Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an open living room and I am thinking of doing a coffee table sub. It will be for music and HT. I have a Dayton Titanic MK III. I used it in a sono sub tuned to 15hz with a net volume of 9'. I have 4 12" Polk PR's that are tuned to 15hz in 3.3' cabs. Could I use these instead of ports? I can not figure out how to model PR's in WINisd:( If I go Ported I could aim the port at the wall instead of the open area of a split level?
Thanks Guys.
Ben

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for moving me Mike. The Dayton is a 15, and the PR's are 12's. All I know about the PR's is that a single PR is tuned to 15hz in a 3.3^' cabinet. I have no idea about PR's. Can you add 2 or 4 PR's in the same size box, or does each PR require 3.3^'? I am not very good at making myself clear via a keyboard, but what I mean is if each is tuned to 15hz in 3.3 then would I need to increase box size to 6.6 for 2 PR's?
Thanks
Ben

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With a PR would that be full travel of the cone? It sounds like 3 would be real close in a 10 foot box. I get 16mm of full travel without pressing hard. The surround is very compliant. They would have to be vertically mounted for sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No dice on that. Info is proprietary:( I did a little calculating and figured the area of 3 12's is 325^", and the area of the 15 is 170. If the Xmax of he woofer is 20mm then the 3 12's would be plenty safe. To figure out a passive from what I have read you figure out the optimal ported box size, and match the PR's to tune to the frequency of the port? I do have an SPL meter, and the correction sheet from SVS. I also have a scale that is accurate to the 10th of a gram so I could tune the PR's. It's just the volume of the box I guess that I need reassurance on. I also didn't know if PR's were calculated to the volume of the box so you have been very helpful letting me know that I would need 3 for the 10 foot box:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts