen on long wall. With my main concern being music and other factors I cant use wall as a fixed screen solution, my speakers are several feet out for one and well I just cant use wall period.
I use a pull down screen but waves are always an issue in time so I wonder about a possible solution I need opinions on. What I am thinking is a fixed screen piano hinged on ceiling that I could swing up when not in use, I suppose I could just use a hook to hold it up when not needed and swing it down when I want to use it. I could either order a fixed screen or paint one on a sheet of ply as long as wood is in perfect shape then make a velvet border, I was even thinking on backside I could mount some room treatment that if its lightweight enough may even be of benefit for my Audiophile passion when screen is up out of the way,
Ok so this may sound stupid or crazy but what do you guys think? Thanks Chad

·
Registered
39 Posts
I considered your hinged screen idea, but ran into some ponderables re: pulley and line locations. difficult to snug it up to the ceiling unless pulleys are in line with bottom of screen frame when raised. Then the lines are in the viewing angle unless you detach them when the screen is down.
Now I'm thinking about a moveable frame on wheels (two inverted T sides).

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not sure why you would need pully? I was thinking of just mounting a flagpole mount to rear and use a broom stick to lower and raise it and just lock it with a simple hook when it is up, Does this make sense? I figure if hinge is set right the screen will rest at perfect ideal position with simple gravity or perhaps some mass added to bottom to insure its proper resting point.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Weight of the screen would be a consideration. I would also not mount the top of the screen itself near the ceiling since it would cause problems with light being reflected from the screen illuminating the ceiling. That shouldn't be a problem though since it would be easy to make some extensions to go from the top of the screen up to the hinges on the ceiling. Sounds like an interesting project.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have waves on my pull down DaLite screen that just wouldn't go away. As a partial solution, I used one of those hand-held steamers for clothing and just go over it a few times. It reduced the waves somewhat but couldn't totally eliminate them. Next up is just to purchase a screen made with a "low" flex material to minimize this from happening again.

Kenobi

·
Registered
64 Posts
Get some bulk bungee cord, not too thick, get a couple of used 5-pound dumbells or other weights. use the bungee cord to pull down on both ends of the screen's bottom corners (use a clip or loop or slide-knot) so you have a few pounds of "pull" on the bottom edge of the screen. If it won't lay flat then, it's because the screen isn't rolled perfectly flat onto the "roller" inside the retractable housing. Completely unrolling the screen and rolling it up again may help with wrinkles also.

·
Registered
64 Posts
There are also "roll up from the floor" screens that have folding frames that unfold and lock into place when the screen is deployed... that always seems to do the trick for keeping the screen flat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts