Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to upgrade my sorry 10" Dayton sub to something worth listening to. I was wondering is it worth it to try and build a subwoofer or go ahead a buy a ready to go box, like an SVS or HSU sub? I have never built a box before, but I know someone who if I give them some specs, they could build it. He has been building car audio systems for 20 years.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'll tell you that I'm am no expert. I've only recently got into this hobby. About a month ago I built a simple 6cft ported box with a sub I had laying around with a little knowledge on the topic. It don't look professional but, I built it with my hands. Approximately $300 in cost. If I can do it you can do it.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers/13102-first-box-build.html#post117032

Half of the fun for the DIY project is the build! If you have access to the tools get your buddy to help you and build it. I liked it so much I'm building another! : )

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Half of the fun for the DIY project is the build! If you have access to the tools get your buddy to help you and build it. I liked it so much I'm building another! : )
That pretty much says it all.
However I will say that in most cases you wont get as good a sound and finish out of your first tries as an SVS PB13 Ultra or something along that line. But there are some great DIY subs that have been built by members on here that will do even better for less, its a matter of learning and building.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct me if I'm wrong, what I'm hearing is with a little trial and error, I can replicate what a pretty good sub does, and save a little money. I probably won't be building it myself, more than like I will let my partner do it and maybe put one of those fiberglass car audio finishes on it, Just don't want to sound crazy by not picking up an SVS sub (which are currently on sale) and have something that looks & sounds stupid sitting in the corner of the room.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mike P. definitely hit the first and most important question. Next would be how much room do you have for sub placement and does WAF play a role in the build? Different drivers require different size enclosures for them to work properly and you might have to take that into consideration before building.

I think you would be very pleased with the results if you build. I built my first sub a couple months ago and it far exceeded my expectations.

Take the time to read, ask questions and read some more. I read in this forum and others as well as several web sites for about 5 or 6 months before I decided to tackle my project. Now all I think about is what I will do different on my next build. :daydream:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The room is about 25 X 20, I was thinking about a 12" driver. Trying to stay under $500 seeing that I will need to get an amp too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts